Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

Importing parts from america?

Hey guys

Im looking at importing some springs etc... from america and just wondering on if you guys had any experiences or ppl to deal with to avoid hefty freight and customs charges...

Thanks

Jeremy

It might pay to tell us what you are wanting. Too often we look overseas to look for solutions that could have been sorted here. Weight is the enemy, and springs are heavy. Try to avoid going over $400.00NZD, because if you do, you get a $60.00 tax and 15% for every $100.00NZD thereafter. Something like that. That's coming straight from the supplier. I don't think you can avoid that particular tax, unless of course customs don't pick it up. Cheaper freight is a different issue and others may be able to help, I always use the suppliers conventional methods because then at least if it doesn't get here, you only have to deal with one company. Kiwishipping gets mentioned on here when it comes to cheap freight if that helps.

looking at importing some suspension springs, in particular H&R race springs for an E90 which no-one in NZ seems to stock :/

If you're stuck on H&R you'll whittle down the choices. US sellers don't seem to like to move from what's familiar to them so you'll be stuck with USPS or FEDEX for shipping.

Ebay.de is a good place to shop, then you're dealing with the super efficient Deutsche Post and their international carrier DHL.

It might pay to tell us what you are wanting.  Too often we look overseas to look for solutions that could have been sorted here.  Weight is the enemy, and springs are heavy.  Try to avoid going over $400.00NZD, because if you do, you get a $60.00 tax and 15% for every $100.00NZD thereafter.  Something like that.  That's coming straight from the supplier.  I don't think you can avoid that particular tax, unless of course customs don't pick it up.  Cheaper freight is a different issue and others may be able to help, I always use the suppliers conventional methods because then at least if it doesn't get here, you only have to deal with one company.  Kiwishipping gets mentioned on here when it comes to cheap freight if that helps.

Do they include shipping in this $400 limit? Or is it just the physical items

Abit off topic but don't install h&r springs, we had them in one of our e90 a few years back and they were the worst

The ride height was great but my god it was bumpy, we didn't even bothered taking them back out when we traded the car

FWIW I just got new Vogtland springs landed for $220NZD. Ebay.de. Seller: hotcarparts.

I've only read good things about them. Firmer than stock but not harsh allegedly.

Abit off topic but don't install h&r springs, we had them in one of our e90 a few years back and they were the worst

The ride height was great but my god it was bumpy, we didn't even bothered taking them back out when we traded the car

were they the race springs you had fitted? h&r do tend to be a bit stiffer as they are progressive rate springs.....

Only time I've come up against the GST threshold they called me and I paid over the phone. Cant remember the co. though. Was several years ago from Turners.

Have something coming which will trigger it again via FEDEX. Will see how good they are.

whats the go with second hand items . do they still attract GST if over $400

I've imported a few parts from the US recently...www.youshop.co.nz is run by NZ Post and provides a US domestic address for your supplier to ship to (their warehouse) and they on-ship to you from there at significantly less cost than shipping directly from the supplier! As a bonus a lot of US suppliers ship free domestically (at least to the lower 48 states) so you're only paying once...

Might work for you depending on size/weight etc...

Hope this helps

Mike

Edited by Red Dwarf

Size and weight is the killer. Air freight with weight is stupid expensive

If you can buy the same stuff from the UK (or europe), the shipping will be buttloads cheaper...

... and usually faster by miles too.

I am just consolidating a few things at kiwishipping.com in California so will land in Lyttleton in about 3-4 weeks. If you are quick, you could add to my shipment to save freight costs. Which part of NZ you are in as you don't have it on your profile ...

Pretty sure the reserve bank is more interested in the billions we export than private imports

of course, there's no doubt about that! At least while we continue to be an economy relying on primary industry. our knowledge-economy remains a dream.

meanwhile I want that above-point-eight-oh rate #8 )

they said on the news they're looking at it rounding out at about 67cents and john key was very happy with that.So be in quick its all about to get worse