Sign in to follow this  
jake1829

Hampton Downs 14/12/2013

Hey Guys

here's some footage from hampton downs

not exactly stellar footage - few issues with the housing on the first vid (had to get some cloth to stop it moving so much)

2nd time on hampton downs and first time shooting with a go-pro - so bear that in mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB37JrSBqm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzigWmLgpcA

• Like 1

Car looked quick. But man you need to get that Go-Pro mounted properly. Was making me feel sick the way it was moving haha.

Edited by driftit

Car looked quick. But man you need to get that Go-Pro mounted properly. Was making me feel sick the way it was moving haha.

ya, next time gonna try a new position and definitely get it mounted better - trying to figure out how to get the exhaust sound - may need to run a external mic via the boot down to the license plate or something, will need to do some testing

What did you have it attached to the car with ? I dont think Ive ever seen the suction mount fail like that?

here is a vid I did with a ex DTM car which was fine mounted on the outside at 240kph on the striaghts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXYUv1x9Yg

car looks quick btw :)

As a constructive feedback on your driving (if I may) ... you are missing a lot of corner apexes and braking points.

I timed a few of your laps and they were in the 1:22 mark.

Your car also seemed to understeer a lot in the flowing corners (2,3,4) which could be why you weren't hitting the corner apex). 2, 3 and 4 need to be driven as one flowing section rather than individual corners.

I did a good lesson with Mike Eady in this which is a standard 323i on road tyres and I was doing 1:20s in slight damp conditions with him in the car:

bmw-e46-racecar-driver-training.jpg

• Like 1

E30 Series cars are doing 1:22 around Hampton.

A good teacher makes a huge difference. I was lucky enough to have Dan Gaunt teach me a few things.

If you are ever at Hampton and an E30 Series car is there. Jump in behind it and follow their lines. You should be able to match them through the corners for a couple of laps on road rubber. Then use that awesome straight line speed.

What did you have it attached to the car with ? I dont think Ive ever seen the suction mount fail like that?

here is a vid I did with a ex DTM car which was fine mounted on the outside at 240kph on the striaghts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKXYUv1x9Yg

car looks quick btw :)

Was the suction mount - but i think i had loosened the other bolts on the mount when i was playing around with the setup and hence the moving around effect - will be alot tighter next time

Car looks very quick, Suresh. Looking forward to more footage!

thanks :D - will have my new go pro 3+ cam setup for the 11th Jan 2014 @ hampton downs - hopefully get alot more better footage

As a constructive feedback on your driving (if I may) ... you are missing a lot of corner apexes and braking points.

I timed a few of your laps and they were in the 1:22 mark.

Your car also seemed to understeer a lot in the flowing corners (2,3,4) which could be why you weren't hitting the corner apex). 2, 3 and 4 need to be driven as one flowing section rather than individual corners.

I did a good lesson with Mike Eady in this which is a standard 323i on road tyres and I was doing 1:20s in slight damp conditions with him in the car:

bmw-e46-racecar-driver-training.jpg

Please do!

thanks for the feedback - will try to work on those points next time

2nd time on hampton downs, first car since my boy racer days that was fast & turbo'd - over 10years ago when i had my evo 6

I feel like i am still learning a lot more about my car's handling/what it can do and i really haven't yet pushed to the limits -

• Worried about crashing my ride - its my daily driver
  • How would my car run with e40 tune - could the car sustain that tune all day and not go into limp mode
  • How was my oil temp for the sessions (after the first time at hampton downs, realised i would need to get a aftermarket oil cooler)
  • DSC completely off ( last time was driving with DTC on)
  • How far i can push my stock brakes
  • Doing track days on 20inch mags & tyres are not ideal at all and i sometimes worry how far i can push them (the sidewall is always on the back of my mind)

Would love to get some lessons or pointers while driving @ hampton downs

I am in the middle of sorting out a new BBK and 17 wheel and tyre setup to be ordered - still doing some research

E30 Series cars are doing 1:22 around Hampton.

A good teacher makes a huge difference. I was lucky enough to have Dan Gaunt teach me a few things.

If you are ever at Hampton and an E30 Series car is there. Jump in behind it and follow their lines. You should be able to match them through the corners for a couple of laps on road rubber. Then use that awesome straight line speed.

ya next time i'm gonna que up in the middle group, should be a better selection of drivers to follow and see their lines (the two times at hampton i have been in driving training group and then slow cars as a mate of mine came down as well- the groups i have been in)

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

Jealous of your set up. I really want to put some money aside to purchase one but need to focus on my car build.

Hoping to borrow a camera this week for the racing at Taupo this weekend. Is a Sony action cam.

Car sounds good btw.

Jealous of your set up. I really want to put some money aside to purchase one but need to focus on my car build.

Hoping to borrow a camera this week for the racing at Taupo this weekend. Is a Sony action cam.

Car sounds good btw.

thanks, been a big fan of the GoPro's - but they get quite expensive once you add all the options ( eg batterypac, mic adapter etc)

bought it through http://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/, with the savings on the options etc - bought a large case to carry all the stuff in and still was cheaper then buying it directly from the GoPro website

the external mic makes such a difference, with all the sound deadening stuff in the cabin, unless i have my window down - don't usually hear the snap & crackles from the exhaust