Sign in to follow this  
jonesrp

Reversing steptronic change sequence

I`ve googled this and it seems to be possible with just a quick wiring change. At the moment I push forward to change up and push back to change down. I think this may have been reversed as standard in later model e39`s.

wrong section to post this

but i believe it has two small touch switchs that the lever pushes. either swap switches or swap wiring to reverse the system

I've done this. Just pulled all the trim off and traced the wires back from the steptronic switches. Then just cut them and swapped them around. worked perfectly and quick easy job.

• Like 1

I don't understand why some manufacturers insist on getting this wrong. it's just infuriating.

I don't understand why some manufacturers insist on getting this wrong. it's just infuriating.

Because not everyone thinks like #racecar. It's probably more natural for "normal" people to think the other way around.

I agree that it`s a matter of choice but this topic appears on other Bmw forums. It just seems to feel unnatural to me in factory setup. So I`ll give it a go, I`m not worried about the + and - , a later owner could change it back if they wanted to.

what are we saying the correct way is?

up/forward to change down, down/back to change up?

Acceleration pulls you hand back so pulling shifts up. Deceleration pushes you forward so down shift go forward. Thats the theory in race cars where they are a very firm shift anyway

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

That`s it in a nutshell Jason. I was reluctant however to describe acceleration as throwing the 528 driver back in the seat. .

The easiest place to swap the two wires on an E39 is at the transmission computer in the engine bay. Doing it at the gearstick is far too fiddly with too much bloodletting. You simply take the lid off the ECU stowage, pull out the trans ecu and remove the bosch connector. Identify the two wires per the wiring diagram, release the connector and swap them. Completely reversible.

Acceleration pulls you hand back so pulling shifts up. Deceleration pushes you forward so down shift go forward. Thats the theory in race cars where they are a very firm shift anyway

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Because V8 supercar!

The easiest place to swap the two wires on an E39 is at the transmission computer in the engine bay. Doing it at the gearstick is far too fiddly with too much bloodletting. You simply take the lid off the ECU stowage, pull out the trans ecu and remove the bosch connector. Identify the two wires per the wiring diagram, release the connector and swap them. Completely reversible.

Same on the e46? I had thought about doing this but now I am used to it the 'wrong' way so it doesn't bother me much anymore.