Sign in to follow this  
philwalter

Alpha N - engine management

Is anyone on the forum running Alpha N in their road cars ?

Would be interested in hearing anything good/bad/ - setup costs, tuning etc from any members using it.

Is this for your M3?

Lots of info about Alpha-N on s14.net (when the site is up - was having a few issues last time I looked).

It is very widely used with the CF air intakes and lots of people on there certainly rave about it - for road and track cars.

I'm not running it yet with the S14, staying with the factory ECU for now, but it's high on the list of mods to make in the future.

From what I have seen the cost of the system is pretty good in relation to the other piggy-back systems, and there are lots of maps already set up out there which you can start with (or run with) and from what I have heard it is relatively easy to tune (although it really needs Dyno time to do properly - which can add to the cost).

I was going to run it past Gavin @HiVelocity before finally committing, as I would definitely be using him to do the tuning.

Yes, for the M3, and would run it with the CF airbox. Just looking at options/opinions before pulling the trigger. Have been to see Gavin also. Loads of stuff online, just don't think it has a very large following here.

The only other member on here that I know who did it sold his car some years ago after working on building his car for a long time. He only had the thing running for a month.

There are others however theyre running true BMW Motorsport ECUs and not the standard road ECU. John's kit is the best around as it covers all aspects of the conversion.

Is there a 'hierarchy' of preferred aftermarket EMS solutions? I've heard of Alpha-N, but don't know anyone who has used it.

I was looking at Link for another (non-BMW) project.

I run a link with Alpha-N.

Setup and cost is quite minumal, and have had no problems running it.