Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

How yellow do NZTA tolerate for high beams?

Found some other posts about yellow lights but they were mostly for tinting entire headlight. I found some yellow high beam H4s kicking around and think they'd look quite good on the E39. According to the NZTA website white or amber lights are acceptable. Just wondering if anyone knows how yellow they tolerate for amber bulbs (in the US for example they refer to amber traffic signals as yellow)?

Lols - you've got same thoughts as me - I'd be interested in knowing this too........apart from being 'tested' at wof time, I doubt there'd be an chance of a problem unless they were actually 'switched on' at night sorta thing.......if ya know what I mean...

Lols - you've got same thoughts as me - I'd be interested in knowing this too........apart from being 'tested' at wof time, I doubt there'd be an chance of a problem unless they were actually 'switched on' at night sorta thing.......if ya know what I mean...

I do occasionally drive at night though so would like my headlights to be legal and useable. The yellow looks nice, but looks can take a back seat if they're not legal as far as I'm concerned.

I do occasionally drive at night though so would like my headlights to be legal and useable. The yellow looks nice, but looks can take a back seat if they're not legal as far as I'm concerned.

what? Function over form? that's a first!

Ive got yellow tinted highbeam lenses and they get a wof and work sweet as at night

You do mean the high beam and not the dipped beam right?

If its aesthetics I do have to ask who will actually see high beam other than possums and moths?

what? Function over form? that's a first!

Ive got yellow tinted highbeam lenses and they get a wof and work sweet as at night

Awesome - got a pic?? :) I'm thinking theres a lot to be said for 'form', particularly if she has ideal 'form'........ :)

If its aesthetics I do have to ask who will actually see high beam other than possums and moths?

and the assholes that pull out in front of you :lol:

Yellow & amber have different definitions & different colour coordinate ranges. The US SAE rules are quite specific on the colour (although they call it yellow), as do the ECE regs for amber. As long as the bulbs have an SAE or ECE approval marking on them you will be fine. Make sue the bulbs are low UV & a brand you recognise.

I do question how much impact the bulbs by themselves will make - normally they are combined with coloured lenses.

Awesome - got a pic?? :) I'm thinking theres a lot to be said for 'form', particularly if she has ideal 'form'........ :)

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=42850

Here's my thread on the old girl with pics of headlights

Yellow lens or yellow bulbs?

I do indeed and aesthetically thinking less about lights when they're on scaring possums and more the colour the yellow bulbs give the reflectors. I'll pop 'em in and photograph over the weekend to show.

Yellow lens or yellow bulbs?

Just bulbs, the lens is clear but the bulb colours the reflectors.