Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Beer...glorious beer

Did any of you get to try either Monteiths Saison or Bohemian Pils? Probably two of the best beers i've ever ever had. Neither of which is made anymore, and in the Bohemian Pils, was never realeased publicly.

saison was a great beer, i loved it, as did my brother, who was smart enough to stock pile a fair bit for himself!

Come to think of it, I forgot that Warsteiner was a good drop too, used to buy it in 24 bottle plastic trays, good sh*t.

The monteiths Radler isn't a bad drop for a sunny afternoon

Come to think of it, I forgot that Warsteiner was a good drop too, used to buy it in 24 bottle plastic trays, good sh*t.

The monteiths Radler isn't a bad drop for a sunny afternoon

Radler isn't the one that taste like half lemonade? If so I thought that was a terrible beer.

You guys obviously need to have some Real Beer

Did anyone see a doco a while ago about beer tasting? They got 5 guys who reckoned they knew there beers. Blindfolded them, and gave them a range of beers, from ranfurly to corona. Anyway barely any other them could tell what each beer was. Point was most people buy beer based on image and advertsing and make up their mind from that.

Edited by petone

Did anyone see a doco a while ago about beer tasting? They got 5 guys who reckoned they knew there beers. Blindfolded them, and gave them a range of beers, from ranfurly to corona. Anyway barely any other them could tell what each beer was. Point was most people buy beer based on image and advertsing and make up their mind from that.

yup.

saw it, was classic, just shows you that its all the same, you just prefer it cause it costs more..

yeah but image, brand etc, affect my brain, which does affect how they taste, so it its legit to buy based on what my brain tells me.

If you drink the Lion Brown straight from the brewery bar in Welly where it's actually brewed it tastes 10x better than the sh*t they produce up in Auckland.

Same goes for Monteiths, you drink the tap beer which is brewed down south and you'll notice it's significantly better than the stuff they bottle up north.

It's always a sad day when a brewery shifts it's processes up north because it invariably loses it's taste. I'd swear i'd believe it that they're all the same once they're brewed up north.

yeah but image, brand etc, affect my brain, which does affect how they taste, so it its legit to buy based on what my brain tells me.

fool.

If you drink the Lion Brown straight from the brewery bar in Welly where it's actually brewed it tastes 10x better than the sh*t they produce up in Auckland.

You are exactly right, the Lion Brown from the Brewery on the waterfront in Wellington, is actually really nice. I was very surprised.

Right so I'll put some Tasmin Bitter in a bottle that says kronenburg and charge you three times the price.

Beer club brew from the Wekaweka valley!!

Otherwise the usuals Becks,Stella,Grolsh,Mac red,Monteiths(southern) and a bit of Nuccy brown or Boddingtons :wacko:

yup.

saw it, was classic, just shows you that its all the same, you just prefer it cause it costs more..

What a load of bollox.....they took FIVE guys and your trying to tell me they made a point of the results !

Just shows how some people will believe anything :wacko:

Judging by what some people have said in this thread Ive no doubt we could line up several beers and probably identify most if not all of them.

Not a big beer drinker, more of a wino (yes and proud of it)

More of a wheat-beer & red ale fan. Current favourites Founders red head (organic beer, Nelson I think) and Hoegaaden white. Also fairly partial to a good pilsner every now & then.

Radler isn't the one that taste like half lemonade? If so I thought that was a terrible beer.

Yet very good if you want to get pissed in a hurry!

went through a bit of it at winter fest in queenstown.

not the sort of beer i usually drink but hey its not all bad. maybe im old enough to be a bit more openminded to trying different things. the "only homos drink becks" (or whatever) gets a bit old.

but i have to say the best beer is in europe, and budvar is one of them.

More of a wheat-beer & red ale fan. Current favourites Founders red head (organic beer, Nelson I think) and Hoegaaden white. Also fairly partial to a good pilsner every now & then.

Reds?

NZ has some good pinots, but they are a rip off.

Liking Syrahs atm. Prefer the french style. NZ has some good ones too.

Check out Alain Gralloit(sp?). About $40, but its as good as some $100+ stuff.

If you arent into reds, or you say 'they all the same/cheap is ok for me' you haven't had real quality. I used to drink supermarket plonk, and was happy with it untill i was ruined by being introed to some quality.

Mt difficulty was one of the first i tried, light fruity, very NZ pinot, not too expensive. Try it.

Its a curse though b/c im picky as now.

Oh and i liked wine before Sideways, and Merlot can be ok. :lol:

More of a wheat-beer & red ale fan.  Current favourites Founders red head (organic beer, Nelson I think) and Hoegaaden white.  Also fairly partial to a good pilsner every now & then.

Reds?

NZ has some good pinots, but they are a rip off.

Liking Syrahs atm. Prefer the french style. NZ has some good ones too.

Check out Alain Gralloit(sp?). About $40, but its as good as some $100+ stuff.

If you arent into reds, or you say 'they all the same/cheap is ok for me' you haven't had real quality. I used to drink supermarket plonk, and was happy with it untill i was ruined by being introed to some quality.

Mt difficulty was one of the first i tried, light fruity, very NZ pinot, not too expensive. Try it.

Its a curse though b/c im picky as now.

Oh and i liked wine before Sideways, and Merlot can be ok. :lol:

OMG you are a wine drinker?? I wouldn't have picked that.

Plenty of good value kiwi pinots in the mid-$20's range. If you like Mt Difficulty try some of the other central otago wines... Rabbit Ranch is a regular in my house, around $22-27 per bottle depending on where you buy it. Marlborough now doing some decent pinot too. Unfortunately with Pinot you don't always get what you pay for. Plenty of stuff around the $40-60 mark that is very good drinking and still extremely good value relative to comparible french burgundy.

Recently have been drinking plenty of pinot, cabernet, shiraz/syrah. If you like a decent shiraz try D'Arenburg Footbolt, good value again in mid-$20s.

For whites generally I go for Rieslings (mostly dry ones), the odd Savvy, and quite a bit of Pinot Gris. Again mostly the more austere & dryer Tokay Alsace style (try Veuve Roth Pinot Gris, upper $20's per bottle). Not a big chardon fan, especially the heavy gisborne oaked ones.

OK I could ramble on about wine for an age.

If there are more winos in the house maybe we should start a new thread.

Perigrins pinot 2003 :thumb:

Mt difficulty is tops also.

Waipara

Muddywater

Cornerstone

Te whau,Two bottles in the rack.Expensive but bloody good.

Real winos drink red :mosh:

I love red, but know sh*t all about it. My mother is a hardcore wine buff, so everytime I can I sneak a peak in her racks and note the brands and then buy from those which ones I can afford - system seems to work, but don't ask me anything about wine - I just know that if I follow that system I am rarely diappointed. :D

so everytime I can I sneak a peak in her racks

rank

Guest Spargo

Ive no doubt we could line up several beers and probably identify most if not all of them

Truth to that.

Over the Lions tour, some welsh chump bet me his welsh jersey that I couldn't identify the whole montieths range and whether it came from our kegs or our bottles.

Result?

12/12 for the bartender, and a jersey to wear home. Result!

rank

Was waiting for some sick c**t to pick up on that. Congratulations Gus- you did not disappoint.

Congratulations Gus-  you did not disappoint.

does he ever?

oh sam thats pretty impressive, i dont know many, if any thst could roll like that on beer tasting

Edited by *sic