Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Hella EVOX-R projectors in to FL E39 headlamps

Nah, but been looking at them for the e30. Bit of a mission by the looks to make fit.

Don't think it would be too hard to fit in the E39 lights, Martin. Will they work with OE ballasts? Otherwise I reckon you'll still get pulled up for retrofitting the HID kit at WOF time. The rule is they must be factory-fitted so even though your light assemblies are identical to the factory-fitted xenons apart from the bulb housing, they'll still fail it if it doesn't look OE!

This has been raised before might need to press the search button or have a look on the LVVT site. Thought the problem was due to people not matching the correct bulb type with the correct reflector hence the incorrect light pattern being displayed and a fail on the WOF. On the facelift type E39 headlights the low beam, high beam reflector units are able to be separated, couple screws hold then together from memory hence the xenon type units being fitted. This I found out when I transferred the units from a busted set from a 540 into my old 530 which only had H7 bulbs as the low beam. Then you need to get the control module, wiring and sensor fitted to allow the lights to move up and down as the car goes over the bumps in the road to stop you blinding the on coming cars. This is not a cheep option imo if you are going to do it correctly or buy a vehicle with them already fitted my 2 cents for what it's worth.

hmm its has more to do with the glare mask which is setup for left hand driving not right hand driving. They arent too hard to modify to work just flip the masks on both. Had to do this with my 330 xenon p46 head lights.

You are right about the fact that if its picked up at warrent time you have a problem. I would only be modifying a second set of lights not your OE ones.

From the nzta site :

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ballast which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust.

The evox-r projectors are for hid so based on the above it'd be legal. The projectors are apparently a direct fit to the replacement halogen projectors. My car had pre fl xenon lights but the po replaced them with fl halogen using a cheap sh1t hid kit. So I have all the wiring and modules already fitted. The hardest thing to get right imo is the aim of the new hid projector relative to the hi beam, this can only be done with lights disassembled. The prohector units are 150usd a decent hid kit is 160usd. Still cheaper than genuine hella xenons....2.2k ea direct from hella nz, or around 900 second hand of ebay.

If that is the case then you should be ok to fit the xenons. But does the vehicle still have the control module and the sensors on the front and rear suspension to tell the headlight adjuster motors to move up or down with suspension travel?.

If that is the case then you should be ok to fit the xenons. But does the vehicle still have the control module and the sensors on the front and rear suspension to tell the headlight adjuster motors to move up or down with suspension travel?.

Yup it does. The current headlamps, although H7 halogen are definitely auto-leveling. So the only piece to the xenon puzzle is the missing Xenon projectors within the headlamps.

If all the rest of the system is connected and works then as you say the only missing bits are the xenon bulbs and reflectors. Take note of the light rating I think BMW used 4500 as standard while other use a higher rating this is important as it will be directly related to the light quality you get. Also check to see if your headlight have an earth connection inside them this earth's out the reflector units in case anything goes wrong as their is some very high voltage flying around when this type of bulb is turned on. Best of luck and let us known the outcome.

The evox-r projectors are for hid so based on the above it'd be legal. The projectors are apparently a direct fit to the replacement halogen projectors. My car had pre fl xenon lights but the po replaced them with fl halogen using a cheap sh1t hid kit. So I have all the wiring and modules already fitted. The hardest thing to get right imo is the aim of the new hid projector relative to the hi beam, this can only be done with lights disassembled. The prohector units are 150usd a decent hid kit is 160usd. Still cheaper than genuine hella xenons....2.2k ea direct from hella nz, or around 900 second hand of ebay.

If the H7 lamps are physically different to the original xenons, they wont have the high UV lenses needed for the HID burners.

Im not sure your interpretation is correct - while these are modules, they arent a complete headlamp unit - hate for you to stump up the readies & then work out they arent legal. I would be trying to get some complete xenon lamps from Ray, Brent or ebay.

Hella Evo-XR are only avalible in LHD, so they're no good for us over here. Unless you wanted to flip the masks, which then makes them an even longer install.

You'd have to work something else out using the ones that are avalible in RHD format. (or get factory HID's)

Edited by antil33t

The way I interpret nzta's wording is that if u install an hid kit (bulbs, ballasts, igniter) in to an hid projector (which the evox-r is) then my modification is legal..

Anyway, antileet is correct. Got an email back from the site linked in my first post that they are lhd only. The alternatives ate not a direct replacement and need mods, which im not to keen on doing with only 1 pair of lights. Ah well, I'll leave it at that.

The way I interpret nzta's wording is that if u install an hid kit (bulbs, ballasts, igniter) in to an hid projector (which the evox-r is) then my modification is legal..

Anyway, antileet is correct. Got an email back from the site linked in my first post that they are lhd only. The alternatives ate not a direct replacement and need mods, which im not to keen on doing with only 1 pair of lights. Ah well, I'll leave it at that.

Your modification isnt legal without LVVT certification technically. NZTA is more or less just a blanket every day law and not the authority on modifications to road vehicles.

Putting HID into housings that where not designed for it is illegal.

NOTE 1:

2.2(22) refers in particular to the fitting of HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs to normal

lamps. HID bulbs are not compatible with regular lamps, as this combination greatly

increases levels of glare to other road users, and therefore HID bulbs must not be retrofitted

to housings not designed for use with HID bulbs.

I understand youre techincally wanting to put the projector assembly into the housing, but the law doesnt cater for it so takes the default of its not allowed.

In reality though you could risk it and may or may not get pulled over and asked about it or face issues at warrent time and be asked produce a Low Volume cert for the modification. At cert time the cert engineer may or may not care about it. Most do to any modification and apply their ruling to it. Also what is written down for public consumption doesnt always describe entirely what the LVVT publish out to its sanctioned engineers, hence the reason why some people get a suprise when they do get a cert.

Best advice, talk to a Low Volume Engineer in the first instance. The internet is only a guide, but not the rule unfortunately.

Your modification isnt legal without LVVT certification technically. NZTA is more or less just a blanket every day law and not the authority on modifications to road vehicles.

Putting HID into housings that where not designed for it is illegal.

I understand youre techincally wanting to put the projector assembly into the housing, but the law doesnt cater for it so takes the default of its not allowed.

In reality though you could risk it and may or may not get pulled over and asked about it or face issues at warrent time and be asked produce a Low Volume cert for the modification. At cert time the cert engineer may or may not care about it. Most do to any modification and apply their ruling to it. Also what is written down for public consumption doesnt always describe entirely what the LVVT publish out to its sanctioned engineers, hence the reason why some people get a suprise when they do get a cert.

Best advice, talk to a Low Volume Engineer in the first instance. The internet is only a guide, but not the rule unfortunately.

The mental anguish this modification would potentialy cause is just not worth it imo. I'll hunt around for a set of genuine xenon units.

Good plan if you ask me. Putting the modules in s one thing, but aligning them properly is a whole other mission without the proper equipment.

I've pulled apart a set of PFL and FL angel head lamps from an E39 and they are identical in every way except the housing for the xenon bulb. All the electronic adjusters are there in the PFL lights, the reflectors are identical the only problem is they didn't come from the factory with xenons and it is therefore illegal to fit them aftermarket.

If you found an OE xenon bulb housing and ballast they would be identical to an OE xenon lamp so would be impossible to identify at warrant time. That said, it'll probably cost about the same to get those parts as a full lamp assembly. Go figure.

In the facelift lights, the Xenon ones have the low beam projector much closer to the lens than the Halogens - I assume the focal lengths etc are different???

The Halogen ones actually look better, but the Xenons allow you to actually see where you're going.

I fitted a pair of brand new Halogen headlamps (Hella, OEM), and they were OK, but the Genuine BMW XENON Retrofit kit (complete lamps with ballasts etc) I then fitted is FAR(!!!!) superior. I can actually see. Both my ancient VW's had better low beams than the E39 Halogens!

Deja-vu have to chuckle at Allan's last post the low beam lights on a e39 are sh*t never a true a word. Even if one tries to improve them they still have inherit problems

• Like 1