Sign in to follow this  
JayCee

The Bagged Beauty

Hey bimmersporters,

For those of you guys whom followed my previous build thread, here is the new one.

I was working on my 1990 South African 325i but plans changed.

Its a shame as I thought I was progressing quite (slow) nicely.

the 325i is just tucked away in garage being neglected as I write this build thread on my newest addition to my e30 collection, il call her the bagged beauty.

Now heres the story.

I love e30s.

Gfs bro buys e30.

Spends 30k+ rebuilding and modifying one.

Buys house.

Sells car cheap to me.

Here we have my 1990 318i coupe.

M20b25 + getrag260 5 speed conversion

Rebuilt and stroked up to 2.8l at a cost of $8k (less than 2000km on rebuild)

Resprayed in imola red, bonnet is airbrushed to carbon fibre look

genuine m tech II kit minus spoiler which is laying around somewhere

M3 leather interior (cloth door cards though) :(

Full airbag suspension with dive bottle set up also

18x8 carson racing rims, can tuck 18s layed out

Extractors and euro tip exhaust

Angel eye headlights and front projectors

35% tints

Crack free dash

My to do list: (stuff I have)

16x9 bbs rs reps - wrapped in falkens and centres sprayed black (sitting in my room ready to go on)

Maplight mirror

Dash mat

Leather gaiter for hand break and gear boot

Boot lip spoiler

AVS 9 switch airbag box (smaller than current)

Gauge relocation panel (wrapped in leather)

Leather parcel tray and going to pick up my leather door cards from brent this month

personalised euro plate : F V TEC

Change tail lights to standard and indicators to clear

Mtech II steering wheel

To do: (need to acquire)

E36 window switch conversion

carbon fibre euro plate holder

black out roof (inside)

Get gauges relocated to front to suit my gauge relocation panel and install a led above to read pressures at night

get a bonnet painted same as car and get heat foam installed underneath.

Black 328i badge on boot and remove //M badge

Replace instrument cluster to get rid off that tacho gauge inside it atm.

thats all for now

Cheers

Edited by JCBMW

very cool.

not a fan of the tail lights personally but very tidy car

Saw this for sale - awesome looking car! Can't imagine spending money on doing airbags personally but engine work/paint/kit look excellent.

Like where you're going with your list. Pics on the way please.

Today I took her for a cruise,

I have a feeling she will be my sunday cruiser as it is a 2.8l with a 318i fuel tank so it gets pretty thirsty.

I put on a stanceworks sticker, changed indicators to clear, euro number plate surround until I get my p plates made up.

I installed the maplight mirror but havnt wired it up yet, put on the new leather gearstick boot and hand break boot.

I attempted to swap tail lights with my 325i but I will need to do some wiring as the original harness has been cut and spliced to adapt to these interesting aftermarket lights. I really want to swap them :(

I am planning on taking her up north next weekend and I will be looking at swapping rims with bbs in 2-3 weeks. Unless I wait until my wof 24th oct. The falkens are sweet but stretched as hell! :P

I think they will make a massive difference to the car.

Only one pic atm sorry guys,

Will take some more probably up north

And update as regulary as I can

Posted Image

Edited by JC_FVTEC_E30

Solid plans, should look nice. As said taillights look a bit dated, rear euro sized plate holder would look nice also.

Cool ride. Will look great with the red bonnet (not a fan of carbon look).

Agree with Graham on the rear euro plate holder and ditching the tails!

Tail lights defs got to be a weekend mish re wiring them haha.

and going to put europlate holder in rear when I get p plates. Dont like the jap blocks.

Dunno how long till I can suss a bonnet but looks like im on the same page as other bmw enthusiasts out there which is a good sign.

Cheers for suggestions guys keep em comin so I can make this beauty, beautiful

Today got the wheels put on at platinum wheels.

16x9 bbs reps with 20mm spacers.

When fully bagged put the guard sits on the rims lip.

Defs can only slam when parked up

Picked up leather door cards from brent in papakura was a good drive out.

Hope you guys enjoy.

Last pic is off ride height

;)

post-7153-0-15117800-1380363372.jpg

post-7153-0-27189000-1380363390.jpg

post-7153-0-74947000-1380363411.jpg

Was about to say it wasn't my personal preference for the tails and bonnet but I also see that you're changing them haha.
Nice job, can see everything's been done well, quite like what's been done with the gauges and all as well.

Yep, change bonnet and tails and you'll have one awesome E30

A cheeky pic of the rear.

Cheers for all the comments guys!

I am definatly set on chamging tail lights when I get round to it and the bonnet may be some time. The airbrush carbon looks awesome up close but I am keen for a body colour one.

When the rims were getting fitted up on hoist we found a few little problems. 1st is the passenger side rear cv boot needs replacing, (no biggie) tiny bit off play on drivers side front rack end. Amd the passenger rear airbag is missing the bolt that secures it in place haha so will be sorting them in the next few weeks.

Will probably put on the boot lip next weekend and possibly the leather parcel tray, depending on how busy I am.

Anything you guys can notice that you reckon I should do? Euro plate holder will be put in when I get my p plate manufactured btw :)

post-7153-0-32466600-1380441172_thumb.jp

Looking much better now. Do you feel that you would benefit from 15mm spacers (on the front/both)? just seems you might be able to bring the front down further and generate a bit more rake, while still having that 'hella flush' look? Just my opinion.

Edited by ScottE30

20 definatly needed only for a good amount of clearance between rim and airbag. 10mms on front left a credit card gap and rubbed on the brake caliper and 10mms on rear was touching the bag. Could get away with 15mm but it would be minimum clearance really. And plus the 20mms were already on car for the old rims haha. But we did try find a solution it took 2 hours to fit. But I guess I dont wana risk striking the airbag and popping it or else thats at least 200 each go

Yeah bro this is mean. Like a couple of others have said though, if we can get those little traces of Indian out of it like the bonnet and tail lights, it will be badass. Easy fix. Just take the bonnet off, repaint the red of the engine to matt black, and keep the bonnet off, who cares. Personally if you are going to change the tail lights, I wouldnt even go clear/red, I'd stick with the standard amber/red combo and make your side indicators amber also. It will look less "custom" and more o.g steez spec.

Looks so much better on the new wheels, makes a huge difference.

Nice

And you mentioned if anyone has any other suggestions:

If this was my car I'd get an EZ lip on the front and a heck spoiler on the rear, they look so good especially on coupes:

And you mentioned if anyone has any other suggestions:

If this was my car I'd get an EZ lip on the front and a heck spoiler on the rear, they look so good especially on coupes:

Hey bro

Getting a bonnet painted eventually,

and have standard tail lights but need to re wire them in will keep them amber/red yeah. Sticking with indicators though. Finishes the front off I reckon.

Ezy lip is that those little stick on lips? Basically could use as a splitter on the front? Where you get them from apart from ebay.

And yeah I agree the spoiler is nice! Is yours a tech I? I have a heck spoiler on my other 325i and I sold my tech 1 and 2 spoilers earlier this year.

How much poke do your 10" wheels protrude past yoyr guards? Mines crazy when not bagged, kinda thinking I have to swap rims for a day to get a wof then swap back to these

Also I have actually added a boot lip for now. One I had laying round left over from imports. Looks allgood very subtle. Just really dying to change them tail lights haha, and might clean up the leather doorcards and chuck them in sometime. Worry about black dye later

I have one of the EZ Lip's somewhere, can have it for $20 if you want?

I have one of the EZ Lip's somewhere, can have it for $20 if you want?

Sweet deal. Let me know if u find it and il take it :)

Very long time no post.

one word

turbo.

watch this space

Nice car.

Personally I'd only change a few minor cosmetics;

Change tail lights.

Debadge.

Smaller wheel spacers.

Clear indicator lenses.

The engine bay looks awesome.