Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

E39 Maintenance Hit-List

So I have no actual receipts of previous work done to my E39, aparently all maintenance was up to date though and everything seems fine but better safe than sorry so I'll drop a full maintenance bomb on the car as I don't intend on parting with it anytime soon: this is what Im thinking I should be doing + some "possibles"...cars nearly at 200k:

All filters

All fluids (minus trans maybe?)

Sparks plugs

Rad hoses, water pump, temp sensors, thermostat+housing and all associated gaskets.

Fan clutch/switch (will the rolled up paper trick work on the clutch, seems ok and at US$100 ea I don't want to replace it if it's not needed...)

I need a new power steering reservoir o-ring

Sway bar bushes/drop links need doing too

Vanos seals maybe? Pelican doesn't appear to sell seals anymore so where from?

Feel free to add or suggest anything I may have missed.

Chur

Check for oil down the spark plug holes, it might be time for new cam cover gaskets. I did my trans fluid at about 250k and it REALLY needed it, i assume the box on the 6s is also "sealed for life"?

Yea meant to be "lifetime" fluid...I've heard some people say do it and other say don't, I dunno

Yep have checked rocker gasket - no leaks.

Beisan, or some ebay sellers do Vanos seals. Made a huge difference to out 525i, though I suspect it's more noticable on a manual.

IF you do a fan clutch - make sure to get a quality one - some lock up too much and can explode at high revs...

Check if the oil filter housing gasket isn't leaking (between the housing and the block) It'll either be leaking, or has been changed, probably. (*clean the leaves and crap out of the alternator cooling ducts!)

Check the DISA valve for rattles (I'd take it out and physically check it - they can come apart and lunch an otherwise good M54). They take 2 minutes to get out.

belts and tensioners - they can destroy themsleves too.

power steering fluid - people never seem to change it!

Check the bottom of the radiator - if it's bowing down, get a new one! If the plastic looks brittle of is changing colour... get a new one!

If you leave the trans fluid alone, it may mean an earlier excuse for a manual conversion ;)

A couple of items you might keep an eye out for

cooling system check between the cooling radiator and the A/C condenser core down the bottom found mine to be clogged with leaves and other junk.

Rear suspension drop links and condition of the rubber boots etc

Window switch's had trouble with the right rear one have heard springs in them fail.

Seals around tail lights, has a spongy pad these can leak and course some trouble

Wires going into boot leaves body and enters boot enclosed in rubber sleeve due to opening and closing action of boot over time wires can become broken