Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

Asked for new tyres, they ripped the bumper off!

Pretty pissed off with a company I took my car to for new tyres. They did a good job on the tyres (not that I can tell) but parked the lowered car up on top of a concrete parking space stopper thing... that had bolts sticking up out of it. I straight away pointed it out to them and with the manager watching tried carefully to reverse off it and of course ended up ripping my front bumper off.

And the nerve of the guy, he then tried to say it had been ripped off before because there were scrapes on the bottom and the paint stress cracks had always been there.

I got really upset with him and told him he was full of it and it ended with me being late for work and him having to talk to his boss.

Later he called me and told me he was sorry and they took responsibility and to get some quotes for repair.

Here's my dilemma. The first place gave it a 1 minute look and quoted a basic repair of $6-700, the second place spent 10-15 minutes looking at the wheel guard liners (I think?) which were broken also and quoted $1350 for a proper repair and the last place took a good look and ended up saying it'll never be the same and I would be better of getting it replaced.

So my questions are these:

What do I make of the widely varying quotes? Any suggestions on the north shore of reputable places to go to?

Or if I do need to replace... where do I get quotes for parts? I doubt anywhere would stock new e39 bumpers... and I'll still need to get it painted right?

The worst thing is, I feel like no matter what I do I'll still have a fight on my hands to get the tyre company to pay up.

rant over.

Shield brothers browns bay :)

If they need replacing they will get parts in and painted.

Edited by Luke Prusher

Without any specifics i would guess that the level of inspection also reflects the level of repair you'll get. I would just be claiming on my insurance & letting them sort it out.

Precision Autowerks in Glenfield would be one of the best ones around - and i wouldnt be accepting that anyone except your preferred repairer does it no matter what the tyre shop says.

• Like 1

That's no good! Name and shame!

I dont think its necessary on this ocassion. as i read it, its a staff member not an owner, it could happen to anyone.

I dont think its necessary on this ocassion. as i read it, its a staff member not an owner, it could happen to anyone.

Subjective. I'd rather not take cars to a place that has been known to be careless, whether it's an employee or the owner.

Precision Autowerks in Glenfield would be one of the best ones around - and i wouldnt be accepting that anyone except your preferred repairer does it no matter what the tyre shop says.

Can vouch for Precision - at my work's carpark another tenant's employee hit my rear bumper - they did a great job

Subjective. I'd rather not take cars to a place that has been known to be careless, whether it's an employee or the owner.

Can i take a gamble at tony's tires? Have had enough bad experiences there in regards to their thoughtlessness and not keeping their promises (We'll beat any compet price by $10 a tire - good joke)

Wasn't Tony's. I've heard enough stories about them to not ever go there. Would prefer to hold off on shaming for now. If they start putting up a fight then I might change my mind.

Personally I'd get something in writing like in an email or something where they have said they are at fault and will pay for reparation otherwise it could be likely that they will then deny was them. I've seen it happen to people I know, one they took them a quote and saw how much it was going to cost they just said no. Then went on to say they didn't even do it and that they never said they will pay for it to be repaired.

Not to say these people will do this, but it's smart to cover your bases so your not left to foot the bill.

• Like 1

Personally I'd get something in writing like in an email or something where they have said they are at fault and will pay for reparation otherwise it could be likely that they will then deny was them. I've seen it happen to people I know, one they took them a quote and saw how much it was going to cost they just said no. Then went on to say they didn't even do it and that they never said they will pay for it to be repaired.

Not to say these people will do this, but it's smart to cover your bases so your not left to foot the bill.

Ditto - my thoughts too........ ;)

Get a used but undamaged bumper from Brent or Ray - they may even have a motorsport one - and repaint. Should still cost well under a grand.

Ditto - my thoughts too........ ;)

x14

You need to get a paper trail of correspondence that shows that they admit fault, from there you give them the quotes with the only other option being you will contact your insurance company.

f**k I hate the service we get for our hard earns at nine out of ten shops in New Zealand, its shocking. Feel sorry for ya mate.

Also, take it to Brian's Auto Center in Manukau if you want a good job at a fair price, its a shameless plug for my sponsor but they do a good job and only use PPG waterborne paints.

youd be suprised what you can buy new for these vehicles these days, so many places supply aftermarket bumpers etc for them, factory or msport.....i work for a dismantlers yard, insurance is hard because panel beaters barely want to repair these days, theyd raqther just fit parts, but insurance will be the best as they will replace everything to return to how it was originally

You're right there Graham, re bout how common pi$$-poor service is getting. Irks me bigtime too - same with plebs in diarys etc that carry on having a phone conversation in their national language with a mate, while they are holding their hand out for your money, & I've struck that a few times.......... :(

Bonus being though is that it makes the 'good guys with good service' really stand out for referrals & future work too.........

Lol a few dairys in palmy are like that, my local one is particularly bad so much so I now go in on the phone make him wait for me lol.

Can i take a gamble at tony's tires? Have had enough bad experiences there in regards to their thoughtlessness and not keeping their promises (We'll beat any compet price by $10 a tire - good joke)

Totally agree with that!

Would never take my car there after the service they provided to a friend of mine.

Wouldn't beat a price since it didn't 'match the quality' of their tyres, a long with providing slow, slack and unprofessional service.

Absolute joke!