98000kms

Just spent over $1000 on the car including:

Water pump

Thermostat

Coolant flush

Cam belt

Tensioners

Front control arm bushes

Body and interior is almost faultless. The car is the best condition E36 I have ever been in.

$4000 - 4500?

Photos would help,

Sounds tidy and great condition but despite that it's a 1993 and I personally wouldn't pay 4000-4500 for it..

Especially if its a sedan

Yeah sorry its raining here today so no photos.

Its a 93 but doesn't seem to have suffered like all of the other early e36 cars.

The roof lining for example looks brand new.

I paid 3k but spent a bit on it so would like to recover costs.

Basically I don't think you will be able to recover the cost.

You will probably get what you paid for the car. But the new buyer will just have the peace of mind that it has been looked after but most don't want to pay more than they have to and also given the year it's skipped over by a lot of E36 buyers as they could get something a few years newer for around 3k.

I guess it depends how long you don't mind having the car for sale if you sell it. The low kms is the best draw card in my opinion. You can try for $4k but you will find it might sit for a few weeks before you get an interested buyer.

Buyer's remorse?

Lol, pretty much what I was thinking!

Miles, from what Ive found people just dont like to pay money for BMWs regardless of condition. If you look at wanted ads on here when it comes to 36's everyone want the big engine, manual, low ks and mint condition (generally in a coupe) but they want it all for under 5500. Then you go to the real world and see that cars like that are few and far between. The BM market really is a strange thing.

As RJS said though lower ks is a draw card (as most people are firm believers in the KM fallacy) and it depends on your deadline for sale. If youre not worried about shifting it quickly, ask a higher price and hope that the right buyer comes along but beware of it becoming a stale listing on trademe.

Yeah I would say buyers remorse is a fair call.

I love the car but I can't afford it right now. Really I need some thing cheaper to run and get me through the next year anyway.

I would be happy to let it go for 4k. I realise it is an old 318i but it really is MINT condition with less then 100000kms and over 1200 in recent recipts and that has to be worth some thing.

I don't really understand what you mean by you can't afford to run it. It's not a hugely expensive car, nor should it be costing you any more money in terms of repairs since it's been done, or fuel since it's a 1.8L. I duno but it seems more sense to keep it!

It sounds like a minter, more reason you should keep it and have trouble free motoring rather than sell for loss, downgrade to a $2000 car then spend $2000 on repairs and you end up with same money spent and a lesser car than this tidy e36!

Just my 2c

Yeah I would say buyers remorse is a fair call.

I love the car but I can't afford it right now. Really I need some thing cheaper to run and get me through the next year anyway.

I would be happy to let it go for 4k. I realise it is an old 318i but it really is MINT condition with less then 100000kms and over 1200 in recent recipts and that has to be worth some thing.

You want something cheaper to run (doesn't get much cheaper than a 318i?) and you've just restored it to what you call "mint" condition.

What else is there that needs to be done? If you've bought it, dropped a grand on fixes, I would've thought it would be a safe bet to keep it.

2c

I don't really understand what you mean by you can't afford to run it. It's not a hugely expensive car, nor should it be costing you any more money in terms of repairs since it's been done, or fuel since it's a 1.8L. I duno but it seems more sense to keep it!

It sounds like a minter, more reason you should keep it and have trouble free motoring rather than sell for loss, downgrade to a $2000 car then spend $2000 on repairs and you end up with same money spent and a lesser car than this tidy e36!

Just my 2c

You stalkin' me? :P

Edited by Tristan

Just my 2c

Totally agree! I get 600kms around town and 7-800kms open road running in my e36 it has had most preventative maintenance done, has a few more kms (150km) and i've spent a few $K doing this but in reality i'd be happy to get 3-$3.5k when i sell it. I'd definitely not sell to trade down for a Toyota/jappa etc so i can have a few extra $ in my pocket which i'd probably end up spending twice over getting the Toyota to a level i'm happy with or general maintenance. ;)

I am 22

Yes fair point from all of you guys. I will just keep running it at this stage. Not a fan of the M40 would prefer it to be an M43 but you cant expect much for 3k.

dont worry too much about model numbers and letters for now.. it sounds like a great little run about car. and once you start making some good money you can always find a nice 328 or something else later on!

a bmw is still a bmw!

Posted Image

You could get lucky. I know of a sucker that just paid 8.5k for a 98 318ti.

was that 318ti filled with gold bars or something?

but seriously... must have been a heck of a car if it sold for 8500....

You've said this.... quite a few times now.

Hi Miles

Ditto for me on what the other guys have said, specially posts 9 & 10!! What's now going to be 'cheaper' to run & own over the next 12 months?? old saying 'better the devil you know' also applies....

Besides which, if you get bored & want a bit less 'buyers remorse' - just smack some 'big-block' 325i badges on it - way cheap means of instant upgrade........ :rolleyes:

Edited by Phil-540i

Hi Miles

Ditto for me on what the other guys have said, specially posts 9 & 10!! What's now going to be 'cheaper' to run & own over the next 12 months?? old saying 'better the devil you know' also applies....

Besides which, if you get bored & want a bit less 'buyers remorse' - just smack some 'big-block' 325i badges on it - way cheap means of instant upgrade........ :rolleyes:

Why not an M3 badge? :rolleyes:

:) Its called 'progressive upgrades' - ya can'nt go to a M3 badge until you've already got used to the extra power the 323i badge brings with it........

Would'nt want it getting away from ya or anything, (specially once ownership timespan has worked up to 328 + M3 badging.......) :):lol:

I think it's a good idea to keep it and enjoy it. It should be pretty reliable now. Driving any kind of E36 is 10x better than their Japanese equivalent. You will always find a engine you want more than the one you have, it's the rules. That's what keeps people upgrading.

Don't think about the monetary value of your car just use it and enjoy it, if you bought a car for its value then you have brought the wrong kind of car. People always want what they don't have appreciate what you got and you will always win!