Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

How good is the M10?

I have a friend who purhcased a 1987 E30 coupe in red who is potentially selling it on really soon and I am quite keen on it.

It is an 87' 318i with a 5 speed manual. I THINK that it has the M10 engine.

If so what is the M10 like? The car is quite high kms (over 200) but it generally tidy and probably quite cheap.

The M10 is generally pretty bulletproof, like all engines it doesnt respond well to overheating so make sure the cooling system is in good nick, it will almost certainly leak a bit of oil, timing chain so no belt to replace, and no plastic parts to self destruct!! Is a 30 odd year old design so dont expect great performance, but it gets the job done.

The m10 is a good 'un. BMW bought older higher-mileage examples and then used them (as the M12) for Formula 1 - it was estimated to produce over 1400hp at one point, although as they couldn't accurately measure more than 1000hp, that's a moot point.

It's solid, and if looked after will be reliable. And even if it does have problems, it's not difficult to fix.

Nice, thanks for the input!

I am picking it up tomorrow to borrow for the weekend so I will post back on how good it is :D

Can't wait. I have never driven or even been in an E30 and I have had 3 BMWs.

m42b18 conversion

To do this conversion could I use the original gearbox or would I need to change that out swell? There is an M42 on trade me for $450 atm in good shape by the looks.

You will need to change the gearbox and get a driveshaft to suit. Shouldnt be too hard to find.

You will need to change the gearbox and get a driveshaft to suit. Shouldnt be too hard to find.

I do like the M42 but by the sounds of things its quite a process to convert an M10 to an M42.

Basing that on this >>>

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Swap_-_M42

While the M20 swap from an M10 looks a lot easier >>>

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Swap_-_M20

Ok so I got the car home after a small drive. What I noticed straight away:

- Cold start was difficult. Car took some cranking to go and once going needed throttle to idle around 1200rpm for 1 - 2 mins before it could sustain itself.

- Engine is a little tappity, maybe an oil change or will the valves need tuning?

- Thermostat is on its way out so will need to be replaced

Other then that the car has a lot of character and sits damn well on the road.

Given it's a 27 year old car it sounds like its doing pretty well, all things considered.

Were I in your shoes I'd be looking to the M52B28. Thoroughly documented conversion process, and will yield far superior results to the M20. Sure, hot cams and a 2.7 stroker kit will get you close to M52 numbers, but at a much higher cost. I'd rather an M10 E30 than a M42 E36 any day!

If it passes the rot test it'll be a great platform to start from. Good luck, whichever way you leap!

Ok so I got the car home after a small drive. What I noticed straight away:

- Cold start was difficult. Car took some cranking to go and once going needed throttle to idle around 1200rpm for 1 - 2 mins before it could sustain itself.

- Engine is a little tappity, maybe an oil change or will the valves need tuning?

- Thermostat is on its way out so will need to be replaced

Other then that the car has a lot of character and sits damn well on the road.

Throttle body probably needs a good clean, also check for vacuum leaks.

Rockers will need adjusting, good thing theres only 8!

Thermostat change is literally 3 hose clamps!

Sounds pretty decent as far as M10s go. Have fun!

If you dont care about being slow the M10 is great, reliable, easy to work on and cheaper to repair. Can't say the same for M52.

If you dont care about being slow the M10 is great, reliable, easy to work on and cheaper to repair. Can't say the same for M52.

That was kinda what I was thinking. One of the lovely things about the M10, other than it's reliability, is it's (relative) simplicity.

That said, I don't know much about the M52. Is that the dual-VANOS motor?

Have a friend that might be keen on selling a complete m42

Edited by polley