Sign in to follow this  
RobD

Power loss over time

Hi guys,

Anyone on here had their higher mileage engines dyno tested and been pleasantly surprised by the results? I'm curious to get your thoughts on how time and mileage affects an engine's power output, assuming the engine has been serviced frequently with the right products, and been well taken care of - i.e. driven gently most of the time with the odd clear-out now and then. My N54 is on around 145,000 kms now, has always been serviced (had new turbos and injectors at 100,000 km too) and still feels great - but I do wonder whether it would have felt noticeably better 50,000 kms ago, and whether it will feel noticeably weaker in another 30,000 km. Odd question I know, but I am curious to hear of your experiences - especially with dyno figures on older engines remaining pretty close to the original output!

Cheers,
Rob

Edited by RobD

I dyno'd my 540i at at 270ish km and it made 161kw atw, i dont know what it would have put down when new, but that seems to be in line withthe factory quoted power figure (210kw at flywheel) since then i have freshened the motor up and converted to manual, so my next dyno reading will be interesting!

PS, my car gets 'cleared out' pretty regularly, with the odd bit of gentle driving, and seemed to be pretty well serviced before i got it.;)

i have found that most modern engines if serviced and not over heated seam to hold the power outputs quite well,

m50 m52 m54 m60 m62 types etc

i had a 92 325i with 200k's make same power as a 96 328i with 100k's on a dyno

and as above 161kw witha 540i is bang on.

no so much with m20 and m30 engines, (maybe valves no sealing as well) and old afm's going off etc

• Like 1

I dyno'd my 540i at at 270ish km and it made 161kw atw, i dont know what it would have put down when new, but that seems to be in line withthe factory quoted power figure (210kw at flywheel) since then i have freshened the motor up and converted to manual, so my next dyno reading will be interesting!

PS, my car gets 'cleared out' pretty regularly, with the odd bit of gentle driving, and seemed to be pretty well serviced before i got it. ;)

Be honest... the "gentle" bit is from the lawn to the driveway!

Pretty happy with my std E34 535 with 330,000km making 171rwhp(6 less hp than a 3L M54 auto)

In my experience with M30's - new ignition components, cleaning injectors, adjusting afm etc has helped restore power. Would of nice to dyno my old 535i with 530,000 on the clock.

Modern engines also have a lot of sensors to keep them running optimally. For the sake of testing mechanical wear on an engine after 100+ thousand kms it would be ideal to dyno the car in the same conditions as when it was dyno'd with lower kms. i.e same inlet air and coolant temps, on top of replacing Sensors that have become faulty since the previous dyno run.

ive had the same concerns .. with 280kms on my engine I am expecting many ponies to have escaped the stable.

However it seems to hold it's own against e46 m3s .. (in controlled situations of course), however can't judge much by that .. will wait until I get my exhaust and get it chipped on a dyno to see what it's putting out ..