Sign in to follow this  
qube

E60 M5 Prices dropping fast!

Just putting it out there, but i do not like the sound of the V10 M5s..... give me an e39 M5 any day. Theres a white E60 M5 around town that i see quite often, sounds poo.

I beg to differ ... Have a listen to this ...

James, they guy who brought his E61 M5 touring to the dyno day, said most of his driving his short trip around town and he rarely gets more than 150kms per tank! That's around a buck per kilometre! Awesome value!!

Having had one for a few years, when you drive moderately, I would get 280 to 320km out of a tank. Very spirited driving (like a track day) would reduce it to 150km.

I think the car is one of the best handling cars out there regardless of weight on road or on a track.

The biggest issue with the car is the gearbox failure through the SMG pump fault. If you end up with a Red Cog (of death) on the dash, you can kiss goodbye to your gearbox and be forced to shell out $20k. second issue is that most clutches are only getting 100k before they have to be replaced which is another $5k cost. Replacing Rotors and discs is a $3k excerise. Make sure you have deep pockets if you are thinking about buying a beast. The purchase price is just the beginning ....

Ultimate driving machine. But close.

An M3 would be my pick on a kiwi back road, with a brake upgrade.

Opps - my bad - close, but no cigar - its even written on my little blue beast as 'Ultimate driving Machine' - I blame too many bourbons before posting............ :rolleyes:;):D

(Bonus being it was all still spelt correctly though!!)

Agree - the black M5 sounds super sweet. :wub::) The other one - fairly hard to tell when its not under load, is probably still a cold exhaust, & all you've got is some knob-jockey free revving it like that, & hitting the limiter at times.......(another pet hate of mine).

Edited by Blue-540i

(Bonus being it was all still spelt correctly though!!)

You did get 'experience' wrong. Give you half a point though regardless. Blame it on the bourbon.
  • Like 1

Make sure you have deep pockets if you are thinking about buying a beast. The purchase price is just the beginning ....

Yep, definitely comes back to the old adage that just because you can afford the purchase doesn't mean you can afford the maintenance.

I respect these as a car but they don't really interest me at all, I'd rather spend what they cost on building up a nice E30, E36 or E34 etc

I respect these as a car but they don't really interest me at all, I'd rather spend what they cost on building up a nice E30, E36 or E34 etc

dead right

I beg to differ ... Have a listen to this ...

That thing would sh*t in your fridge, steal all your booze then bang your wife. Its truly that badassed.

That sound is only rivalled by an F14 on full afterburners.

• Like 1

The values are certainly dropping!!

Having owned a E60 M5, F10 535d and now a F10 M5 I can offer an insight.

The E60. Great car and a cool sound. In the end the SMG wears you down though around town. I also have a E46 M3 CSL and the CSL box is a lot worse, but on track it's great. Fuel wise I saw 17l per 100km on average.

The F10 535d was very good but boring. I liked it at first, but when the F10 M5 came out and I drove it I knew the 535d ownership would be short.

The F10 M5 is truly fantastic. To put it in perspective in the last 4 weeks I have probably driven 3-4,000 Km in it between Akl, Napier and Wellington. It is a great open road cruiser and a seriously fast car when required.

The F10 M5 is the best 4 door "sports" sedan out there I think. Fuel wise I see about 12l per 100km on average.

I do actually miss the E60 though. It was fun and the noise of the V10 at high revs was pure goodness.

At 40-50k the E60 make a lot of sense. The SMG will be OK if serviced well etc. remember these are built for huge mileage in Europe where 100km/60miles is nothing.

Now - I must head out and give the F10 M5 a spanking.

• Like 4

I wouldn't mind one of these at some point.. Definitely not a car you buy for fuel economy.

I've seen a white one around Wellington... Pretty sure it's not an actual m5 though.. Can anyone confirm that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Edited by amdaman

dead right

not for me,i dont have the space,time or inclination to do any work on a car save a clean or maybe an oil change .If i didnt have a long commute or worked in town where bus etc was good i would have such a car in my garage.

• Like 1

The values are certainly dropping!!

Having owned a E60 M5, F10 535d and now a F10 M5 I can offer an insight.

The E60. Great car and a cool sound. In the end the SMG wears you down though around town. I also have a E46 M3 CSL and the CSL box is a lot worse, but on track it's great. Fuel wise I saw 17l per 100km on average.

The F10 535d was very good but boring. I liked it at first, but when the F10 M5 came out and I drove it I knew the 535d ownership would be short.

The F10 M5 is truly fantastic. To put it in perspective in the last 4 weeks I have probably driven 3-4,000 Km in it between Akl, Napier and Wellington. It is a great open road cruiser and a seriously fast car when required.

The F10 M5 is the best 4 door "sports" sedan out there I think. Fuel wise I see about 12l per 100km on average.

I do actually miss the E60 though. It was fun and the noise of the V10 at high revs was pure goodness.

At 40-50k the E60 make a lot of sense. The SMG will be OK if serviced well etc. remember these are built for huge mileage in Europe where 100km/60miles is nothing.

Now - I must head out and give the F10 M5 a spanking.

if only we got the e60 in a six speed like the yanks did....

• Like 1

Thanks for the informative comments and I agree with your logic !!!

How many kms are you getting out of a tank in spirirted driving vs sedate family driving ?

I was nervous about buying the first production models as they are usually problematic. Has the F10 developed many recalls / issues of grave significance like the e60 ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the informative comments and I agree with your logic !!!

How many kms are you getting out of a tank in spirirted driving vs sedate family driving ?

I was nervous about buying the first production models as they are usually problematic. Has the F10 developed many recalls / issues of grave significance like the e60 ?

what was the tank size on the e60?...its good to know what one can get out a tank,but the size of the tank tells the true story.My old 535 was pretty average on gas ,but the good sized tank made road trips ok 70-80l makes for a good range at about 10-11-12 l/100k.welly tauraunga welly auckland on a tank no worries.The 120 is even better 900k on only 45l.so how many litres was your normal fill up on the M5?

not for me,i dont have the space,time or inclination to do any work on a car save a clean or maybe an oil change .If i didnt have a long commute or worked in town where bus etc was good i would have such a car in my garage.

I have a Hiace for that.

but you travel a hell of a lot more than me, a late model car makes more sense.

for me it would just sit in the shed or the driveway depreciating.

actually i dont have enough time to drive one of my BMWs let alone all three of them haha but at least they wont be going down in value anymore

We dont love bm's cause they economical... we love the sound, the looks, the fact that we can give Fix Or Repair Daily grief, while having many hours ourselves under the car with a gearbox on your chest, repairing breaks etc. How are you going to know you car intimately without spending time and money on her (and in this case a lot of fuel) but the far more economical V12 5l is definitely the way to go. after all I only filled the 90l tank twice in two day. (well she's still full, for now)

on the subject of an e60 m5, personally great engineering but I really don't like the looks :-(. dont get me wrong amazing car, just does not get me too excited on the looks department. theirs a m5 99 model for 22k, that's a pretty car.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind one of these at some point.. Definitely not a car you buy for fuel economy. I've seen a white one around Wellington... Pretty sure it's not an actual m5 though.. Can anyone confirm that? Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I ran the Vin a while back as i thought it wasnt a real M5 either (found it hard to believe an M5 would sound that bad), but the Vin confirmed its legit.

Edited by KwS

That's shocking! He's ruined that car. The V10 in an unmolested M5 sounds glorious!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk