Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Opinions E39...

K's are nearly always irrelevant, one of tidiest cars ive owned had done 520,000km and needed nothing done to it. Way too many factors to put a lifespan on things like starters and fuel pumps.

The trans cooler runs through the radiator so is trying to cool it down with 110,c water. Really needs a big external cooler

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Nope mine was seperate

The trans cooler runs through the radiator so is trying to cool it down with 110,c water.

No it doesn't on a E39

Trans cooler is seperate but it is a heat exchanger that uses coolant from radiator. Apparently they can block if your trans oil is old and scummy!

Well I did it.

Went out and bought a 540i.

Excellent condition, Inside and out. I checked oil, checked for leaks, checked the basics, even jacked it up and checked the bloody bushes. Test drove the sh*t out of it, has one warped Rotor, sweet no biggy.

Bring it home and it stalls out dead in the bloody drive. I drove it about 100k before it conked out.

Feel like crying, I did the general checks, I even got under the bloody thing for this bullshit to happen, Popped the hood and its severely heated over the right hand side of engine bay, like waaay to hot to touch. No smells etc.

Have attached picture... Anybody? I think its computer related, as I turn it on, Revs up then stalls straight away.

Got no spare cash to spend fixing it up so out of options.

Leave it and see if it starts when cold in the morning would be my first suggestion. Having a scanner helps in these situations

Well I did it.

Went out and bought a 540i.

Excellent condition, Inside and out. I checked oil, checked for leaks, checked the basics, even jacked it up and checked the bloody bushes. Test drove the sh*t out of it, has one warped Rotor, sweet no biggy.

Bring it home and it stalls out dead in the bloody drive. I drove it about 100k before it conked out.

Feel like crying, I did the general checks, I even got under the bloody thing for this bullshit to happen, Popped the hood and its severely heated over the right hand side of engine bay, like waaay to hot to touch. No smells etc.

Have attached picture... Anybody? I think its computer related, as I turn it on, Revs up then stalls straight away.

Got no spare cash to spend fixing it up so out of options.

post-32854-0-42357600-1392633740_thumb.j

Leave it and see if it starts when cold in the morning would be my first suggestion. Having a scanner helps in these situations

Thinking it will work as was cold when tested it, and now that its warmed up it's not interested.

Whats with all the brown crap on the pipes etc, looks like its been off road or something hah.

Could be a number of things, these engines arent exactly basic and you really need to scan it imo.

Whats with all the brown crap on the pipes etc, looks like its been off road or something hah.

Could be a number of things, these engines arent exactly basic and you really need to scan it imo.

Needs a bloody good engine detail..

Okay so once turned off, Oil filter (I hope Im right) was stuffing hot.

Thinking could be Vacuum Leak, MAF.. As its messing big time with the onboard computer (internal light flickering, radio on/off, dash screen not working, back blind temperamental.. And this is all I have noticed so far.

Perfect timing, cheers car!

Thats the oil filter housing withe the black plastic lid, it should get pretty hot if youve been driving for a while, maybe 80 degrees? Sounds like it needs scanning, but it could be something simple like a sad battery. Hope its nothing major!! Good luck!

These engines do get very hot amd stay hot for a long time after switching off as they have alot of metal to hold temp.

Im worried by how middy those braided lines look. If thats dirty the lower mounted alternator must be bad.

If interior stuff is playing up it coulf be a bad battery or alternator but thats a stab really.

Sounds like you did everything right so far. But agree get it scanned

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Righto, list of Symptoms.

Haven't started it up to for the morning - as once I do and if it works need to head to closest shop!

Rough idle, turns on for 3 seconds, jumps around, makes some odd sounds, revs up and down then stalls, even if I rev it/change gear.

OBC, interior lighting doesn't work - temperamental though.

From last night - hot hot left engine bay, especially around Oil filter and thee (I think, correct me) the strut bearing thing (Metal round object in engine associated with suspension) and it was making some pretty awful sounds around that area too...

Need to get it scanned, but thinking it could be:

Camshaft Pos sensor

Crank Pos sensor (I think these two are somehow linked?)

Vacuum Leak

MAF/AFM sensor

Idle Control Valve...

How much is this going to set me back? Might be up on trade me before too long...

These engines do get very hot amd stay hot for a long time after switching off as they have alot of metal to hold temp.Im worried by how middy those braided lines look. If thats dirty the lower mounted alternator must be bad.If interior stuff is playing up it coulf be a bad battery or alternator but thats a stab really. Sounds like you did everything right so far. But agree get it scannedSent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Dude had a minor water leak, (could be possible dirt from that mixed with a bit of grease? Didn't smell bad, and was just like dirt/grease to touch) but hence the cooling system was done, Radiator, Water Pump, Fan AC belts all done 2000ks ago. Receipt for work in excess of $1000, wasn't due to over heating problem, showed me photos of the issue beforehand.

Have not seen an E39 sedan with self levelling

E39 M5 has SLS. Go look in your garage. ;)

amber this sucks.

any chance of taking it back?

amber this sucks.

any chance of taking it back?

I wish, I told them about the problem and they turned around and said good luck, and that they never had any problems with it. Reason for sale was too many cars, which I could see! So reason + good condition inside and out, and handled my test drive of being a maniac, I figured it was okay...

What does my head in is that I turned it on/off popped gas in, took a mate back home, drove it 100ks and it does it as soon as I enter my driveway!

ok well. you have the best resources in NZ right here. Get it scanned and move from there.

hopefully its something small, like you said it ran perfect until then.

what gas did you use?

ok well. you have the best resources in NZ right here. Get it scanned and move from there.

hopefully its something small, like you said it ran perfect until then.

what gas did you use?

a

98.. Only use 98..

Reckon they could of had it on 91? Unsure, didn't think to ask as thought common sense to only put the good stuff in..

Hope it starts fine this morning, still yet to check, don't want to touch it (haha)

it just seems strange it was running fine, all you did was put gas in it.

would it be possible it ran empty and sucked junk from the tank into the fuel filter? does it feel like its struggling to get fuel?

would it be possible it ran empty and sucked junk from the tank into the fuel filter? does it feel like its struggling to get fuel?

It did actually remind me of when my E38s pump went.. That was $700 to fix. Just confused as to why the electrics are affected also.

I popped fuel in about 20ks after the light came on.

Could be battery if the electrics are failing - or some other fault. Did you see any warning lights on the dash before the OBC died? I think you need to get it scanned as soon as possible.

My car operated like this when it went into engine failsafe following a tune and adaption reset. Did you get it scanned/checked out before purchase? If you did and they also reset the adaptions it may just be that... Try unhooking the battery for a while and reconnecting before starting.

. Try unhooking the battery for a while and reconnecting before starting.

+1 this. first step. (more than 30mins)

Car started fine, OBC not working, but have driven it straight to HellBm.. Got the work car for a couple of days so at least have transport..

Sort of a slight grrrr sound coming on and off as i was driving, left hand side up by wheel area.. I noticed that when it made this sound car power steering began to lack and would dip in revs (slightly)

In Rays trusted hands now, will see what he says and go from there.

• Like 1