Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

insurance - 1983 e21 323i coupe

Hi guys,

Any tips on insurance for an old car like our e21?

We've owned it for over 15 years now, but need to get something more appropriate than we have had to date. Classis Car insurance of some sort I presume. (Yes, it does less than 5,000 Ks per year these days.)

Any tips or good or bad experiences to share about insurance on old cars apreceiated.

Thanks

Paul

I have my 1983 E30 insured with AA I think for $115

My m3 is with classic car and have no complaints. Had a claim 3 months in when I hit a hare and smashed up the front end and they sorted it out no problems. Cheaper than our daylies to insure

So let me get this straight Justin...you live in Dunedin,and you hit a hare driving an m3...where did the hare finish up ...Nelson ???

Hahaha if he went forward quite possibly! but he got sucked under and spread along the side of the car.

Also only costs 450 a year for full cover for it

AMI have a good "Classic" policy, cheap and good coverage, as long as the car isn't in "Everyday Use" - ie weekend and special occasions etc

The Model A is on it for $18K at $180ish per year

My Cappuccino was on for around $10K for about $140 I think.

I haven't had to claim on the classics, but I've had a home burglary claim, and a $3550 WIndscreen claim on a daily with no issues.

Aa for my e28 at $25k for about $200 a year

Thanks guys, generally seems to be pretty cheap, unless you're being screwed by someone (Jusitn).

Haha thanks. It's probably due to my age, 26, as to why it's higher than the rest. Am with ami for house and contents so might try them and swap the missus car to them too for hopefully a good deal

I'm getting screwed then!!

ya aint the only one! mine at 250/yr for just basic 3rd party....

then again... being 21 and a low car makes most insurance companies run right?

nice topic, I have been screwed a few times with insurance. I was thinking to insure mine, full cover. Wouldn't mind going "Classic" policy. for something cheap and good. for a 328i around $8,000, I sometimes use it as DD but often it sits in my driveway, I live in a small town, everything is at hands reach so doesn;t matter I wont be putting too many k's on it. could you guys name the companies you are with? Particularly intrested with Allan & Brents company.

We're with State. Been okay, but we're obviously paying too much now for an old car doing low Ks. Had a small ding in our Jappa recently and no issues at all with State paying for the repairs. The other driver was at fault. And someone backed into the LF guard on the 540 about 3-4 years ago (while it was parked up) and we had no dramas having State pay up for that as well. So we're happy with them, but just need to do something better for the old girl (the e12) now.

We're still waiting on Jeff Gray European to get back to me about the tears they put in the back seat leather in the 540, btw. Getting more grumpy by the day. We're not big customers for them, but I have sold BMWs for them, not they they know this, but I might stop being a disciple for them if they don't get their act together.

Edited by kiwipetrolhead
  • Like 1

Have a look at SWANN insurance, $305 incl Track Day Coverage, no mileage limit, full cover $15k for my E30 race rally car.

• Like 1