Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Smart meter going in.

Hey guys got a ring today from a guy saying he is putting a smart meter in on friday. What can I use this for , can I access it or anything ?? , does it connect to my phone line ??. My power company is Mercury.

I'm sure our power bill went up when ours was put in....

The old whirly-gig one probably had dry bearings and ran slow.

Haven't 'used it' for anything cool.

Would need some fancy smart fridge or the like to gat much out it.

Pretty sure their only use is get rid of meter readers. Gotta hold onto them mega profits...

So im not just dreaming. my bills seemed to be about 20% higher after it

It's because it's an accurate reading now.They have a cell phone receiver in them so they dial out once a month with your usage details so no more estimates. We have the contract at work to change them over.

Dependng on what one you get some tell you real time usage by apart from that no different to an old meter.

It's because it's an accurate reading now.They have a cell phone receiver in them so they dial out once a month with your usage details so no more estimates. We have the contract at work to change them over.

Dependng on what one you get some tell you real time usage by apart from that no different to an old meter.

my one at last house was a smart one after the chap changed it, but meridian still overcharged from time to time so i used to provide a reading for them most of the time. strange. CBF now im in a new place temporarily, other end of the building climbing over god knows what, pretty sure its a so called smart one, checked it when i moved in will check again before i leave

Haven't 'used it' for anything cool.

Would need some fancy smart fridge or the like to gat much out it.

smart fridges etc connect to these and run mostly when power is cheap.

one big issue the commerce commission has is the meters being installed in nz have this capability blocked, unlike the rest of the world.

so no help there.

Make sure you unplug your computer or other sensitive electronics when they switch the meter over.

It could be a co-incidence, but when they switch over mine when I was not at home, couple of my AC adapters fried.

Yes ^^^^!!! Very important to unplug Anything like that! We do the change over live so be abit of a serge as the cable is poked into the terminal. Washing mechines can also be affected so best to turn as much as you can off so I don't go blind or weld the cable to the terminal from a big arch from too much load :D

It just so happens that there are going to be 2 sparky's there doing a whole host of things (Having my house rebuilt) so power will be off (well main breakers) for the day anyway. If anything when the installer arrives they will all stop and have a catch up and have a cuppa , isn't that what they do :lol:

Edited by M-Spec

That doesn't sound like us! We're all hard Working in the trades :D

Two reasons as stated by others:

1. No more meter readers

2. Accurate readings always instead of estimates when readers can access your meter.

Re accuracy. The meter is allowed to read up to 5% under, and the older the old style meter, the slower it goes. The new meters are electronic and generally will only read to 0.5% under - forever. So your power bill could actually have gone up by 5%, solely because you are now not being undercharged.

Communication in urban areas is no longer by mobile phone - most companies are using a radio net or similar to collect the data.