Sign in to follow this  
danutt

Found this in my car when i bought it?

found this in my car-its a customer key from superchips sitting in the glovebox...car been remapped?

this is not the exact chip but it looks exactly like it:)

yea ok fair enough so safe to assume my ecu's been remapped?

You know what they say about assumptions, they make an ass out of you and me.

gaz youre a crack up...fair enough though but then that leads to the next question...how do i find out if its been remapped?

yea as far as i gather the key keeps the stock tune that would of been on there

probably best get your car down to the dyno day in the AKL meetings section and find out. spaces are running out fast.

its a 523i haha im not sure if dyno worthy to be honest and yea naother close to hundred bux which i could spend towards other car neccessities nice idea though

ive got some diagnostic equipment would i be able to find out that way? perhaps a date on the software loaded to the ecu? anyone got any input as to how i can check for a remap? thanks and thanks for your input thus far

If you can't make the dyno day, then contact the original chip reseller and quote the purchase order details. Most of those chip suppliers will send you a reflash. Then you can backup your current map and reflash the superchip map. Should be pretty obvious if it is different to the car's current setup. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the stock one you've backed up.

tad lost bud...all it says it superchips ltd so get intouch with them?

i understood that the customer key has the original map on it but its not a gaurantee that the ecu has been remapped in the car?i would assume so though haha

how would i check though...the diagnostic stuff i have is a little module that plugs into the obd port thats about it good for reading faults etc

No easy way to tell, chip would likely make only a very small performance difference being the small engine in a big car, its not really much of a selling point for the car so the best you can really do is say it probably has a retune.

oh i have no intention of selling it only making it mint would be nice to know i suppose...got new thrust arms and have done all tensioners belts and cooling system got vanos seals on the way so no intention of selling it love it still hahawhen i do though perhaps someday someone will get a worry free car haha thanks for the help

tad lost bud...all it says it superchips ltd so get intouch with them?

i understood that the customer key has the original map on it but its not a gaurantee that the ecu has been remapped in the car?i would assume so though haha

how would i check though...the diagnostic stuff i have is a little module that plugs into the obd port thats about it good for reading faults etc

Superchips is a brand - think they're American but they have outlets all over the world. Yours probably came from the Australian outfit or wherever the car came from if it was imported. You should be able to contact them with the customer key that you have and they can trace it. Usually with company's like this they'll resend you the map for free if it somehow gets overwritten (by dealer, etc). My suggestion was to contact them, obtain the map, back up your current map, flash your ECU with the new one (Superchips can provide the software and cable you need) and, if it feels different you know it was running the stock map before reflashing. If it feels the same then it was running the Superchips map. And if you don't like it, flash it back to the original.