Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Does Auckland Council have enforcement jurisdiction on state highways?

Hi guys

Just trying to clarify something..

If a stretch of road (The Strand, Parnell) is a state highway (however not obviously), does the Auckland City council have enforcement jurisdiction, e.g. parking tickets, etc. or does enforcement fall to LTNZ?

Or would LTNZ contract it to Auckland Council?

What do you guys think?

25thgqu.png

There is parking on the strand. They will enforce it.

You didn't park along there to walk to Uni did you. Rookie mistake.

IIRC there are pay and display machines on the strand

There are in the public carpark by the railway; the actual Strand is "free" but time limited. It's actually cheaper to get the tickets (typically 1/wk) than to pay to park in the carpark.

There is parking on the strand. They will enforce it.

You didn't park along there to walk to Uni did you. Rookie mistake.

Na, I work on the Strand. Some of our neighbours are just talking about how they "technically" can't actually fine you so was wondering the legitimacy of it because I have no idea.

No they can. They control the parking spaces along there. Also if you park along where the Panel shops are on the footpath.

You can argue it. They will drag it out adding late penalties. You will still end up paying.

• Like 2

It is amazing how little effort they put into reading complaints or letters of contest.

I got fined for parking in a cycle lane which had not been painted at the time. Was due to be the following week. Took 2 months of back and forth letters for them to drop it. The whole time they added late fees.

It is amazing how little effort they put into reading complaints or letters of contest.

I got fined for parking in a cycle lane which had not been painted at the time. Was due to be the following week. Took 2 months of back and forth letters for them to drop it. The whole time they added late fees.

They must get thousands every week

Na, I work on the Strand.

Anywhere near Saint georges bay rd?

AT administer it on behalf of NZTA I think. It is weird it's part of SH16. There is another crowd 'Auckland Motorways' that actually admins the SH in Auckland too. But the NZTA is involved too? If someone could summarise the structure definitively in this thread I would ... like your comment.

Anywhere near Saint georges bay rd?

Up by VTNZ on the Strand, about 200m from St. G B rd.

Think you will find that the section of road you are referring to is not a state highway,.

How come you think this? (genuine question not smartass comeback)

I'm under the impression that they are considering extending the motorway from the Port exit, all the way along The Strand to Tamaki Drive (which would support the theory that it is already a highway)

How come you think this? (genuine question not smartass comeback)

I'm under the impression that they are considering extending the motorway from the Port exit, all the way along The Strand to Tamaki Drive (which would support the theory that it is already a highway)

That was the plan a while back ( they were going to demo the building opposite Caltex that has the gym on the ground floor ), not sure if that's still on the cards. Makes no sense if it is.

Boxing alley? Why? They just spent months fixing the roads on that intersection..

Boxing alley? Why? They just spent months fixing the roads on that intersection..

This was years ago.

I think that stupid building got Historical Classification didn't it? Or am I thinking of another shitty old building around that area that is in the way of modern development?

Because one side doesn't talk to the other?

All of the buildings along there have demo clauses in their leases, or at least they did, as I leased them. The plan was to run straight down and along Beach Rd taking out the "dangerous" corners on The Strand. Don't know what's happened since.

Because one side doesn't talk to the other?

All of the buildings along there have demo clauses in their leases, or at least they did, as I leased them. The plan was to run straight down and along Beach Rd taking out the "dangerous" corners on The Strand. Don't know what's happened since.

All the roads in the area are a cluster f**k.

Why on earth, when they were upgrading the intersection outside the Caltex over the last few months, did they not allow for a right hand turn into Caltex and the Carlaw Business Park ( coming down the Port motorway exit ). Madness. There is certainly room for a right turn lane.

All the roads in Auckland are a cluster f**k.

All the roads in the area are a cluster f**k.

Why on earth, when they were upgrading the intersection outside the Caltex over the last few months, did they not allow for a right hand turn into Caltex and the Carlaw Business Park ( coming down the Port motorway exit ). Madness. There is certainly room for a right turn lane.

Because they won't allow a right turn across a State Highway, which is what that part of the road is designated.

Because they won't allow a right turn across a State Highway, which is what that part of the road is designated.

That makes sense. But it makes getting into that business park a pita.

But its an intersection? The speedlimit sign clearly states 50. You can easily slow down for the red light why cant you turn right into carlaw its stupid as hell. U cant u turn at the next lights, so u need to either go up the hill do a dangerous u turn, or go straight down strand and do a dangerous u turn, or go left at the next lights then do a u turn.. logic? None.

But its an intersection? The speedlimit sign clearly states 50. You can easily slow down for the red light why cant you turn right into carlaw its stupid as hell. U cant u turn at the next lights, so u need to either go up the hill do a dangerous u turn, or go straight down strand and do a dangerous u turn, or go left at the next lights then do a u turn.. logic? None.

Yep, any direction you head it's a dangerous u-turn, or a trip around a block to turn around safely.

Or you do as plenty of people do in the mornings and wait to turn right up Parnell Road, and pull a u-turn there, nearly causing collisions by people behind you rear-ending you.

Getting wonderfully off topic, but the actual traffic plan is exit at Wellesley St turning left, then right past the University, right again down Waterloo Quadrant, down Alten Rd and across SH16 into Carlaw Park.

I can confirm The Strand is a State Highway.

I spend months arguing with Auckland Motorways (administers motorways within the Auckland City limits) and Auckland Transport to gain approval to erect scaffold over the footpath at the Saatchi & Saatchi building. The process was typically bureaucratic like anything involving public agencies that don't talk to each other.

I won!