Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

Why the paint code name changes ie adding II to the end

Why, and whats the difference between BMW's paint codes, such as Boston Green and Boston Green II?

Has the paint code or ingrediants changed?

On my lost if bmw paint codes ive only found one boston green

A second version is often an update to add metallic of pearl or different clearcoats. Happens alot in car making. Often are hard to tell apart and often totally different.

Though on another note manufacturers often have different versions of the same paint. Basically if they miss tint a massive batch they will just call it version two of that colour. Can have a few versions over the life of a colour.

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Try Leyland 70's colours. "Blaze" and "Dirty Blaze" ? Really!

I think you mean rust and dirty rust

I think you mean rust and dirty rust

No... Blaze... some caught fire BEFORE they left the factory :P

Oriental blue metallic their are 5 shade's of it depends when the car was made what a pain in the rear

Allan wouldn't that be called charcoal black :P:D:lol:

Has the paint code or ingrediants changed?

Yes, and yes. The colour has been re-formulated, so it has been deliberately changed to be a "new" colour by altering the mix of tints in the paint. I guess the original colour names are used as a reference to where the colour originated from and that the new colour is very similar?

This is very different to the variations that you can get across the same colour through the painting process, often referred to as "variants" in the OEM world. Even the most accurate paint mixing machine and tester in the world cannot differentiate colour as well as the human eye can - and unfortunately things can change enough from one batch of paint to the next.

When I was supplying painted assemblies for HiLuxes out of Thailand most colours had three variants "active" at any one time, and at one point there were five variants of the black. What a nightmare to try and mix-and-match!!