Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

M325i Valuation

Does anybody have a clue what a 87 PFL M325i is worth these days.

I have to give the insurance company a figure so I am paying the right amount and don't end up with E30 318i money if it goes missing.

There seems to have been none sold recently that I can find. (That were not crashed wrecks).

Trademe prices for E30's are a poor indication of value. People are asking 7K+ for stock 320i's (in great nick).

My car is a rust free UK 87 M325i

Factory no power steering

No Air con

Tidy interior (bar the fricken dash)

15x7 BBS R003's

Is diamond schwartz (soon to get a full respray as the original pain is stone chipped and had it)

Rebuilt factory motor

All new belts including cam belt, new water pump etc.

New clutch

Around 210,000miles

Rust free sunroof body (not repaired just lucky)

She is well used and is my daily driver. She does need some love though as it is no garage queen. Driven like you would drive it.

2012-10-13162440_zpsc2785be7.jpg

Hmm tricky one really..

I managed to insure my 325i for $5500 through AA, but its only a normal 325i manual.

I'd assume its worth 7k or so.

you can tell them any figure you like, unless it is agreed value (which it more often than not wont be unless its a classic car policy) they wont pay that figure. you could insure moms corolla for $100,000 and pay the premiums, they dont care.

If it is agreed value and they dont want a valuation, send them an email saying this is what you think its worth and ask them if they want you to provide a valuation, if they dont at least you have that in writing.

but all the more desirable E30s save for the M3 of course, eg E30 cab, E30 touring, m325i, all seem to move about $6-8k depending on condition, thats over the last several years, they havent really gone up or down.

My cab is agreed value (with valuation) at $10k

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Probably not the best place to start this, is anyone able to offer some insight on Swann Insurance? 2 of my friends have full comprehensive with them for something like $350 a year. I'm currently with AA and pay around 780.

If it helps though, my cab when I got it, has an agreed value of 6000, and I could opt up to 7000 before I need a valuation

I'd insure for 6-7k if you can.

Howard, you can only insure with swann if it's not your main car, if it isn't then go to swann or get an agreed value with AA and find how much the premium is.

OK, thanks. For what its worth, the agreed value premium for mine between 5k and 6k was something like $60 extra per year. Its quite a small difference, may as well go as high as you can?

Interesting feedback though Andy. I may go back for another insurance revisit once I get the tech1 kit and wheels on (!!). My premiums will be so premium..

Edited by tidyverty

For example my E28 is insured for 8k which is $305 per year. I will insure it for more very soon and all they need from me is photos. So my opinion is go for Swann hands down.

As above, insure it for what it owes you plus a bit. If you can be arsed then take it into a BMW dealer and see if they'll give you a valuation, a lot can't be bothered though as they're more interested in selling new cars than valuing old ones.

I think I'll insure the E30 with Swann when I get it...seems cheap and I'll only be using it as a weekend car anyway. As Matt said they've got cheap premiums and don't require a lot of evidence to support your valuation.

My E30 cab is with Swann as well, three hundred and something a year, all i had to do was provide a valuation (maybe because i already said i would) and some pictures.

But although there is no milage limit, it has to be your second car that is not daily driven.

Hmm I was paying about $500 through AA for what I paid for the car which was about $5800 about 2 or 3 years back.

Swan sounds like a good go. This is my main car but not the main car we use. Our main car is actually my Mrs Dihatsu Rocky which we take to places like the supermarket. For any other trips we take the E30. Wonder if that counts.

I think I will cover myself for around $8K so that I can buy another one if I ever lost this one. Just want to make sure I get what I am paying for if I ever need to claim.

past experience tells me get it value by a independant dealer beit bmw or second hand dealer every year ,as soon as it gets around the 3k mark, just third party fire thieft. Because they will find a way to not pay out . And if they do, its never what you think it worth.

Thread hijack....I'm pretty sure the topics been covered.

I think I'll insure the E30 with Swann when I get it...

Is this the first time you've mentioned the E30 on here since purchasing it? Also when are you getting it?

past experience tells me get it value by a independant dealer beit bmw or second hand dealer every year ,as soon as it gets around the 3k mark, just third party fire thieft. Because they will find a way to not pay out . And if they do, its never what you think it worth.

E30's seem to be going the other way. Worth more and more for good and collectible ones.

Try classic cover they are awesome did the BMW for 7k no question and only cost me $250 a year (even with me being under 25).

As above I'd aim at around 6-7k... yours seems like it is in better condition than mine was before I sold it and I had it insured for 6k, sold it for 5.8k.

E30's seem to be going the other way. Worth more and more for good and collectible ones.

All the more reason to get it valued by a independent dealer x 2or 3 .Insurance companys will look at it as a 25yr old car, average value 1500 to 2500 devalue it by 25% .

It maybe worth more than what you think who knows....because once it gone you have no proof.