Sign in to follow this  
sonny5cy

E30 cluster mods

I have recently bought a M tech II wheel (e30ftw) and cluster rings (JayCeeE30) for my 325i and finally had the time to install them. While I was searching the net on how to remove the wheel / cluster, came across a pic of an e30 M3 dash and got inspired to paint the needles of my cluster red. Forgot to take a photo of the cluster before I started but I'm sure everyone knows what they look like..

Took the front cover of the dash and installed the rings first

Posted Image

Started by masking the base of the needles, in case any red paint spill over to the black plastic

Posted Image

Used Tamiya model paint: matte finish, water-based and quite easy to control

Posted Image

I applied about 7-8 thin coats

Posted Image

Finished and slotted the unit back in place

Posted Image

The finish looks awesome and I am very happy with the result. It wasn't as time consuming as I expected it to be too - all up it took less than 3 hours (including drying time and removing/putting everything back)

Looks really good bro!

Mine almost looks that good, think you were a bit better on the brush then me though :P

Simple change but looks good in a e30 fans eye :)

Keep it up

Looks great, how is it at night thoigh? Wouldnt have thought much light will get through 7 layers of paint??

Looks great, how is it at night thoigh? Wouldnt have thought much light will get through 7 layers of paint??

Yea I thought of that before I painted, but visibility isn't an issue as the needles aren't transparent to begin to. The light source comes from the bottom of the dash instead of through the needles - in fact can't really tell they have been painted at night against the amber light.

Looks good, I want to do the red needles but they normally light up being white - I heard using a marker pen works best.

Looks pretty good! Well done!