Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Swapping Instrument Clusters on E30

I've got a manual E30 with an Instrument Cluster that has a clock where the rev-meter normally would be and i would rather have a rev-meter there.

Trying to keep the dash original BMW i didnt want to put some big aftermarket gauge on top, so i bought a whole cluster off trademe that does have a rev-meter in it.

The guy installed it for me, but he said that there was no wires coming up for the rev-meter. (I think he said he knew what to do, but didnt want to do it because he might break the electrics...)

Even though the car came with no rev-meter in the cluster, should there still be wires coming up for the option?

Is it a simple procedure to get some wires up there to get it going? Although I would much rather take it somewhere to get it done properly..

Any links to articles on Instrument Clusters for E30 would be great too.

Thanks.

It should just plug in and go. I've pulled apart two facelift 316's. One had a rev counter the other had a clock but both have the same wiring.

right. I might check it out myself and see where wires go and try figure it out myself. It looks like there are screw holes on the dash anyways from where a rev-meter use to be, so it may have been modified by a previous owner :wacko:

Thats what we did - a compete cluster. But there are holes in the dash from where what used to be a tacho...so when we plug in the plugs from the old cluster everything but the tacho works.

Guest Andrew

Thats what we did - a compete cluster. But there are holes in the dash from where what used to be a tacho...so when we plug in the plugs from the old cluster everything but the tacho works.

change the WHOLE instrument cluster

I really have no idea on what your talking about now.

Lol yeah i was rushing that one, let me explain better:

We bought another ENTIRE cluster - The whole thing. We got it switched over but they asian installing it tried to explain something about a yellow wire not being connected or something I couldnt quite understand.

On top of the dash, to the right, there are holes and a mark where an external tacho was installed - which meant they probably modified the wire from the ECU that would have controlled the tacho in the Cluster.

We'll probably take it down to Jerry Clayton and get it sorted by the pro's.

Guest Andrew

Lol yeah i was rushing that one, let me explain better:

We bought another ENTIRE cluster - The whole thing. We got it switched over but they asian installing it tried to explain something about a yellow wire not being connected or something I couldnt quite understand.

On top of the dash, to the right, there are holes and a mark where an external tacho was installed - which meant they probably modified the wire from the ECU that would have controlled the tacho in the Cluster.

We'll probably take it down to Jerry Clayton and get it sorted by the pro's.

take it anywhere other than Jerry's - they will rape you.

Bavarian Motors 444 5312

Edit: Andrew and I crossed posted - that's what I was going to say.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Well I can afford it and I would rather take it to bmw. For $650 they are going to do a complete checkup and workthough of the car, and connect my new cluster correctly and fix a few issues with my tail lights and other random electrical issues. And a heap of other stuff.

Guest Andrew

Well I can afford it and I would rather take it to bmw. For $650 they are going to do a complete checkup and workthough of the car, and connect my new cluster correctly and fix a few issues with my tail lights and other random electrical issues. And a heap of other stuff.

seriously - they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

They just don't give a sh*t.

seriously - they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

They just don't give a sh*t.

Thirded

If its just the price thats wrong with them I really dont mind - unless you mean more by 'raped' then I dont see anything wrong with it?

If its just the price thats wrong with them I really dont mind - unless you mean more by 'raped' then I dont see anything wrong with it?

wow .... your either really minted or really stupid.... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Lol I suppose I better explain better...

There are 3 of us that own the car, so 3x the salary = 3 times cheaper...

But its probably the latter lol

I called the number someone suggested above, and will probably organise something with them.

Thanks for the advice guys :D