Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

New rubber - advice please!

Hey everyone.
I haven't bought any new tyres in ages - i've had asymmetrical Michelins on my 2004 E46 330i which have last me around 4 years - pretty good given my long (and fast) summer drives!

But these guys need retiring and i'm not as flush as i used to be - does anyone have any suggestions or hook ups for a new set?

Also wondering if i'm better off buying good cond secondhand like my Michelins, or new budget tyres like Kuhmo Zetums?

thanks in advance. Dutch.

I've had a good run with Toyo's - seem to be very good for the money

• Like 1

RE050A are an above average match and really stick to the road. If you are loading the car then get the stiffer wall version for not much more $$. If you want to go cheaper then Toyo Proxes 4 Plus have a good rep.

I've had a good run with Toyo's - seem to be very good for the money

I too have had a good run from Toyos on previous cars. I put Pirelli P7's on my wifes car not that long ago & am pretty happy with them so far. I have Bridgestone RE002's on my 3 series and wouldnt recommend them from personal experience.

I should note that i also had a great experience with assymmetric Michelins on my E46 but found they were ridiculously priced to replace when I was looking.

Edited by elmarco

Cheers guys,

After a bit of research (tyrerack, an american website has comprehensive reviews) i've settled on Falken ZE912 asymmetric. It rates pretty well, and importantly for me at the moment they were cheap!

Crockett, yeah the Michelins were insanely expensive. Maybe on my next car! (2003-2004 M3)

I was happy with my Bridgestone Potenzas on my 530. Now I'm running Michelin PSS on the E92. Got them for 1K US from American Tire Depot (or TireRack). Couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

My experiences with the T1-R's and Proxes4 was while the grip decent the sidewall flex was quite noticeable, this on a E30 with 205/50/15 tyres so probably worse on an E46.

Last time i looked 16" rims are a pita to get good tyres for and aren't that cheap. Yeah 17" would be better and cheaper but 18's do have more tyre selection.

Bridgestone potenza re050a maybe?

Go with 17s much easier and would look right instead of undersized 16s on a e46

Toyo Proxi 4 - crap on the rear of an E39. Very soft sidewall & factory neg camber cuts out inside edge & renders tyre f##ked very quickly. Fine on the fronts though.

I actually rated the p4 over the T1R. Thought they were much better in the wet and gave better feedback.

People seem to rate micheline pss2 in a staggered setup for these cars.

I am on my second set of Toyo tyres first set were Proxes Ct01 which wore well looked good and overall very happy with. Second set are Proxes 4 which for a 50 series tyre looked like a 70 series they have a lot of side wall showing almost looked to big especially when new, now 6 months old the appearance is better with more of a bulge in the side wall rather than hight, this may only be for my size tyre E36, 225-50-16.

Other than that very happy with Toyo tyres especially on price point $200 per cnr, I have RE002 on another vehicle and would not recommend them to hard on the sidewall and not a quite tyre.

Dave.

After a lot of research finally fitted Hankook Ventus V12 Evos 225/45/17 very well reviewed finished 2nd to Michelin PSS in extensive testing and at about $220 -$250 per corner good value.

Can't speak for the E46, but those size staggers on an E36 with standard motorsport springs, koni sports (adjustables) and Michelin PS3s are fine. As far as i can see the E46 suspension is the same as the E36 but has been "value-engineered" (i.e. it wears out faster)

Jo

and ignore the comment about value engineering E46 chassis is very similar to E36, body shell is stiffer so benefits from good tyres and shocks.

That must be why the bushes seem to wear out faster. Not a joke, E46 suspension parts seem to need earlier replacement than similar E36 bits. That could well be down to the stiffer chassis.

I have Achilles ATR Sport on mine, and love it. Awesome grip and I find driving on them fine considering they are classed as a cheaper tyre than most. Wear well, lets me keep up with ultimate handling around corners, which was shock horror. Had the option to choose something else when replacing the rear, and decided to stick with them.

Have tried Potenza RE002 and felt the ATR's went better.

Not that my 2 cents matters, and of course different drivers, different opinions but love my ATR Sport on my E46 ACS Coupe

As some of the parts are identical and any E36 that has replaced items like rear shock mounts would now be using items made during the E46 generation - the argument of lesser quality lacks logic.

Didn't I say that the stiffer chassis may be the cause?

Anyway, anecdotal evidence (from my mechanic) is that E46 parts that are the same as E36 parts wear out in fewer kms. Go figure.

Edited by Jo M