Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Tappets

Hey Just a Minor Querie ( as i cant drive it any where if you read the other topic that occured yesterday )

But the tapets have been adjusted and yet a ticking noise still remains. It is alot quieter so thats good, but theres still a distinctive ticking noise coming from underneath the rocker cover ? I am Going to adjust them again just incase on of the valve clearances is out slightly but yeah

Could they just be worn as it is, and thats some thing im going to have to live with

So on that ? Um, The Oil that im running the car is some one CRAP, and needs a oil change soon. With a good oil change and a 1lt of Mauries Oil Will that reduce the noise ( i heard from some one i should do that )

Just live with it, I challenge you to find an M20 owner that dosen't have some kind of valve chatter.

If the the valves have been adjusted correctly and the noise is still there, don't worry about it, it isn't causing any harm.

Cheers

Grant

We all have it and it's either the tappets or injectors doing the tickety tick, however, I would change your oil soon as you don't want to putting some crap brand into your car. See oil threads for that debate though

Edited by ///Carl

Please don't make the mistake of over-tightening the rockers just to get rid of the ticking noise, that can cause all sorts of problems, some major. :banghead:

The feeler gauge should have just a little resistance when you push it in and out, not have to rip it out. If you can remove it and get it back under the rocker easily without forcing it, that is what you should aim for...

A slightly noisy rocker is a much happier rocker than a quiet tight one !!! :bounce:

lol yeah. ive heard that from alot of people and i think i might leave it give it a oil change and put some mauries in, ill just go round town at 5000 rpm like a race car and people wont notice the ticking......... ( one of my friends recommended ) i get a big bore on my car and a full extracted exaust and the advantages are the HP increase and people cant hear the ticking noise either

Guest Andrew

i get a big bore on my car and a full extracted exaust and the advantages are the HP increase and people cant hear the ticking noise either

3 grand to get rid of a normal noise - miiinnt

any thing is worth getting rid of a annoying ticking noise ............... or not, ill ditch the exaust idea for a while

3 G is worth it though ....... :thumb: