Sign in to follow this  
arcon

E46 rapid blinker

i have a 2001 320i, the first time the right indicator is used after ignition, it blinks really fast for a few seconds, then goes back to normal.

yep... its not exactly a major but its weird and if it was going to be a relatively cheap fix i'll get it done... anyone know what this could be...? all bulbs are working AFAIK...

Could be a water leak. Mine used to do this because the seals on the side indicators had perished. Would do it in the mornings after rain or condensation/dew.

Dying relay

thanks for the info. where would be the best place to take it - BMW or auto-electrician...? i'm on the Shore.

i have no idea what a relay is lol... roughly what would i expect to pay for it...?

Have you checked all bulbs are working properly?

Will be something simple, just try replacing all the bulbs first, should be less than $10, its a process of elimination and that is a good place to start, make sure the fittings are clean also.

It's likely to be the earth connection in the rear tail light plug... a very common problem

It's likely to be the earth connection in the rear tail light plug... a very common problem

+1 , Mine was the left hand side. Fixed it up and it resolved the issue.

Edited by M-Spec

thanks for the info. where would be the best place to take it - BMW or auto-electrician...? i'm on the Shore.

i have no idea what a relay is lol... roughly what would i expect to pay for it...?

If you can, take it to Glenn ^^^ at Botany Motor Worxx.

Nice guy, knows his sh*t & won''t try and rip you off. If you're inclined to do so, follow Graham & Glenns advice. If not, take it to a workshop

i took it to an auto electric who cleaned some connections & replaced all bulbs. its mostly fixed now (right indicator doesn't blink fast after every ignition), its rare but both left & right will still occasionaly blink fast, only in really hot weather... lol. its not a big deal but just curious as to what this could mean...?

i took it to an auto electric who cleaned some connections & replaced all bulbs. its mostly fixed now (right indicator doesn't blink fast after every ignition), its rare but both left & right will still occasionaly blink fast, only in really hot weather... lol. its not a big deal but just curious as to what this could mean...?

As I said before.... tail light earths

As I said before.... tail light earths

sorry for late reply have been away for a while - specifically what does the repair involve..? i had Ace auto electrical look at it, i'm sure i mentioned the earths... they replaced all bulbs and cleaned some connections but i still have the problem. i feel the only way to fix this is to tell someone specifically what they need to replace (which wires, sockets etc) otherwise it seems ppl who have no experience with beamers don't know what to do with it.

Mine does this also... Will be checking the rear earths. Cheers Glenn

its pretty black and white what needs to be done from where i am sitting

sounds like you need to take it to Glenn