Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Mufflers

Where does everyone buy their rear tip mufflers from?

I need something to replace mine with, without losing the deep BMW sound of an OEM muffler.

Anyone local deal with Magnaflow mufflers? The 14815 seems perfect for what I want, or if anyone can suggest similar priced / sounding ones locally in NZ?

Anything dual round stainless tipped, 3" max. I've heard of e36 m3 mufflers being used too, with abit of DIY.

The Magnaflow 14815 - I'd buy one of Ebay but they are a rip with that import tax they now have,

41WKLl1RxLL._SY300_.jpg

Amazon's an option to buy from. I just went through checkout to see how much it would be for that 14815 to Wellington. $222+$129 shipping. And that's USD I think. Not sure if that's any use to you, but thought I'd try.

Amazons shipping includes border tax which doesnt apply to something that cheap so they are essentially stealing 35 follars off you

Ebay, Dotcomparts for the massive Magnaflow range, they make some really great mufflers. Shipping is fair.

dotcomparts do the muffler for $154 US, But $298 US shipping.. :(

Ebay would be cheapest if it weren't for that stupid tax sh*t they do now.

Surely somewhere local deals with reasonable priced euro mufflers?

Edited by e30ftw

Email them, it would be way cheap than that. 50-150usd tops for a muffler or two.

I've bought heaps from em. :)

Also just avoid those stupid listings with the extra taxes slapped on. Plenty of good sellers aren't doing that.

Edited by Michael.

Yeah I would think so too, Just emailed for a quote.

Oh really, thought it was mandatory on all auctions cos I noticed the same on EBay Aus too. Maybe I'll have another look through.

So they replied already @$250 USD shipped. Locking it in before they change their mind. Thanks Michael! :)

• Like 1

So they replied already @$250 USD shipped. Locking it in before they change their mind. Thanks Michael! :)

Video once installed!! :ph34r:

ya seee!

Dotcomparts are good guys. Just dont spend over the $400nzd GST threshold :P

Good find. Am looking at getting something similar in the future. Like you said, I want to keep that nice OEM sound :D

How did it all work, are you completing the trade through Ebay or not? Curious as to how you managed to avoid that tax, since it seems that the sellers themselves have no control over it. :huh:

Don't buy any items that state "Customs services and international tracking provided"

Then just pay through paypal linked to a debit or credit card and wait 1-2 weeks for it to arrive. Trick is to spend less than 400NZD including shipping to avoid the chance of a 15% GST bill and a $60+ processing levy slapped on top.

• Like 1

I e-mailed dotcomparts to give me a proper quote as I believed their quote system was wrong, they gave me a proper quote and if I wanted to buy gave me their paypal to send the money to and details.

Yeah I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on a muffler, I have read alot of good things about the magnaflow and if you have a listen to them on e30's on Youtube they sound good.

• Like 1

I highly recommend summit racing, they have multiple shipping options and their prices are awesome. I ordered A LOT of stuff through them when building my Ford and never had a problem at all.

So I finally got around ti fitting the magnaflow a month ago, 2x 2.5" coby baffled mufflers and the magnaflow rear box. It's quite loud and keeps the same sort of tone (almost a drone like sound) from idle.

Wondering if I should fit another in-line muffler (If I have room), or swap a coby out for a bigger more baffled muffler.

Or swap the magnaflow since it's pretty much a straight through muffler :S

Any suggestions?

Does it just have the coby and magnaflow, no resonator or cats?

My V12 sounds good with a couple of resonators instead of the cats, the stock resonator and magnaflow boxes. Every car I've had that has had the resonator removed sounds terrible - too loud and droney.

It's 2.5" all way with 2 coby mufflers, then to the rear Magnaflow box. I have one small resonator that I never fitted. Was under the impression it would make it louder but not sure.

So 2 of these in 2.5"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-781328367.htm

And I have one of these but chose not to use it since it's a straight through

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-781529735.htm

Those Coby units don't do much. I kept the factory resonator which looks like this on the E31:

mQT8h1nSSMpTjC711HqBQuQ.jpg

And this on my old E39:

540exhaust.jpg

Both do a seriously good job of reducing cabin noise and drone in particular and the exhaust is still plenty loud enough without cats and decent mufflers. You could try your Coby unit first but then I'd suggest looking at factory options if you want to expel the drone.

Good point, M52B28. I have M52 headers - Was looking into other options but nothing is really cost effective on a RHD nor trying to fit m3 headers so just did the rest.

I actually went back through your thread Josh to see what you used. 550i one looks to big for mine and you run straight pipes throughout too. But I wondered what the inlet size of a 530i muffler was as it's a similar muffler just smaller.