Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Battery Replacement

Fellow Sporters, im in need of some advise around a replacement battery for an E39. My Ex-Touring had the standard massive brick, but I have relocated the battery to another part of the car and was hoping run something slightly smaller.

No I have less then half the electronics running now, after having removed all the Audio and Nav gear along with interior lights.

Any suggestions on what kind of battery I could use?

Cannot offer any advice on other battery types you could try. Even having removed the audio and nav gear the e39's have a lot of other electronics going on in the back ground requiring juice so a good battery with some amps is essential hence the "brick" which it had fitted.

Edited by tim 325

Unfortunately most of the stuff you have pulled out is stuff that doesnt use much power anyway, you will still need as close to the original size battery as possible in terms of amp hours, have you thought about running 2 smaller batteries?

Yea I agree, like she starts up fine with a DIN55, but that is allot wider then what im after. it has the height that im after, just not the width. Will probably need to go to a battery centre of some sort id imagine..OR find another relocation point to fit the standard one

That could be an idea with the two smaller batteries Andrew, could connect them in series or something. Ill have a play around this weekend and see what the go is

Yeah, I wouldn't scrimp on battery power on an E39. Trans and engine failsafes will kick in if voltage fluctuates even a little. The guy who bought mine got engine failsafe when he tried to connect an iPhone 5 instead of 4 to the little iPod thingy I'd fitted. Car didn't like it!

That could be an idea with the two smaller batteries Andrew, could connect them in series or something. Ill have a play around this weekend and see what the go is

series would be a very bad idea :P

Yeah, I wouldn't scrimp on battery power on an E39. Trans and engine failsafes will kick in if voltage fluctuates even a little. The guy who bought mine got engine failsafe when he tried to connect an iPhone 5 instead of 4 to the little iPod thingy I'd fitted. Car didn't like it!

Haha yea I'm just re calculating another relocation point to fit the standard battery, hopefully there is enough clearance under the new floor..

I have run a 740i on a din55. Not reccomended size but was all that was available at the time.

Any smaller size than that you will be looking at a gel battery i would say. Get you bank account ready though

I have run a 740i on a din55. Not reccomended size but was all that was available at the time.Any smaller size than that you will be looking at a gel battery i would say. Get you bank account ready though

What is a Gel battery? We are under budget for the project so far, so I'm sure we could invest in a decent battery

Fellow Sporters, im in need of some advise around a replacement battery for an E39. My Ex-Touring had the standard massive brick, but I have relocated the battery to another part of the car and was hoping run something slightly smaller.

No I have less then half the electronics running now, after having removed all the Audio and Nav gear along with interior lights.

Any suggestions on what kind of battery I could use?

hi francois,did you recently sold the touring seat at TM?

hi francois,did you recently sold the touring seat at TM?

Hi, from last month? I sold almost all the touring interior

Gel batteries have more power for the size

They are gel based inside instead of liquid acid.

This means they can be mounted at any angle and are much longer lasting. expect to spend 400-500 from what i remember

Gel batteries have more power for the sizeThey are gel based inside instead of liquid acid.This means they can be mounted at any angle and are much longer lasting. expect to spend 400-500 from what i remember

Ah that ain't to bad. I'll take a drive down to the auto battery place in Albany tomorrow to have a look at what they have. If it's gonna save me time and space, then $500 will be worth it I guess.

quote name="FrancoisPV" post="538361" timestamp="1404290205"]

http://www.mrpositive.co.nz/gel-cell-lead-acid-batteries/?gclid=CjgKEAjw286dBRDmwbLi8KP71GQSJAAOk4sjRIAaAGPlhrEIqwSF4sL01PV_emrkzzvFlA9102-Y3_D_BwE

Wowsa, talk about heavy duty...priceYou dont want a deep cycle, they wont last in a car! I think the odessy style batteries are probably what you are after.i dont think they will be any cheaper though!!

http://www.odysseybatteries.co.nz/

Edited by aja540i

Yea oddysey ones are popular in race cars where space is an issue.

Thanks lads, ive just emailed them with the details of my standard battery VS what will be needed to run the new engine and setup etc, will see what they say. I have some heavy duty audio gear I rad in my DB drag car that I will be using to help with the power load etc, it worked wonders in the other car