Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Yellow headlamps..

Anyone got any tried and true solutions to restoring headlamps I.e removing the yellow off? Was told by one person to use autosol but thought I'd try here's first in case I make a balls up of it. Cheers.

On the work corolla used Brasso to clean them up. That was about 6 months ago, and they're starting to cloud up again.

I think there is an actual pack that removes the yellowing, then you apply another product to create a protective coating. I'm sure someone else has had some experience with that around here.

Ive had some success with Meguiars PlastX for clearing the lights, but never had a car long enough to see if it comes back. Ive seen people get really amazing results with wet/dry sandpaper, but too risky for me.

New lenses are the only real way to stop it. You can delay it but the fundamental problem s that polycarbonate yellows with UV exposure. The lighting manufacturers put a coating on the lamps which gets damaged - and exposes the PC.... Ive heard of kits with a spray on coating but its never going to be the same finish as the original one.

You also need to be wary of cheap nasty halogen bulbs or HID retrofits as they can both have much higher UV content & do the same thing from the inside out.

If it was me, i would try to find some new lamps (or just lenses if they are clip on). If thats too diffcult or mucho dinero, then try a kit with a sealer.

Sand headlight, buff with compound then polish then clear coat. Autosol works ok depending on how bad they are, but the sand, machine buff and clear coat method works best and will last.

Sand headlight, buff with compound then polish then clear coat. Autosol works ok depending on how bad they are, but the sand, machine buff and clear coat method works best and will last.

What grade sand paper would you recommend?

Iirc, I think last time I started with 1500 and then moved to 2000. Keep it well lubricated

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Headlight_Repair_How_to_Fix_damaged_Headlights_s/124.htm

Also watch their very detailed and well presented Youtube videos.

I am also just about to take my headlights to GT Refinishers to be cut and re-cleared. Will take before and afters.

Bellicose did a write up on this a while back but cant seem to find it at the moment.