Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Cert needed?

A mate of mine is looking at an Allroad (I've tried very hard to talk him out of it) and wants a 7 seater ( I've tried talking him out of this too), version. I've pointed out that Volvo (I think) once said you can't make a safe 7 seat station wagon, but he's determined.

He's found an Allroad (old '02 model), but it's a 5 seater.

He's been told he can just get more seats and have them fitted.

I would think that you would need brand new belts and fittings at a minimum, not 2nd hand and would then need a cert for safety, any thoughts or better yet, knowledge?

My understanding is as long as the belts, seats & mounting points are OEM it shouldn't require a cert. I would assume thats based on new items, not secondhand. The LVVTA website should cast more light on the situation, or local WoF inspector. Come to think of it, does Glenn do Wofs? Your mate might get prices through Audi and come up with a new idea, methinks! :)

That's what I think. Along with $6k for air suspension and pump, plus $2.5k for a cam belt, plus brakes and tyres. Big step from a Mazda....

I think you will find that adding seats to a vehicle that didnt come with them will require a cert. If it was a 7 seater and someone took a row out you can put them back in ok, but if the factory didn't fit them from new, you can't just bolt them in and go for wof.

The early allroads were turds wrapped in tin. Would be far better off with a 6 cylinder crosstrak Dunnydoor. Big 6 pot, frequently 7 seater specced & AWD. Not cheap to run but probably more cost effective in reduced repair costs.

would be good to know the answer to this when you find out???? I have just picked up a Nissan Patrol, that too can come as a 7 seater and have just got a third row for it.

A friend at work had a Commodore 4wd wagon (forgotten the name exactly), was horrendous on fuel making my Falcon Turbo look Prius like, well almost.

It then shat the motor, due to pin sized holes in the radiator not being picked up and chucked up a $6-7 k rebuild bill, or $4k for a second hand motor fitted. She no longer has it. Barge pole material. I've told him Territory for what he can afford (get it?), but he thinks it's too big, at 50mm longer....

I can't see getting away with it without new everything.

A mate has a Patrol he's selling, it's a seven seater. Nz new, '99 or 2000.

A friend at work had a Commodore 4wd wagon (forgotten the name exactly),

Adventura. Very cool car, go very well and handle even better (as all 4x4 cars do really). My step mom used to have one as a company vehicle in a former job

If he wants a car and not a bus or road barge (Patrol) then the Allroad is a very good option

Agree, wouldnt want to daily one, but my Patrol is to be a road registered offroader, its a GQ. In getting all sorts of goodies at the moment cant wait!

So what is really wrong with the Allroad, nothing. - Just the usual bullshit myths coming out ( usually based on underserviced nasty imports)..

If he wants a car and not a bus or road barge (Patrol) then the Allroad is a very good option

Forget the Commodores, captivas and territories they are all over dressed shitters that drive like drays despite ford claiming they based the territory on the X5

Simply check if the particular car has the fittings for the optional seats, If yes then he can fit them himself - diesel Allroad is the way to go.

Looked at this exercise with the Volvo XC 90 stopped after I drove one - underpowered, wallowing poorly balanced jelly on wheels.

They arnt myths. Well proven facts.

Also, if its a 2.7T they also have terrible fuel economy, a V8 X5 would be a better choice.

I can only base it on what I hear and see Ron.

I have dealer friends in the 2nd hand euro market, they wouldn't touch an Allroad without proof of replaced air suspension and pump. I personally know 5 people who have had the 98-04 A6, 4 out of 5 have had a trans failure costing between $7-9k, some at lower ks and all serviced. The most neglected didn't have the trans fail.

I've never heard of Ford claiming the Territory was based on the X5, I have heard they used it as a benchmark, which can't be a bad thing and car mags say the X5 is the only better riding handling SUV, whether or not that's true is subjective I would guess.

Personally I'd rather have a late model fleet serviced Territory over a 12+ year old mostly neglected euro. You're comparing your maintenance levels with others and I'm afraid they're poles apart.

I think we have an answer to the topic anyway.

Personally I'd rather have a late model fleet serviced Territory over a 12+ year old mostly neglected euro.

in ALL cases, each car has to be looked at on it's merits, not what country the first owner lived in - The same owners might live here now anyway!

Don't plan on NZ new cars being looked after very well either, and especially so if they were a lease car. Not a single one of my leased cars was ever done "by the book" - just the bare basics were done (and not even the minimum required by the car maker) and work recommended by the dealer wasn't done until it actually failed (they once made the Toyota dealer in Kaitaia leave brake shoes in that had less than 1mm of lining left - They showed me before they put the rear drums back on!). I also personally know two people who had VW Golf TDi's with trans failures under new car warranty (40K and 65K) - is it because they're crap, or because of the lease company servicing? I dunno, but at that milage, I wouldn't expect servicing to matter. Cars are disposible here, so most people just do the minimum they can get away with, and buy another one later :(

As far as seats go, each car is registered as having a certain number of seats. When I had my VW Van certed, the guy was worried, as the Australian compliance pleate said 2 seater, but it was complied in NZ on entry as an 8 seater, so we were OK. IF you fitted an extra row, using all OEM parts and mounts, it's still need to be registered as havinng the aditional seats, though I can't say if that actually required a cert, or some other inspection/change.