Sign in to follow this  
mikkel

Tyre recommendations for an E36

I am driving a 1993 E36 325i. About a year ago I bought a set of mags for it - Style 68, staggered - which came with a set of Dunlop Direzzas at the time (225 up front, 235 at the rear - seems an odd match).

Never liked the tyres that much TBQFH, and so it is about time to change them out for some new ones. They are getting pretty bald at the rear, which does make for a few laughs on wet days I suppose... still, they just do not feel right.

I have had a look around and it seems that people are raving about Michelins Pilot Sports - typically without specifying whether they are taking about Pilot Sport 2s, Pilot Sport 3s or Pilot Super Sports. I have Pilot Sport 3s on my 2003 Legacy GT and they seem pretty decent. I had Bridgestone RE050s on my old 1998 GT-B and they seemed pretty good too.

In any case I would appreciate if anyone had experiences with running 225/245 staggered setup on a non-M3 E36 and could recommend some rubber. I am not locked in on neither the Michelins or Bridgestones - just had reasonably good experiences with them in the past. That said, they are not the cheapest of tyres and I do not mind saving where I can, so long as the compromise isn't bad.

I have PS3s in that size - they replaced Bridgstone Re001s. Same or better grip, and a much more comfortable ride. Cost about $1150 for the set.

Should also state the profile of tge tyres. 40 45 etc

Ok, just so there is no confusion - I would be going for 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 on the rear.

Not an E36 but I have Pilot Sport 2 ZP on my E90 335 M Sport. 255/35/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 on the front. Outstanding wet grip and give me total confidence. That said, they are $720 each to replace the rears and I won't be spending that kind of money when I can get an RE050 for about $400.

I'm no expert but my understanding is;

PS3 are a different line of tyre - cheaper and lower performance than the others.

PS2 are an old model.

PSS are like the 'new' PS2

I would be keen on the Bridgestone RE050s - I liked them on the old GT-B. Alas, they do not do a 245/40/17.

PS2s - $720 for a tyre, I think not. I do realise it is quite a different size from what I am looking for - however I anticipate that they would still be hideously expensive.

Sounds like PS3s are the best candidate so far given that no-one is raving about the RE002s.

I may drop in tomorrow. I have RE002s at present and would happily try something else for some wet weather grip.

I found the re002s to have great wet weather grip .. 245s on the rear! Either that or I don't have enough power (or balls) to test the grip limits

I found the re002s to have great wet weather grip .. 245s on the rear! Either that or I don't have enough power (or balls) to test the grip limits

I found that too - pulling out of side roads in the wet doesn't get the traction light flashing like it used too, and even provoking it doesn't cause drama either (although with the traction off it's a bit different :P )

Its for the Falcon, they light up from 0-70km/h in a straight line.