Sign in to follow this  
tech2bmw

Where to get s54 dme flashed?

Hi

I'll be doing a s54 conversion for my e30. I need to get the ews deleted and few other things disabled to get it running properly. Who would be able to help with this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are guys selling the service on Ebay, I used member 'DanThe' for an MS41 M52 ECU on e30zone - Try PM him if your on that forum, he might be able to or can point you in the right direction.

EWS3 is quite different to EWS2 on the MS41 and cant just be bypassed due to rolling ESN code changes.

You will need to run EWS and DME + key at least. There are bypass modules around but they are very hit and miss. The DME can be re-flashed to remove it. We haven't done this on a DME yet as one hasn't come available to try.

EWS3 is quite different to EWS2 on the MS41 and cant just be bypassed due to rolling ESN code changes.

You will need to run EWS and DME + key at least. There are bypass modules around but they are very hit and miss. The DME can be re-flashed to remove it. We haven't done this on a DME yet as one hasn't come available to try.

Wrong .. EWS delete on the S54 and S54HP DME is childs play now. The how to and what to change in the hex codes are all over m3forums.

Meh, might as well post the full instructions

On the MSS54/HP, search for "64 00 5a 00 00" and change that first "00" to anything else. On the MS552 the string of bytes to look for is "64 00 46 00 00"

For the versions I've looked at, the addresses were the following:

MSS52: 0x5A

MSS54: 0x60

MSS54HP: 0x8A

All slave data sections

The tricky part is which program to use.

Most now just use BMWFlash and pay the US$19 for the Vin locked license to flash the DME.

Or if you want it done free you can use Galletto 1260 and download the 32bit bin file (if non HP, 64bit if HP) and then do the correction via a generic hex editor and then use freely available checksum correction (or simply delete the checksum part in the file) and reflash with either Galletto, BWMFlash or WinOLS.

You also don't need to buy a Galletto cable ... the software just checks for cable number ... so you just need to flash the VAGCOM cable with the correct cable number and the Galletto will work like a real cable.

I just dumped my DME tonight ... fun.

You'll probably also hit speed limit issues when you do the transplant as speed isn't read over CAN on the E30 I think and the DME will be locked into max rev at 6200rpm.

Edited by M3_Power

Wrong .. EWS delete on the S54 and S54HP DME is childs play now. The how to and what to change in the hex codes are all over m3forums.

The tricky part is which program to use.

Most now just use BMWFlash and pay the US$19 for the Vin locked license to flash the DME.

Or if you want it done free you can use Galletto 1260 and download the 32bit bin file (if non HP, 64bit if HP) and then do the correction via a generic hex editor and then use freely available checksum correction (or simply delete the checksum part in the file) and reflash with either Galletto, BWMFlash or WinOLS.

You also don't need to buy a Galletto cable ... the software just checks for cable number ... so you just need to flash the VAGCOM cable with the correct cable number and the Galletto will work like a real cable.

I just dumped my DME tonight ... fun.

You'll probably also hit speed limit issues when you do the transplant as speed isn't read over CAN on the E30 I think and the DME will be locked into max rev at 6200rpm.

Tom, its still not a trival thing to do and you do need to know the pitfalls if it all goes wrong and how to prevent. Most people dont understand the constant supply current of 13.4v that is needed on the programming line to ensure 0 errors. Any none stable supply can have just as bad effects as a under voltage.

Also that software is charging for other open source efforts. The check sum is not that hard work out if you take your time yourself.

I myself prefer socketing / EPROM burning to avoid the flash counter :)

Around the speed issues .. you need to look at a DSC transplant. Or edit DSC branching program blocks in the DME and code it out of the diag tables.

Tom, its still not a trival thing to do and you do need to know the pitfalls if it all goes wrong and how to prevent. Most people dont understand the constant supply current of 13.4v that is needed on the programming line to ensure 0 errors. Any none stable supply can have just as bad effects as a under voltage.

Also that software is charging for other open source efforts. The check sum is not that hard work out if you take your time yourself.

I myself prefer socketing / EPROM burning to avoid the flash counter :)

Around the speed issues .. you need to look at a DSC transplant. Or edit DSC branching program blocks in the DME and code it out of the diag tables.

To be honest I disagree again.

Partial data flash on the s54 dme takes about 3.5minutes .... That goes for ews delete which is a single byte correction.

For your average diy enthusiast the bmwflash software is actually fairly handy even if it is a rip off of open source stuff. One major advantage in my opinion is that it only takes up one as opposed to two flash slots when compared to open source stuff.

The reality is if you use the free function to do either partial or full dump then it's fine. Like you said checksum is easily corrected and just reflash the modified file via other open source software and take up the two flash slots.

The bit about flash slot is a bit moot nowdays anyway and if you have access to a BDM writer then you can reset the flash counter back down to zero anyway. Also flashing over obd2 does have its ease of operation vs having to socket over an eprom.

Personally if you are only flashing a couple of times I would use bmwflash to do a full dump or Galletto for a partitial on the data area and modify then checksum correct and reflash. Done.

Edited by M3_Power

Tom, Just re-read what I wrote and your reply earlier .. I probably should have put in there "electrically cant just be bypassed due to rolling ESN code changes" instead of "cant just be bypassed due to rolling ESN code changes"

In essence we are talking about the same thing :)

If I may gentlemen can you "dumb it down" so some one like myself who is interested in this aspect of BMW cars can learn and understand what you are talking about many thanks.

If I may gentlemen can you "dumb it down" so some one like myself who is interested in this aspect of BMW cars can learn and understand what you are talking about many thanks.

hahaha, I know what you mean.

Haha.

Basically in the most dumbed down way to explain it is yes it can be done fairly easily in software.

Im recommending to do it by installing the ews module key and dme to retain drive away protection.

Tom is recommeding reflashing the dme and removing drive away protection function.

Both of us can do the software way. But there are no garentees it wont brick the ecu. It probably wont but if it happens you cant pin it on the person flashing the dme.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I have been reading up further on the m3forum. It seems doable and I might just have to give a go. Where did you buy your cable from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Josh, would one not take a copy of the original program onto a separate disc or such and then carry out the changes that are required so if something went walk about it has not been a total waste.

Yep if you were doing the partial read/write way. Again, I prefer the EPROM way as you have a lot more control over what your doing without the aggragate layer getting in the way.