Sign in to follow this  
nznew

central locking

This is the second time in about 3-4 years that my central locking stopped working, first time they put a new central locking computer thingy in (charged me about $1000) but not prepared to pay that again! Why would it stop working again? I can lock/unlock the doors individualy, the car is an 1988 325i 4 door, Any suggestions/help? thanks

post-6-1127263091.jpg

Just get an alarm, they'll be able to hook it up to work the central locking. Thats how mine works, I don't even have the control unit for the central locking. Looking at around $500 for a decent alarm installed.

dynatron is your friend. (3000 post whoreness - my interweb cock is Mc Massive now!)

Edited by *sic

My locking plays up every now and then when using my alarm, i'll arm the car and it'll lock the doors but then unlock them straight away, the car is still alarmed though.

Just get an alarm anyway for the security, simplicity, and cheaper insurance.

charged me about $1000

hmmm, sounds like someone was having a few rounds on you.

I may have a central lock widget, $950 incl GST, bargain!

Edited by m325i

sh*t a $1000 for something that doesnt even sound like it exists. bro you got ripped hard haha, without central locking working isnt that bad you will get used to it and you will save yourself another $1000 :lol:

Happened on mine, the CLCU (Central locking control unit) had caught fire nd burnt out, when i took it out the thing was just a melted ball of plastic with random wires hanging out, its located behind the speaker and under a little plastic hatch thing on the drivers side kick panel, i got a new one from german auto, 100 bucks wired it in myself, went like a charm :D

It was the clcu unit that was originaly replaced, but will get the alarm now sounds like the best advice and ads value at the same time. Thanks all for the great advice.

Andy, there is a CL unit which is behind the front right speaker, it can get easily water damaged due to where it's positioned which is probably the main reason why anyone's central locking may fail.

When my alarm was being installed I was told there was a design fault in the E30's that meant that the central locking system was put in a weird place that often exposed it to water. If you look in the hinge of your front drivers door tyhere is a plastic cover like showin in the pic below.

Apparently this is often exposed to water causing it to potentially screw itself over. The guy managed to fiddle round with it and get my CL to stop working and then working again.

It might be a case of opening that up and having a bit of a fiddle, see if you can get something back into place again to get it working.

Hope it somehow helps.

post-6-1127278240.jpg

Edited by E30stz

I have a few spare central lock relays if you want to try another factory one .....and I won't even charge $1000 for it :lol: or I would just fit aftermarket central locking, $50 from Dick Smith or Jaycar Electronics.

I had problems with central locking in a number of my E30's over the years and it was always water related. Fortunately every time it was corroded contacts on the plug on the central locking unit. A good clean with electrical contact cleaner (available Dick Smith) and some brushing with a brass wire brush sorted it.

Also dealt to the leaks through that rubber plug as E30stz described above and enclosed the unit in a complete plastic cover while I was at it. No more problems..

dont even get me started on bloody central locking, there are so many write ups on it, Just go buy some new motors, a relay, and a new alarm and put that lot in, disconnect the bmw stuff and your sweet. thats what i did and i dont have any probs! the after market multi fit motors bolt straight up and only cost $20 dollars each!

the problem is there is way to much stuff in them that can go wrong, its faster to replace than fault find i think.

the problem is there is way to much stuff in them that can go wrong, its faster to replace than fault find i think.

just think of the general age of all the vehicles, electrics dont like age..

like me.

sorry to hijack, but does anyone know the reasoning when it happens to an e36?. when i lock it, the locks come flying back up, but sometimes it works and closes properly when i lock the car from the boot...i will be getting an alarm soon but id just like an explanation, and possibly a quick fix/or where the CLCU is located in an e36. thanks

sorry to hijack, but does anyone know the reasoning when it happens to an e36?. when i lock it, the locks come flying back up, but sometimes it works and closes properly when i lock the car from the boot...i will be getting an alarm soon but id just like an explanation, and possibly a quick fix/or where the CLCU is located in an e36. thanks

dude i just laugh when i hear central locking probs now man i wasted soooo much time and money to that dam bmw stealership and they couldnt find what was wrong! they wanted to keep replacing parts till it worked so i dont know if they have decent auto electricians aye!

Sorry to hear the e36 is the same as all the others doing that uppy thing theres heaps of write ups on it aye....

well i asked our family friend who is an ex bmw technican and he told me that the dead lock has been out of sync, hence why it is popping back...he told me just to lock it fully to the left and hold down the drivers lock at the same time (while the window is down, and door is closed) ... eventually ull get all the locks, locking in sync and it will work for a while, and then play up...so u'll just haf to have another play with it.

it does it because when, say ur car battery dies, and when u unlock your car only ur drivers door is unlocking, causing the pattern to get out of synch.

hah! quite intelligent aye! its pretty cool for a car thats almost 10 years old i reckon aye