Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

Ring-Taxi 'opps'.........

is it weird to think I wish I was in it?

true.

but I ment in that accident.

doesn't look that bad. I bet it was 1 hell of a ride!

true.

but I ment in that accident.

doesn't look that bad. I bet it was 1 hell of a ride!

Have you ever considered co-driving a rally car, you may be a perfect candidate.

Have you ever considered co-driving a rally car, you may be a perfect candidate.

Ah hahahaha....

yes yes I have. I'd love to give it a go oneday.

New career as a crash test dummy?

lol...

could be the result of never being injured in an accident despite be involved in several including two roll-overs & a short motorsport career.

(no i wasn't driving any any of the roll-overs).

I'm sure I would feel differently after climbing out of a massive one. (touch wood).

;) Heres a wee story for ya then Darren.............

At 16 yrs old, sole back seat passenger in a major car accident in Southland on a Friday night - at open road speeds our car hit / got hit by another vehicle in RHR door. The impact broke our car in half, looked like it had been cut with a knife behind front seats & at A pillars, there was 30m between the 2 halves & I was ejected out during the impact. Some of the things that have stuck in my mind.......

* Waking up on the road, with a stranger leaning over me, & telling him 'Don't let traffic run me over' as first words. Then just laying there, fading in & out, & hearing the sounds of sirens approaching in the distance, thinking it was the best sound in the world..........

* Being extremely lucky with the surgeon I was 'given' - young guy, probably not long outa med school at the time called Murray Fosbender. I had multiple surgeries from him over the next 12 months, & he 'rebuilt me', rather than an amputation that would have probably happened if I had got some of the older surgeons that were in orthopaedics at the time - I'll always be eternally grateful to him. :) (I tracked him down a few Xmas's ago, & told him this).

* Being told after one of the surgeries, I'd never ride motorbikes again - I'd already been riding since 8 yrs old & loved them. I'm still proving that statement 'wrong', but the day will come where the pain of doing so over-rides the desire I suppose.....I changed the style of bike I ride in my 30's, thus I've only had Ducati's since then.

* I've always remembered how good morphine is, when you really need it, & the pain when you're waiting the last hour before the next jab........

I've done all sorts of stuff since then with vehicles, including competition stuff - never any accidents (touch wood)!!! I suck bigtime as a passenger, & I tend to have low tolerance for drink driving, poor driving skills & in general, 'muppets' on our roads......... :)

Was a very defining experience from which I learnt lots, some of which never really sunk in properly until years later. ;)

Edited by Blue-540i
  • Like 1

Christ.

Hence why I originally got into motorsport & away from fast cars without harnesses, cages & helmets.

it's only luck mind you I didn't end up in a similar shunt.

Mate lost control at prob 120+ slid hit a curb. I was rear passenger, I remember the lampost coming at me very fast, then the car rotated and we slid past it.

Hitting the curb blew out both tyres on my side and the rims dug into the grass and changed the rotational direction of the car.

Just before he lost control I yelled, "too fast for this corner mate, brake, brake"..... hence i think I'm a pretty bad passenger also. Or is that good?

Still, that M5 crash would have been a wild ride before the shunt. By the looks of the car the passengers would have dusted themselves off and had a good story for the pub that night.

ps- I'm glad you tracked down your surgeon.

they have had a couple of crashes in the ring taxi, one even rolled.

i believe they were all previously due to mechanical breakages.

they maintain the cars at very tight intervals now as only being used on the track was tearing them apart within 15000kms.

they have had a couple of crashes in the ring taxi, one even rolled.

i believe they were all previously due to mechanical breakages.

they maintain the cars at very tight intervals now as only being used on the track was tearing them apart within 15000kms.

not surprised,they drive em hard,i get the impression that sabine is not easy on the cars,if you know what i mean.

they did stuff like snapping subframes and ripped shocks out of the car and even snapped some suspension arms.

they did stuff like snapping subframes and ripped shocks out of the car and even snapped some suspension arms.

I'd imagine it gives them some pretty good feedback on the longevity of the parts. A rolling testing program that covers it's costs.

I've heard Sabine....................................is the new Stig........... ;):):wub::wub::wub::wub:

Theres a video around somewhere of her losing a race car at over 200kph, when a rear tyre blew - she did a great job while having a wild ride............. :)

"could have been traveling in excess of 113mph"

<gasp>

When I moved here I was astonished at reports of police chases with vehicles travelling in excess of 120km/h. Let's see... That's less than 75mph. Anything less than 85mph on a clear motorway, and the UK police are unlikely to look up from their newspapers.

At the moment I like the low speed limits as they fortuitously coincide with an excellent speed for economy. I can see it getting very boring, very quickly though!

As for the 'ring taxi, well, it had to happen sooner or later. How many taxis have crashed? I have no idea. This can't be the first time! I wonder if they paid the bill for any damage?

"could have been traveling in excess of 113mph"

When I moved here I was astonished at reports of police chases with vehicles travelling in excess of 120km/h. Let's see... That's less than 75mph. Anything less than 85mph on a clear motorway, and the UK police are unlikely to look up from their newspapers.

At the moment I like the low speed limits as they fortuitously coincide with an excellent speed for economy. I can see it getting very boring, very quickly though!

As for the 'ring taxi, well, it had to happen sooner or later. How many taxis have crashed? I have no idea. This can't be the first time! I wonder if they paid the bill for any damage?

I struggled after 3 years driving uk motorways averaging 100mph, come back here to country lane speeds.

Limit on highways should be 120

Limit on highways should be 120

Big call, given some muppets still manage to flip their cars on a straight motorway when the limit is 100.

Don't forget also there are additional factors. Besides the obvious ones (like safety), the limit of 120 basically means 130kph is the start of the 'enforceable' zone. This means less cars/drivers likely to get there = less tickets = less revenue = less chance of it passing in court.

Big call, given some muppets still manage to flip their cars on a straight motorway when the limit is 100.

Don't forget also there are additional factors. Besides the obvious ones (like safety), the limit of 120 basically means 130kph is the start of the 'enforceable' zone. This means less cars/drivers likely to get there = less tickets = less revenue = less chance of it passing in court.

But look differently, the people who flip cars at and kill themselves ignored speed limit to start with, so why punish everyone for the idiots who already ignore it.

I saw less accidents in 3yrs of fast motorways than i see in a week on ours.

Laws such as keep left and no passing on left solve these issues, some driver courtesy and some common sense.

Remember average speed 100mph is 160 and cops will ignore if you drive safe.

But look differently, the people who flip cars at and kill themselves ignored speed limit to start with, so why punish everyone for the idiots who already ignore it.

I saw less accidents in 3yrs of fast motorways than i see in a week on ours.

Laws such as keep left and no passing on left solve these issues, some driver courtesy and some common sense.

Remember average speed 100mph is 160 and cops will ignore if you drive safe.

True, and I'm not surprised - the average quality of driver seems to be dropping here. Courtesy and common sense for the most part are non-existent. It's a tough mindset to change, but it needs to change nonetheless.

• Like 2

Courtesy and common sense for the most part are non-existent.

^ This! I was always a very tolerant driver in the UK. 13 years in New Zealand and I now loathe most other motorists. Courtesy is so rare here.

• Like 1

f**k you in your flash BMW, I am not letting you in, how dare you try and merge in that merge lane when I was here first, i will shift into the middle lane after you merge at the same time blocking someone else trying to do 100..

Same old rant.

I get *555'd on a weekly basis from drivers who I scare when simply tryng to drive 100kph. Thuglife.

• Like 1

f**k you in your flash BMW, I am not letting you in, how dare you try and merge in that merge lane when I was here first, i will shift into the middle lane after you merge at the same time blocking someone else trying to do 100..

this happened to me last wknd. Overtaking lane. Stupid Peugeot on the left, im crusing up about 100m before the merge he decides to pull into the right lane and cut me off forcing me onto the wrong side of the road.

muppet.

I just indicate and come across these days .. They eventually move :) The art is giving them plenty of warning and not looking at them. Never been tooted at as most people get that the situation leaves no other choice.

• Like 1