Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Ultrafast broadband

They are putting fibre into our street at the moment but none of the guys doing it seem to know much more than their specific job.

Once it's in the street how do you connect? Is it via some kind of converter buried at the letterbox that hooks into the existing phone lines or do they need to run fibre into the house & connect it from there? Doesn't seem feasible to run fibre to the house in our case without digging up the drive which they won't be doing...

They are putting fibre into our street at the moment but none of the guys doing it seem to know much more than their specific job.

Once it's in the street how do you connect? Is it via some kind of converter buried at the letterbox that hooks into the existing phone lines or do they need to run fibre into the house & connect it from there? Doesn't seem feasible to run fibre to the house in our case without digging up the drive which they won't be doing...

They have to run fibre from the box on the street to the house. Will be different engineers. We've had UFB for a while but were lucky because the box is right outside our house. Orcon installed for free and there was minimal digging/disruption required by Chorus engineers who did it. Orcon were the only telco offering immediate connection when we did it, had to register interest with Vodafone and Telecom and wait.

Having this installed Monday , found this article which explains it well.

The fibre can sometimes be blown through the existing telephone line tube or they can boar under the existing driveway.

Edited by Neal

Yep we're moving to an area with fibre in Aug and I had to order it specifically to be run to the house

i got VDSL a couple of months ago (its fibre to transfer box, then just normal existing cables that deliver faster speeds). I had a 50% increase in speed, but it's unstable. Originally i thought i was getting fibre, but its not the same thing, as its jut ADSL2 on roids apparently.

this costs $10 more a month, and from 1.3/1.4mbs down to 2.2mbs down, and 150kbs up to 550 kps up.

We used to be lucky to get 10Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up - and that was one of the fastest ADSL2+ connections around. UFB is a MUST if you can get it...

Posted Image

And I've seen it faster up and down (up to 100Mb/s down and 50 up!).

We used to be lucky to get 10Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up - and that was one of the fastest ADSL2+ connections around. UFB is a MUST if you can get it...

Posted Image

And I've seen it faster up and down (up to 100Mb/s down and 50 up!).

:blink:

Interestingly Dad sent me this last night when he was testing his office's Internet speeds.

This is in the Auckland CBD.

Posted Image

That was using a wired connection. This is using the same internet through WiFi - Way worse!

Posted Image

They will most likely have to dig up something to run the fibre to the house however Chorus are supposed to return it to the same standard as it was before. Id be taking pictures before they start digging anything. It will take two or 3 guys all day to install fibre to your house so be prepared to take a day off work or someone to be home all day. Think very carefully about where you want the fibre jackpoint in the house because I know that the wireless routers Telecom use will limit your speed to the slowest connected device which is usually peoples phones. Eg if your phone is only capable of 13Mbps then all devices will connect at 13Mbps and you wont get close to the maximum potenial speed. Also speed isnt guaranteed, 80% of your speed plan is what to expect. Its very rare that you will get max speed or consistly maximum spees.

Interestingly Dad sent me this last night when he was testing his office's Internet speeds.

This is in the Auckland CBD.

Posted Image

That was using a wired connection. This is using the same internet through WiFi - Way worse!

Posted Image

Does depend mightily on the router. The test I did this morning was wireless - wired it's usually only 1-2mb/s faster. With office internet (as in my own office) the wireless connections are usually massively impacted on by the number of devices connecting. In our office it starts to slow down considerably when there are 20+ devices on the wireless router. We're looking to upgrade to an Airport Extreme which can apparently handle 50 connections with little drop in speed.

Posted Image

Have had it for 2 months now and yea its fast but its nothing special.

It ended up taking 6-7 months to get it installed about 12 large holes around my flats was a mess, They did end up cleaning it all up but that took some time.

^ what are the monthly caps (if any) on this? And how much does it cost?

I'm scared of shitty internet when I return from Europe where I have 120Mb/s with no caps at all for EUR25 a month.

I'm in the habit of consuming well over 100GB per month... how much will that cost me back in NZ?

Unlimited $135 with VoIP phone, 100down 50 up.

can we expect our providers to pay for installation if we want to connect to them? or do we not have that bargaining chip yet?

I was told that its free until an account with $2M in is empty. Chorus has put up 2M to get the ball rolling.

But with my install costing over 10k (paid by them) I don't think that will last long

Nobody will ever sign up to it if it costs $10k to install. As it is I would have a hard time justifying it over adsl - we have no problems viewing movies or YouTube & I don't really see the benefit of the higher speeds

It's more if your street has it or not ATM, pretty sure it's only around 20% of streets have it :/

Reading all this caused me having second thoughts on getting fibre. Just moved into this area where I can get fibre, it sounds really cool thing to have. Wife and I are going to ditch SkyTV and use that monthly money towards Igloo box, downloads and streaming services (AppleTV & the likes). I thought the extra speed and monthly cap will be a good thing for doing these things.

As for the caps, I asked Telecom about it and they say they can't do caps on fibre just yet. So, effectively $95 for unlimited data until (I guess) someone abuses it bad enough or they figure out how to do it.

Its Cus telecom has just come to the market with fiber and still getting software inplace to control the usage, And it will change. I'm not 100% sure if that comes with a phone line or not? As telecom is not doing VoIP they will be using the copper lines for the phone.

And Igloo is just as bad as Sky, Paying $7 for 1 movie? Paying $15 for one sporting event? + $25 a month for a few channels in my view its a waste.

Its Cus telecom has just come to the market with fiber and still getting software inplace to control the usage, And it will change. I'm not 100% sure if that comes with a phone line or not? As telecom is not doing VoIP they will be using the copper lines for the phone.

And Igloo is just as bad as Sky, Paying $7 for 1 movie? Paying $15 for one sporting event? + $25 a month for a few channels in my view its a waste.

Telecom fibre comes with voice on copper included, their fibre cost the same as VDSL, so I guess as might as well go fibre. Only thing is it takes 2 days to install. So I'll have to take time off work, which is a pain in the backside if you ask me.

I bought the Igloo box only because they are on special, same price as a normal Freeview box and with the extra channels as option if I want it. Movie price ain't that bad, same as AppleTV or a video shop for new movies.

Edited by SpikeyLemon

We rarely watch terrestrial TV so fibre's great for use with AppleTV etc. Biggest thing for us as we have a lot of family overseas was a decent upload speed for video calls. Was always rubbish quality on 1mb/s up now it's perfect. We pay the same as Chris, $135 unlimited including calls to anywhere in NZ and Aus.

Install at our place was free too but wouldn't have cost them much as no digging required and the house is less than 5m from the box on the street. Orcon was the only provider that offered it immediately though. Telecom and Vodafone you had to register your interest and wait.

This all makes me want to cry seeing this, I run a IT repair business from home now and I get 3mb/ps!

Try running 3x Vista machines which have had a factory reset & trying to do updates!

This all makes me want to cry seeing this, I run a IT repair business from home now and I get 3mb/ps!

Try running 3x Vista machines which have had a factory reset & trying to do updates!

Bugger. Is Dunners on the list for UFB or is it just Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch?

A friend of mine from L.A. recently moved to Matakana just north of Auckland, he was horrified when he found out it would be at least a couple of years before they can even get broadband, let alone UFB. His choices are dial up, satellite, wait for 2 years or pay for the broadband cabling himself (tens of thousands of $$$s).

Had the fibre installed, nice tidy job by the techs.

Small problem of a 20 Metre gap between fibre termination point in garage and office upstairs were my network terminates / media servers are etc. Chorus hadn't received a custom install order for cat5 termination away from OTN.

Call back Telecom ,very understanding , but due to Wellington earthquake will take time to get chorus techs back to complete install. Will mean another day at home.

Bugger. Is Dunners on the list for UFB or is it just Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch?

Tis the whole of NZ

Timaru is one of the first to be done and there is not many taking up on UFB