Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

The Name-the-E30-bodykit Game

Hi all,

Stumbled on this listing again and noticed this time around the bodykit on this pfl E30. The rear bumper for my cab is a little worse for wear, and a set of Tech 1 M-sport valences is definitely on the "want" list (albeit a bit far down!).

3 amateur-hour questions for fellow knowledgeable forum members:

1. What kind of bodykit is this?
  2. Is it compatible with the cabriolet structure?
  3. What would be a reasonable offer for a kit such as this? About to offer silly money if it somehow turns out to be a Tech 1 kit

It seems the rear bumper looks a little similar to a Tech 1 M-sport kit with the upwards slope... A bit of digging shows generally sideskirts don't fit easily onto the cabriolet models, but without knowing the kit in question it's hard to do any specific searching.

Thanks in advance for your help, no other pictures in the listing aside from this one here:

289393005.jpg

A relic Trademe auction in 2012 photo that our friend Carjam managed to remember:

2u44sv7.jpg

Link for those who want to sweep in and buy it :thumb: :

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/320i/auction-653900092.htm

Edited by tidyverty

That's a Zender kit. Not sure about the side panels in terms of looks or fitment on a cab, but would certainly be a rare kit to find for an E30.

I think it's a Zender kit. The cabs have deeper sills, so I doubt a standard Mtech 1 kit would fit. PM me your email if you want and I'll email you photos of mine for reference.

Will do a bit of investigating to see how the sideskirts sit against the cabriolet.

Rough ballpark for what something like this should cost? $500-$1000, $1000-$1500?

I'd be expecting something around $1000, but that is just pie in the sky with no concrete reference points.

Cabriolet

Due to the deeper sills of the Cabriolet model, the front wings are incompatible with the other E30 body styles. Cabriolet wings have a longer section at the bottom to match the sill, so a standard wing will be too short. However, it is possible to weld the extra section on to standard front wings if needed.

Fortunately, pre- and facelift cabriolet wings are the same so if you're trying to source a replacement, they'll be a little easier to find

I don't think you'll find the owner will just want to rip the body kit off the car he's selling.

Cabriolet

Due to the deeper sills of the Cabriolet model, the front wings are incompatible with the other E30 body styles. Cabriolet wings have a longer section at the bottom to match the sill, so a standard wing will be too short. However, it is possible to weld the extra section on to standard front wings if needed.

Fortunately, pre- and facelift cabriolet wings are the same so if you're trying to source a replacement, they'll be a little easier to find

Hmmm I will check with my friend on that, he's got himself a Tech 2 kit on his cab. The sills are bigger to cover up the larger chassis rails on the cabriolet? You can see it in my signature picture the sides are a bit lower than the standard lip.

As far as ripping bits off on a car for sale, it was more of a try my luck game. Offer them enough money and replacement parts and it could work out better for both parties. Certainly valid though.

I don't think you'll find the owner will just want to rip the body kit off the car he's selling.

+1

You'd have more success buying the car for the kit and on selling once you've swapped out what you want

I have a Tech 1 on my cab, I'm pretty sure I'm right. Good luck.

+1

You'd have more success buying the car for the kit and on selling once you've swapped out what you want

yep, have done this a few times now.

Last time i was in at JKSE (username the same) maybe 6 months ago he had a fiberglass version of the sides, maybe the bumpers too?? wouldnt be so bad because you could modify it to suit and not worry about wrecking a genuine one.

Whether its still there i dont know..?

front and rear kits will be no problem, same as sedan and coupe.

i went to have a look at this lil guy a few weeks ago. it's in pretty shoddy condition and the brakes barely work. it's only real value is for an almost-rust-free coupe body. the guy selling it doesn't actually own it (and can't drive), he almost took my offer of $1.5k on the spot. the 'recaro' seats are completely poked.. i leaned back in one and it basically fell to bits. the side skirts are pretty munched up too.

that said, it did start... third time or something, and apart from the brakes, drove fine one it had warmed up.

my brothers old car! haas a sweet sounding exhaust aswell...as far as the kit goes it isnt a zender its a kamai really rare should fit though as yours is prefacelift and so is my bros old car

Thanks John for the heads up! Have sent him a pretty generous offer for the front (not too keen on the kamei sides and rear). We shall see!

PS How are those shocks coming along ;)