Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

Is this E34 Touring lovelyness

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=620499318

Is it worth paying 4k for such a beautiful example? anything to really watch out for?

It's a pretty late E34 touring - It's what I was looking out for when the E39 showed up... Shame that ones auto though :-( It's probably not a bad price - the Tourings are always quite a bit more expensive than a comparable sedan.

Someone who knows E34 can better sort you out, but If that has a sunroof, they are very complex and fairly troublesome.

Good manual conversion candidate!

looks like a good one from a quick flick through. you can get them hard top like this, or some have a sunroof that goes right the way from the front to the back which some people say are crap some say they are fine, depends where you read.

on the whole, most will agree E34 probably one of the most bullet proof BMWs regardless if touring or sedan. they are pretty rare to develop problems that other BMWs get.

Probably the only common problems to the E34 are that they front control arms (the bush) needing to be replaced more often than most cars. best solution is to run E32 750iL bushes when it comes time to change them, they are orange capped rather than blue cap. and the other problem is the wiring loom on either the tailgate or bootlid depending on if sedan or wagon can wear out and cause electrical issues with the rear taillights. Yes happens on both body styles.

But both of these jobs pretty easy to sort out.

good luck

Wow, that's a nice one.

the double sunroof is awesome... but not really needed.

the other issue is hard to get touring parts, rear hatch wiring wears out... and fuel consumption.

oh and hydraulic rear suspension, if it's fitted which it probably is.

Edited by antil33t

How poorly is the fuel consumption compared to a standard 525iA? The Riced 528 e34 i had in S.E.Asia was horrendous, but that was probably due to the management being sh*t.

How poorly is the fuel consumption compared to a standard 525iA? The Riced 528 e34 i had in S.E.Asia was horrendous, but that was probably due to the management being sh*t.

no worse than a sedan if driven the same. I was getting about 9.5L/100km out of a 525iA Touring i had at one point, only driven in suburbs of lower hutt pretty much. Keep away from a 520i, they are much worse on petrol, and avoid M20 powered ones if possible, though i dont think that engine ever came in a touring anyways

Nah there's no M20/M30 powered Tourings.

I think a manual 525i Touring would be the tits. however the 5 Speed ZF auto in this car is pretty good (for the time)

I would definately be looking at this car if you really want an E34 touring, as it has everything you could want.

Mine has crappy fabric interior, and missing the cargo blind and rear wiper... all of which are IMPOSSIBLE to get easily.

Edited by antil33t

looks like a good one all the good later features ,

no sunroof which is a good thing

nz new , the alot better ZF trans .

3 spoke steering wheel

ews etc

go for it

When they do actually come up, the 525i Touring usually seem change hands between 3-4k depending on condition. The V8s more like 6-7

When they do actually come up, the 525i Touring usually seem change hands between 3-4k depending on condition. The V8s more like 6-7

about right , except the odd bargain v8 one :)

or super scruffy calipso 525i one's

brendan still has the vtec powered one in his drive way

engine coolant problem , trans is juckky , scruffy interior , nice paint job from someone's brother :unsure:

I've recently spotted a 540i E34 Touring in Dunedin, in a dark/black/green colour.

Has Roof Racks too... there's even a rough as guts 525TDS in Manual around here <.<

I've recently spotted a 540i E34 Touring in Dunedin, in a dark/black/green colour.

Has Roof Racks too... there's even a rough as guts 525TDS in Manual around here <.<

huh , sounds like teh colour of mine one ,

i just picked up some factory roof rack sfro it too. had to buy then sell another 525iT to get the racks.

has the Mk motorsport alloys on it now.

roof racks sitting in the shed waiting for a use like ski's or a bonnet on the roof etc

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

about right , except the odd bargain v8 one :)

or super scruffy calipso 525i one's

brendan still has the vtec powered one in his drive way

engine coolant problem , trans is juckky , scruffy interior , nice paint job from someone's brother :unsure:

VTec????

huh , sounds like teh colour of mine one ,

i just picked up some factory roof rack sfro it too. had to buy then sell another 525iT to get the racks.

has the Mk motorsport alloys on it now.

roof racks sitting in the shed waiting for a use like ski's or a bonnet on the roof etc

ohh are they racks that go into the rails on the roof? hmm...

VTec????

your brother spray painted V-tec on the side of that 525iT you sold brendan

ohh are they racks that go into the rails on the roof? hmm...

yes the fit directly into the rails and lock in with a key

i had to get a key made to get them off the car i brought , cost me $20 for 2 keys

^Is that Techno violet? or a special mix?

its petrol mica metalic

pretty rare colour

hard colour to photograph

http://www.autopower.se/modellguiden/farger/petrolmica.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

HAH! got the VIN off the owner, WBAHJ62020GD13364. 4spd ZF .... would it take the later 5 spd auto zf?

yes all m50 e34 models are 5spd autos

japan imports have the jatco type

all other markets have the better ZF type

HAH! got the VIN off the owner, WBAHJ62020GD13364. 4spd ZF .... would it take the later 5 spd auto zf?

It will be a 5 speed ZF, not a 4 speed.

So. I won it. I hope to pick it up next weekend. let's see how things go.

well done,a e34 touring will be cool to own

oh hey, I collected it .... and I guess the rear hatch wiring loom gave out within two hours of changing hands. I am not joking, the rear hatch lights were working when I was testing it out with the owner; and then when we are driving back to AKL ... BAM! the rain comes and SH2's bumpiness must have caused something to wear out.... and the front screen wipers came loose. :lol: So the tail lamp warning and rear brake light warnings come on the dial when i hit the brakes for the first time and stay on.

It has chinese tires on.... wobbly as. Headlining sags, no biggie though as it doesn't intrude in.

on the bright side, the driving is awesome... the ZF is responsive, the SLS system is a year old. alloys have little to no curbing, engine sounds sweet, all electronics work, even the pop up rear window washer. :lol: