Sign in to follow this  
m325i

1 Series e87

Hi,

I am looking at 2006/2007 116i, 118i and 120i's.

Obviously the 116i is down on power vs the other two; that's not a huge concern as none of these are 'fast'.

However is the N46 engine more reliable or 'better' thank the 116's N45?

I have heard of cam chain slip - is that more an issue with one either motor?

Would love you input on any of these models please.

Many thanks,

Nick

• Like 1

i have a 120d.The torque is addictive,but the running costs arent as good as they seem,still have the get the torque thing and excellent range.The steering and braking is very sharp imho,the interior room is not as good as a FWD car but thats the price you pay for having an vey balanced platform i guess

I bought a 118i for my mother earlier this year, it goes absolutely fine for around town, but I don't think I'd take it on a trip with more than 2 adults, passing would be a chore I suspect. As Paul said, space is down on others (we have a Mazda 3 that would kill it on space and performance), but it drives really nicely, feels like a big car in ride and handling.

Haven't heard about chains slipping (maybe Glenn has?), only oil leaks, supposedly preventable by cleaning a valve somewhere and an oil feed pipe, it's mentioned on the forum here somewhere.

With the Professional stereo, auto xenons and auto, it's a nice place to be around town.

• Like 1

OK Thanks - lack of replies and general info online points to the fact these are reliable appliances yes?

OK Thanks - lack of replies and general info online points to the fact these are reliable appliances yes?

No.... Oil leaks, cooling system leaks, chains and valve stem seals are the most common faults on these N46 motors...the same as the N42

• Like 1

Bought a 118i for my wife last year, with 70000 kms on the clock, MY 2006.

I was a bit disappointed, with what I see BMW making things less indestructible compared to the era of E36, E46, E39 etc.

Radio display has lots of missing pixels.

Coil plug got un-seated causing CEL to flash - requiring removal half of the top of the engine to get to it (DIY)

One tiny O-ring failed causing oil leak - cost $480 to fix as it required removal of water/PS pumps.

Used to have an E36 Compact for 4 years, the only thing needed changing/gone wrong was PS line for WOF

My E39 was perfect for the two years I had it.

In saying that my E36 touring had a blown head-gasket.

My E60 had one failed coil-plug (after being traded in) at 56000 kms.

Anyway, I took the 1 series to Auckland and back, and I didn't think it was fine. More than fine actually.

Coombes Johnston BMW in Hamilton has come cheap E87s. There is a '05/06 116i manual for $9k, 147,000 kms on the clock. I notice this because I'm looking for a manual car for my son to learn to drive, and an E87 would make a fine teaching tool :-)

Thanks team.

Purchased - if you bump I will post it.

Edited by Nick G

Facelift 120i identical to the below:

Had a few teething issues due to me stupidly thinking Hometune would be able to handle a simple oil change. WTF was I thinking (Lazy)

Thoughts:

• Facelift interior is great! Definitely a step up from older models
  • Has good options and I would say try and get them as it does make a difference (daytime angel eyes, electric memory seats, pro radio with no dead pixels, m/sport wheel with buttons, arm rest etc.)
  • 120i goes OK, but its not fast or anything. Sounds pretty throaty though.

Shout out to Hell BM for being awesome !

i495334.jpg

so it was a facelift but not motorsport? any particular reason you went for the 120 over the other models?

im planning ahead for next year, thinking of a 120d or a maybe 130i, depends on how much the price comes down and whether i still want it then but yea

always liked the e87, my ideal would be the 130i msport but not sure how that is on fuel/reliability etc..

120i or 120d would be a much better daily car i suppose especially economically but if that was my concern id probably get a toyota vitz or something...

Bugger the petrol 4 cylinders IMO. Get a 120d or a 123d or a 130i If you can go the 123d they are an astonishing little car.

The 4 cly motorsports are over priced in my opinion.

The only reason i went 120i was that it was the best car in my budget. I would have gone 118i.

If you want to spend the money, go for a 130i. From what I undertstand the motor is far more reliable than the others (including the d's)

(this is my wife's car BTW)

ah okay okay makes sense. yea the 130i looks like a great little car but still a bit expensive at this stage. well see what prices are like early next year.

any reason you picked the e87 over like a golf/polo for example?

I don't know a lot about them but a GTi Golf is arguably a better buy. The interior is cheaper though. But you can get 150?kw and a dsg for the same money.

Why? She wants to be bimmersport

I don't know a lot about them but a GTi Golf is arguably a better buy. The interior is cheaper though. But you can get 150?kw and a dsg for the same money.

A 120 would be pretty close to 150 kw,the 120d is 120

Better?more room and lighterversus rear wheel drive balance.no contest in my book

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Not sure a fwd 150kw dsg is better imo

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well that's just like your opinion, man.

They are 110kw. No turbo boost and noticeably slower.

Dude I bought one. GTi is better is a lot of ways. Personally I'd rather drive a dsg GTi than an auto 120i

The cost of the iffy DSG mechatronic units would be enough to put me off buying a DSG... though that's part of the reason I like manuals - they rarely break, and I know how they work inside :D

Cost has come down, $2500 quoted to fix now, as opposed to $7k. Service is $400 ish now too, as opposed to $800-1000 every 4 years. I'm still not sold on the box, I had one in an R32, was ok, but I hated hill starts in it and it one failed completely, although functioned fine after being turned off and on. I got rid of it shortly after.

Drive mums 118i today, it's a great round town car, great stereo with the factory sub and rides nicely. If I want to go fast or carry stuff, I'll take the Falcon.

The stereo is fantastic! Where is the sub? It sounds like a sub but didn't know there was a real .1 ?

Under the drivers seat from memory. Low, flat thing, can get them at audio stores for like $150, powered. Don't know if they as good as the BM one.

Well that's just like your opinion, man.

They are 110kw. No turbo boost and noticeably slower.

Dude I bought one. GTi is better is a lot of ways. Personally I'd rather drive a dsg GTi than an auto 120i

And that is just your opinion,having admitted you don't know much about them I would rather drive a rwd manual than a fwd auto

Ive heard that the valvetronic motors+sensors arent so reliable?