Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

M5 price on this e39

Its already been said but in light of what Ray has said, ill say it again. You cant sell a car for what it owes you, itll just never sell. Doesnt matter to the vast majority of people that the engine and box are brand spankers, its still only worth what a manual E39 is worth (and its certainly not the only manual one around), which is a crap load less than what he is asking.

• Like 2

And to further annoy any prospective buyers, try `proof of funds required before test driving`. So I guess you give him a photograph of a cheque you wrote out in the pub the night before....

• Like 2

Trademe Discussions. That's what this part of the forum is for.

People post up trademe auctions they find interesting for everyone to discuss. Price is ALWAYS going to be discussed as the items are for sale. If you can't grasp this. Don't view this part of the forum because there will be opinions you won't agree with.

Edited by driftit
  • Like 2

It may be a really nice car, but unfortunately I do not think he will get far with no photos, and possibly the write up sounds a bit off putting for some people.

But again, it's one of those cars that you buy because you want a manual 540i, not because you want to drive to work.

Clearly the owner of the car isn't a salesman.

Trademe Discussions. That's what this part of the forum is for.

People post up trademe auctions they find interesting for everyone to discuss. Price is ALWAYS going to be discussed as the items are for sale. If you can't grasp this. Don't view this part of the forum because there will be opinions you won't agree with.

Primo, as personally I think Ray / Glenn were being rather harsh really....................... ;)

• Like 2

But people act like this in the forsale section. Need to keep them seperate one is for discussion one isnt

• Like 1

I personally have only met the owner of the 540`s that this topic is about once.

This was purely in a professional capacity when Hellbm worked on his car.

For someone who was prepared to spend thousands restoring his 540`s to a high standard I take my hat off.

How he markets his car is not my affair and if I was genuinely keen on viewing/test driving then its as easy as calling the number provided.

My issue is about trying to see what the point is when it comes to openly putting the sh*t on someone and their style of selling a car.

How does rubbishing an auction, regardless of the price, give the forum a positive standing in the wider BMW community.

I guess for some it`s learned communication where there is a strong urge to follow the leader with sad f..kin posts to build their ego or something..

Small wonder that people with a wealth of knowledge and positive input tend to shy away from this type of negative environment.

Oh and here`s his number - 021568168. Call and tell him what you think of his marketing style, pricing.

Me I`d rather appreciate the workmanship and effort that went into bringing these cars to such a high standard.

• Like 2

You're probably right, Ray, and I'm sure I've been guilty of some uncalled for bad-mouthing! I think a fair bit of this topic would be constructive advice to a potential buyer (i.e. $30K regardless of work done is a lot for an 11 year old car when you can get a low kms one for under $12K) but I think the point is that most of the threads posted in the TM section are not prospective buyers. Just people having a laugh at the seller's expense.

Perhaps we need two sections... One for gossip and bad mouthing auctions and one for buyer advice!?!

There is often good advice and discussion in this forum about cars on TM, but obviously when someone is asking silly money ($30k) for an e39 540i people are going to have a laugh. Its human nature really, and will happen on any forum. The problem here is that there are more and more cars worth a laugh on TM, so the laughs are almost constant.

Maybe one stickied thread for TM Laughs, where they can all be lumped together, and then separate threads for cars actually worthy of a discussion. Thats how most other forums deal with it.

• Like 1

As a side note when an auction says new engine done 4500kms i dont think anyone would presume it was a brand new crate engine.

• Like 1

I have found over the years the people with the "Wealth of Knowledge" are also the ones who can not handle others opinions. They also expect everyone to know who they are and why they have this knowledge. Then will act like kids arguing with the kids over the topic.

These people need to state why, who, where and how they gained their related information. Rather than expect everyone to know.

This area of the forum is not to be taken too seriously. If there is a topic in this section that directly bags a post in the FOR SALE section than the appropriate action will be taken. Arguments in the for sale section will be moderated.

• Like 2

When he said new engine that is what it is. Brand new ex Germany along with all manual components. There is no comparison to the 11k Hamilton car. In a different league entirely.

The only comparison I was drawing to the Hamilton car, was simply that there was another 540i manual motorsport on trade me, and that his clearly wasn't the only one in the country as claimed in the ad.

It might be a fantastic car, but until the details were highlighted by yours truly, no one here was any the wiser. Nor could you expect them to be.

The vendor has spent an amazing amount of money on his car. That is to be respected. But then he decides to sell it, and that`s when `market forces` take over. I was in the car business years ago at a big franchise dealership, and it was always a sad moment when you had to price a trade in. Most people get a big shock. Do your house up instead.

• Like 2

I think my wife would throw me in the loony bin if I spent 50k on a 15-20k car.

• Like 2

Or 3k on a $60 water and oil pit.

Sorry couldnt resist.

This sort of sits in the same basket as when companys like porsche charge 40k extra for a few upgrades as a limited model. You could easily do the same power gain for half that money but its never going to be a gt3rs only a gt3. Different things matter for different people

• Like 1