Sign in to follow this  
sonic_attack

Hi - E34 540i

I'd been a lurker for a long while before joining a while ago. I was always fascinated with E24's and a few times came this " " close to buying one. I decided it was a little impractical having a coupe and the way the window didn't wind all the way down always bothered me. Like probably everyone else I've a habit of hanging my arm out the window.

I'm new to BMW's but no stranger to German auto's. I spent half my life stitching vintage beetles and split kombi's back together. Always fun but that particular brand is out of control price wise now. Kombi's were awesome when they were $300 - $800. Now you're paying $5000 - $8000 for a rusted start the shine is pretty much out of reach for me.

Onward and upward. The appeal of BMW was always around and it seems I've bought in at the right time. After the E24 my fav was the E34, quite a practical car and I managed to keep my eyes open long enough to jump on the one I've been waiting for - Well not exactly, the idea was to pick up a motorsport 535 variant. This 540 popped up on Trademe so I jumped on it. I reckon I could have done a lot worse for 2.5K

I don't know much of the history of the car - Tauranga vehicle for most of it's life it seems before finding it's way to Aucks a couple years ago. The previous owners have taken pretty good care of it. Exterior wise it's mostly tidy, one tiny dent in the rear passenger door, some barely noticeable loose trim some general use scratching but all in all tidy for a 200K vehicle. Oriental Blue seems to be the colour. Nice tidy grey leather interior with walnut wood trim. Motorised headrests seems to have slipped the cables and some cracked seatbelt trim from the rear seat, minor wear on the drivers seat. All very tidy though.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, It drives beautifully. Surprisingly economical too I've found.

I don't have a whole lot planned for it. Lower the front a little for some rake and a more even look over the rims. Maybe the Aussie power chip and the dinan trans chip - Both seem pretty economical and worth the upgrade. And at some stage a proper diff ratio once I've decided on what's best. Find and replace some trim bits to bring it all back to OG state.

I took the time to give it a wash and a little tidy this morning. It really needs a good cut and polish but my enthusiasm there waned a little even though I bought some cutting compound. Maybe best to leave it to someone more experienced. Crap day for pics I know, but here you go..

9af4393d-d937-4d33-8dd1-96f8a025eee3.jpg

d025e879-2d38-499e-b49e-dc26f8001087.jpg

d51a84e6-704e-436a-b19f-0b8a3450c573.jpg

• Like 2

Nice colour and it looks good those Schnitzers too(the kid seems to like it as well)

Welcome to the E34 540i with AC Schnitzer Type IIs club! Hope to see you at all the Auckland events, I have often been the only E34 there recently. $2.5k is a steal alright! I was stoked to get mine for $3k almost a year ago now.

jMek9JE.jpg

Surprisingly economical too I've found.

Haha what kind of fuel economy are you used to? I usually do around 14L/100km around town (not babying though) and could get it down to ~10L open road. I think both those figures are pretty awful considering many cars these days do about half that. Not that you buy one of these to save money though!

Welcome to the E34 540i with AC Schnitzer Type IIs club!

haha my wagon in that club too!

they really are one of the best looking wheels for E34, and they are so cheap

• Like 2

also 540i with snitzers club LOL

2005479525_photobucket_144950_.jpg

sans the wing same car?

Edited by JoKer
  • Like 1

AC Schnitzer Type IIs are the best wheels for E34s IMO... Great looking car and an absolute steal for $2.5k ! Great buy and welcome to Bimmersport!

Awesome purchase Rod! Take care of the car and you'll really enjoy it. Great machine and those wheels are perfectly suited, mine old 540i had some too, looked fantastic, but needed lowering at the back.

post-6193-0-05518700-1397983557.jpg

• Like 2

Such a beautiful car. :)

I wish to buy one next. and at 2.5 K. Wow, that is a steal. Why weren't these around when I was looking for another car? Maybe I will buy it off you in a few years when you are bored of it. Unless you plan on letting that kid have it when he gets his license of course :)

haha my wagon in that club too!

Wouldn't you call that a 550i? :P I would love to call mine a 544i someday..

We need to get all of these together and take some photos!

Ha. The SchnitzerII club alright. They do seem perfectly suited though, glad to read they're not uncommon cause I think I want to swap the spare out for one. There's a sad looking OG wheel in the boot that just won't do.

Oom: I wasn't sure what to expect fuel consumption wise. Im using less than I guessed I would be. Seems I can run to work from my place in CBD to Albany on around $60-$70 per week which is more than reasonable. All mway driving though. I stopped watching the consumption needle because they way ive been driving it in this honeymoon phase os a little lead-footish.

I haven't owned a V8 car for a while. The last was in the early 90's. An HK GTS monaro someone had dropped a 327 chev into. Didn't last long though, total cop magnet being rusty and matt black PA10. That seemed thirsty as hell with a cam and big holley carb.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hope to see you all around and likely ask a few noobish questions.

Ta.

• Like 1

Awesome purchase Rod! Take care of the car and you'll really enjoy it. Great machine and those wheels are perfectly suited, mine old 540i had some too, looked fantastic, but needed lowering at the back.

attachicon.gifP1000324.jpg

That blue 34 looks awesome. Mine is the same colour but scratched up and with ugly wheels. I think you have just inspired me to get a respray!

Nice buy, also a member of the 540i on Schnitzer wheels club but Type I for me.

Also very surprised to hear about good fuel economy. Around town I only get around 400kms from a full tank at $170.

• Like 1

About what I get from a tank in stop/start city driving aswell, Roo.

Nice buy, also a member of the 540i on Schnitzer wheels club but Type I for me.

Also very surprised to hear about good fuel economy. Around town I only get around 400kms from a full tank at $170.

I was checking out your car. It's very nice, I think I'm convinced the type3 Schnitzers are my alternative wheel because of it. I'll be on the lookout for a set anyway.

re fuel economy: I live around 400 meters from the alten rd / stanley st lights at the port turnoff in the CBD. It's about the most convenient motorway access you could have. One set of traffic lights and a downhill coast to access southern / northern / western Mways. and they all have the port turnoff too so I'm rarely waiting or stop/start. I basically start the car and hit 100+KPH inside a minute. If I want anything in town I just walk or cycle to it, it's quicker than driving anyway! SO that's all pretty helpful. I've done a couple thousand K's in 3 weeks? of owning it on probably $400 - $450. I only seem to be chucking $60 a week at it for a daily 35K round trip and a top up when I do something dumb like leave the eftpos card at Takanini pick-a-part. :-/