Sign in to follow this  
allan

Cruise Control

Hi everyone,

Sorting out a few minor bits and pieces since the engine trans plant.

1.The 316 has all the wiring for cruise control it even turns on the green light on the cluster but will not engage. It is a fly by wire type gas pedal and reading up the retrofit instructions it all matches so it should work but doesn't would the DME from the donor motor need to be told of this or not? current motor M54b25.

2.Washer low fluid level light on after having car scanned by dealer per his findings a new sensor was fitted $55 still have light on. Since then have checked the float and it does also the magnet it can hold a 3mm drill bit from falling out has a good earth also. How does it receive its power and is it only a earth out type circuit.?

3. Since the transplant the central locking has not worked the original set up was radio signal through the key but the donor motor came from a car with infrared. So using the infrared key with the ews to get the car started. But the ignition key is the original with the radio signal type which I would prefer. Is the central locking connected to the ews so I will have to us the infrared type or are they separate and I can still us the radio signal system. Would this involve another scan or is it just a physical difference in the systems?

Hope I can get some ideas and thanks for your assistance.

I wish I could help, but it's a bit over my head!

I know that some modules need to be coded differently, for another module to be able to perform as intended - as a made up example, the ABS/DSC module may need to be coded differently for cruise, or the GM needs to have a feature enabled.

I wonder if the cruise is expecting to see something that isn't there, like the clutch switch as well as the brake switch? I know they have a clutch switch, but I think yours was originally auto wasn't it?

Hi,

Back ground info before engine trans plant with N42 motor which had cruise control and which worked.

Engine transplant M54b25 from 325i didn't have it.

Reading up the PDF file on retrofitting cruise control it said that the set up I have can be used on the N42 N46 and m54 but is different on the M47 diesel type I believe.

So maybe something in the 325i DME needs to be turned on or off but it mentions no coding is required at a bit of a lose for now.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E46/Multifunction%20steering%20wheel%20and%20cruise%20retrofit.pdf

1. the Cruise control is connecting ok to the dme ok if the green light is on. so that is good. you don't need to code the DME to have CC.

if the dme thinks its a manual you will need have the clutch switch connected.

if you have a fault with your MAF the Cruise control won't work either..

3. the gm5 can be coded to work with an EWS that are either are radio or IR. have you completely swapped the EWS also? fully wired in?

Edited by Dogballs

Hi,

Would have to check the clutch switch but I do know the cruise was working before the trans plant. Motor performs well and no known MAF trouble

yes had to use the 325i EWS a series 3 so the code sent by the key would be excepted by the ews and tell the other modules all was good and allow the motor to be started. The car was originally radio signal operated central lock/ remote opening which I would prefer to keep but this stopped working after the trans plant and coding work. Could it be the GM5 module no longer excepts the radio signal as the donor car had a infrared system. Researching through wiring diagrams at the moment to see it could be a simple relocation of a wire to a different pin.

Well not sure what happened but the cruise control now works so one problem down a couple more to fix.

$25k for a 325ti starting to look more attractive! having said that allan, i do admire the talent and time you have put into this car! whats more having see it in person its not a hack and slash swap, its very tidy conversion.

is this the last two problems on the list now? you can start working on my car when you are done :D

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_