Sign in to follow this  
mrphil

e92 M3

I've been keeping my eye on the E92 M3 prices, watching them fall maybe into my price range.

and this car seems to be a hard one to sell. I first saw it listed by the ex-owner for i think $76k then the price slowly came down to about $70k.

It then got listed by a vehicle broker which didnt sell and now its for sale by a car yard which they had it for $69k-ish and now even they dropped the price to $66,995

anyone know this car? is there something thats putting everyone off it?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-608548652.htm

thanks

No idea about the car but it looks very nice =), Would just offer 60k and see what happens if they wanna sell it they will move.

Gosh its a nice looking car aint it? All i know is that Fast Fours dont have a very good rep and the M3 is probably above the average lending amount of their clients.

Gosh its a nice looking car aint it? All i know is that Fast Fours dont have a very good rep and the M3 is probably above the average lending amount of their clients.

Check their inventory...

But a lot of their cars are for sale on behalf of the owners.

They completely changed their target market when the import laws changed - and have done well.

Talk to the manager Dean, you can negotiate hard with him if you want to.

id be offering 66k but with the 36 month mech' warranty personally no way i'd be buying something like that without one

Sounds like there isn't any bad history on this car, how much is a 3 year mech warranty worth these days?

Tim 325

Not really into the 4dr plus that's a uk import, also Jeff gray offered me a 4dr with factory BMW warranty for the same type of money plus it was NZ new too

Both the 2-dr - which does look very good in that combo, and the 4-dr are early, fairly low-spec cars, hence why the price is dropping. Most buyers that are looking for a used E92 M3 are going to cherry-pick the later higher-spec cars for only a few $$ more.

Missing options - DCT, Variable Sport Steering, VDC and M-Mode buttons, and Navigation. Would you spend $60k+ on a car with no nav??

As it's an M3 you could probably live without the nav, but the other features really transform the car from a good one into an excellent one.

i'm just keeping my eye open at this stage, price wise is pretty good i think.

There isnt many second hand NZ new out there for sale, guess everyone is keeping them until the M4 comes out in about 2 years time

as for spec wise i would like a 09+ with DCT other than that i dont think i need anything else

Looks like a nice coupe that white one, that dealer has had some gems lately, I think they feed off ex lease trade in's. Would try low 60's, I bet it was traded for sub 50 ;)

Both the 2-dr - which does look very good in that combo, and the 4-dr are early, fairly low-spec cars, hence why the price is dropping. Most buyers that are looking for a used E92 M3 are going to cherry-pick the later higher-spec cars for only a few $$ more.

Missing options - DCT, Variable Sport Steering, VDC and M-Mode buttons, and Navigation. Would you spend $60k+ on a car with no nav??

As it's an M3 you could probably live without the nav, but the other features really transform the car from a good one into an excellent one.

I would say yes, yes I would, I have NAV on my smart phone that I just mount on my screen, its streams music and NAV through my Bluetooth and after owning cars with built in NAV I would not bother again, BMW's NAV system was useless and needed updating at cost all the time.

Have also had variable steering on a couple of cars and I would happily go without that also, a car should have one mode of steering, good steering, not veritable stages of average steering, not saying the E92 is average but the E46 IMHO is better with its one mode.

But I would not spend 60+ on a old second hand car with no factory warranty though, it would break and I could not afford to fix it :)

Edited by apex

Looks like a nice coupe that white one, that dealer has had some gems lately, I think they feed off ex lease trade in's. Would try low 60's, I bet it was traded for sub 50 ;)

I would say yes, yes I would, I have NAV on my smart phone that I just mount on my screen, its streams music and NAV through my Bluetooth and after owning cars with built in NAV I would not bother again, BMW's NAV system was useless and needed updating at cost all the time.

Have also had variable steering on a couple of cars and I would happily go without that also, a car should have one mode of steering, good steering, not veritable stages of average steering, not saying the E92 is average but the E46 IMHO is better with its one mode.

But I would not spend 60+ on a old second hand car with no factory warranty though, it would break and I could not afford to fix it :)

been waiting for a trade in at a bmw dealership which could offer a factory warranty but none has come up in the last 8 months but that 08 sedan (not a bad thing as the prices on these have been dropping)

hahaha i think the dealer might give me a boot if i gave him a low 60k offer....they normally make about 2-3k? on a car?

anyone know what a mech warranty is worth these days? autosure terms and condition says they wont insure a m3

Way, way back in the day I got my e36 M3 for 15k off sticker and the sticker was already 8k lower than the equivalent at TMBMW, NZ New, FBMWSH.

It's always worth a try!

When we brought the E30, it was $26995, on sale for $23995. We paid $17500 B) I wonder though - most buyers of a 325i SE in Takapuna probably wanted an Auto though.

The previous Toyota Surf that dad had was on the yard for $36995, he knew the yard owner, but only paid 27,000.

Sure, there was more margin back then, but they could have paid anything for it - if the car sold traded it on had good margin, they may be happy to cut their losses (ie make the minimum) on this one to clear it. It's not a car you sell every day!

This car used to belong to a guy in his 20s/30s. Saw it mostly in Auckland city, sounds phenomenal. Recognizable by the monochrome M badge on the rear diffuser grille.

From memory the plate that was last on it was M3 POWR

No. Far from it at this price!

Advertised at 67k, assuming you can deal in cash I'd start at about 55k or even lower... if he already considers you a genuine potential buyer (i.e. he let you test drive it, you got a mechanical inspection etc) he's not going to kick you out for sure and you can always go up.

Way, way back in the day I got my e36 M3 for 15k off sticker and the sticker was already 8k lower than the equivalent at TMBMW, NZ New, FBMWSH.

As apex says above, if it's a trade I bet he got it for close to 50k. Each and every week it sits on his lot it costs him $500 or more...

It's always worth a try!

When we brought the E30, it was $26995, on sale for $23995. We paid $17500 B) I wonder though - most buyers of a 325i SE in Takapuna probably wanted an Auto though.

The previous Toyota Surf that dad had was on the yard for $36995, he knew the yard owner, but only paid 27,000.

Sure, there was more margin back then, but they could have paid anything for it - if the car sold traded it on had good margin, they may be happy to cut their losses (ie make the minimum) on this one to clear it. It's not a car you sell every day!

wow you guys have great negotiating skills

i will see what happens in the next few months, if its still there and nothing else has turned up i might fly up and give him a offer. its not the perfect car for me but if the price is right it will do lol

thanks guys

There are some good aftermarket systems available, and some good apps on the phones now, however, the navigation part of the system is becoming the "heart" of a lot else that is going on, with the hard drive, DVD player, etc all linked in. As the ConnectDrive and Apps continue to grow the importance of the Nav to the system will also increase. Personally I am not keen on many of the aftermarket stuff as it looks messy, with wires and sh!t hanging down and stuck onto the dashboard with a suction cup that leaves marks (and you have to take it out each time you park in case some drop kick pinches it), unless it is a Dynavin or similar which looks almost factory.

I take your point about the switchable modes, etc. but even with an M3 do you really drive it in full-attack "Sports" mode all the time - it becomes a PITA in every-day commuting and traffic (I shied away from buying an E36 M3 for exactly this reason - a real pig in UK traffic). So being able to select between a more "relaxed" drive when required makes it a much more liveable daily proposition to me, and the programmable M Mode buttons make it much, much easier to swap between your various modes than changing 10 different settings individually via the iDrive.

Would be great to have a good daily and an M3 for when you fancy a spririted drive, but not many people are in that position, so this to me is a good solution to having one car do both jobs well. Just my 2c..