Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Volvo to join V8 Super cars

Unveiled today, they wil be running the S60 with a V8 shoehorned in. To those not following the developments, they will be joining newcomers Nissan and Mercedes along with Ford and Holden, but unlike Nissan and Merc will actually be factory backed.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/volvo-c...ns-v8-supercars

I wonder if we can expect an announcement from another Blue and White brand????

Discuss :lol:

They don't exactly shoe horn the engine in, its actually the other way around, they build a chassis to the new V8-Supercar formula and then put a Volvo body on top of that.

BMW could do it easy enough, cant see why they haven't TBH, they have touring cars in Europe and America and it is a level of motorsport that BMW are actually good at. Would be good for the brand.

Would love to see BMW join in, would be good to bring a bit of Euro rivalry amongst the Australian rivalry in the same series.

Will be interesting to see these Volvos either way though. Will be interesting to hear their engines as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a OHC engine rather than pushrod like Merc have done.

Still can't decide if I like the sound of those Merc engines amongst the V8s though, went to Pukekohe and didn't quite sound right.

Volvo will be using their 4.4lt OHC V8 stroked to 5.0lt (or maybe tweek bore)

Merc's sound different because of the 'flat plane' crank they use, i actually kinda like the sound of them.

Rumour has it the next manufacturer in will be Audi with BJR (Brad Jones Racing) given their long association in the 90s & early 00s.

Edited by bellicose

They don't exactly shoe horn the engine in, its actually the other way around, they build a chassis to the new V8-Supercar formula and then put a Volvo body on top of that.

ahh so thats how it works. Im trying to get my head around it! Having never been a real follower of the series i wasnt sure. I was too young (if i was even born) when there was anything other than Ford and Holden in there, so it is all new to me. I was aware

Heh, Volvo aye, last manufacturer I expected to join!

Merc's sound different because of the 'flat plane' crank they use, i actually kinda like the sound of them.

Interesting, I didn't know they were using flat plane cranks.

ahh so thats how it works. Im trying to get my head around it! Having never been a real follower of the series i wasnt sure. I was too young (if i was even born) when there was anything other than Ford and Holden in there, so it is all new to me. I was aware

Seriously....

Skip to ~2:30 for the chassis stuff

i have a vid onmy phone of me walking around one of the unpainted chassis we painted at work. can upload it if someones keen.

i have a vid onmy phone of me walking around one of the unpainted chassis we painted at work. can upload it if someones keen.

Heh, Volvo aye, last manufacturer I expected to join!

Step back to the mid 80's and Volvo were in the top 2 or 3 cars in the ATCC (predecessor to V8 Supercars) with Robbie Francevic....

Seriously....

Skip to ~2:30 for the chassis stuff

Ahh interesting! Watched thevwhole thing ha

Volvo will be using their 4.4lt OHC V8 stroked to 5.0lt (or maybe tweek bore)

Rumour has it the next manufacturer in will be Audi with BJR (Brad Jones Racing) given their long association in the 90s & early 00s.

Oh true, didn't actually know that, explains the sound then.

Will be curious if that ends up being true then as to what Audi will bring to the field in terms of the car, Would say we'd be looking at a C7 shell, but would be strange since they don't actually make RWD cars and actually have said they refuse to make them,they wouldn't be manufacturer backed if that's the case.

Oh true, didn't actually know that, explains the sound then.

Will be curious if that ends up being true then as to what Audi will bring to the field in terms of the car, Would say we'd be looking at a C7 shell, but would be strange since they don't actually make RWD cars and actually have said they refuse to make them,they wouldn't be manufacturer backed if that's the case.

I think you missed the part above, that they aren't based on a production chassis, the exterior body panels are sat on a space frame chassis, albeit not as extreme as a DTM car chassis, which Audi do compete in, and are RWD.....

sky has lost broadcasting rights english premier league. now that 80% of the sport channel will be freed up i wonder if we will see v8 support races etc.

I think you missed the part above, that they aren't based on a production chassis, the exterior body panels are sat on a space frame chassis, albeit not as extreme as a DTM car chassis, which Audi do compete in, and are RWD.....

I know they aren't based on a production chassis but they do still use the shape of a production car as the actual shell around the outside which is what I was referring to when I mentioned the C7.

But didn't know that they competed in DTM as I haven't actually looked into DTM all that much.

I know they aren't based on a production chassis but they do still use the shape of a production car as the actual shell around the outside which is what I was referring to when I mentioned the C7.

But didn't know that they competed in DTM as I haven't actually looked into DTM all that much.

They only use the "shape". The Nissans are 25mm wider in the rear wheel arches and the front arches are 45mm further forward (as is the front wheel centre line compared to production Altima). The only production parts used are the 'A' pillar, roof skin (including outer roof rails), boot & bonnet.

Before the COTF came into force this year the old Holden VEs were actually 100mm shorter than the production cars (they took that 100mm out of the centre of rear doors). Just watched the vid' in the link posted, they say 92mm shorter so i was wrong BUT not by much.

Yes i am an avid V8Supercars watcher. (or should that be 'train spotter' haha)

Edited by bellicose

sky has lost broadcasting rights english premier league. now that 80% of the sport channel will be freed up i wonder if we will see v8 support races etc.

To be honest there wasn't a huge amount of EPL on Sky Sports so there won't be a huge amount of air time to fill. Now if they lost the rights to the NRL that would be a different matter!

From my experience there is not a lot worth watching in the support classes of the V8s anyways, Utes crashing into each other gets boring after a couple of laps.

From my experience there is not a lot worth watching in the support classes of the V8s anyways, Utes crashing into each other gets boring after a couple of laps.

I don't know, seeing an old 70's Celica running 2nd in the Improved Production races at bathurst was pretty kewl.

But agree demo-derby brUtes is naff...

DTM runs a lot of controlled equipment also are limited to ~470-500hp and 4.0l

The BTCC ran 8,500 RPM limits and controlled wheels (prob tyres too)

They both provide good 'racing' and the new V8 supercars (COTF) are quite a well spec'd chassis & component package.

Even the control engine teams can use (carried over from the old platform) are +600hp even though limited to 7,500rpm and 10:1 CR like you say, in a 2valve pushrod motor.

Sure, all that is a compromise (hardly neutered), but what would like to see?

What ever manufacturer that has the biggest cheque book dominate the field in a free for all....

I can do that on Gran Turismo.