Sign in to follow this  
smudger

E36 or E46 M3 convertible ?

I'm trying to decide what would be a better fun weekend car choice - M3 convertible - a good E36 (violet - low $20's) or an E46 ( currently on TradeMe for $30k although i thought it was closer to $25k) , both are low mileage - around 40kms - or open to other good choices. Just wondering what advice, feedback or suggestions people might have. Other than get a hardtop, they're better - you may well be right but this is about a fun car for a Marlborough climate that suits a convertible that the whole family can sometimes go out in. Needs to be under $25k and preferably closer to $20k with good history and pref low Ks !

Edited by smudger

For your budget, I'd say you are more likely to come across a mint e36 vert that meets your needs and have some left over to do a wee bit of work if required.

Good luck with your hunt. There was a nice Estoril Blue vert a while back on Trademe, they don't come up to often.

If you could haggle that E46 to your budget it would be my preference. The e46 m3 is an excellent car!

I certainly prefer the look of the E46 and have been told it's a better car (one mate with an E46 and another with an E30) but there are budget issues and the E36 i know of is in top condition. It was on Trademe a few months ago and didnt sell, maybe due to the colour which i actually quite like - violet. I've had a couple of BM's in the past and the last toy was a Mk2 Jag which i wouldnt mind replacing but the M3 has surprisingly got more support from close to home, and the family wagon is a bit dull to be nice.

Edited by smudger

I certainly prefer the look of the E46 and have been told it's a better car

#prepares popcorn and waits for M3AN# :P

• Like 1

Get the smg conv e46 m3

M3_power, I'll arrange the toppings ;-)

• Like 1

Just looking for some helpful advice, hopefully not flaming and abuse !

Best way is to drive them both. Both have their merits. I've owned e36s for the last 15 years and a e46 m3 for the last 3. I've become a great fan of smg and the e46 rasp.

Both are an excellent drive but the e46 is more refined.

If your better half is going to drive the car then they may not enjoy an smg. My wife just uses auto mod which frankly isn't the best feature of the smg and this is dispite 20 years of using sequential transmissions.

The plan will be to drive them first especially as i've not dricven an SMG version and was favouring a manual. just have a few things to sort first. And my wife is unlikely to be driving it so that's not a huge consideration !

When I was looking for my 328i, I saw a nice e36 convert (328i) with 230Km's for around 5K. I would think a very good e36 vert (non M3) with good interior and low km's could be had for under 10K and would be a lot of fun for the weekends. However If I were you I would get the E36 M3, in good shape and looked after condtion. with a hard top and sun roof, that would be FUN and not to mention you can get the best deals within your budget if you keep looking. E46 is also a nice car I just prefer the E36, and perhaps a nice E30 M body over it.

Had both .. e46 hands down. Its just more well rounded.