Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

MSS54 and MSS54HP DME thread

Very smart people have now developed OBD tools that can do basically what a BDM can do now on the MSS54 DME, but I am still partial to BDM because of its ability to recover and the speed it reads and writes. There are various BDM solutions out there, but in my opinion the cheapest and most reliable tool out there is the clone Galletto system at the moment.

I figured I would do a write up for those that want to do this on their own, so I quickly threw something together (hence the carpet!! Don't do this!!!) and show how you can bench/carpet flash via BDM.

Once you have installed everything correctly and the software runs, hook your system up like so (one power supply source to power the DME and Galletto is sufficient, in this case a switchable power supply pack that's on 12V 2.5A output was stable for this DME).

Software screen should show you the voltage, select 5V for BDM flashing.

IMAG5272_zpse0082f1e.jpg

Galletto provides a connector board between the Galletto main unit and the BDM connector plug line - this basically just switches the pins around. I didn't like the board itself as it made everything too short and the contacts were not insulated so you could accidentally ground or short on the DME, so ended up making my own conversion harness (easily enough to do, just follow the printed track on the connector board) - Self made harness top, supplied board bottom.

IMAG5283_zps2100936d.jpg

The siemens BDM connector

IMAG5281_zps3ed92d0c.jpg

Alternatively you can use spring loaded BDM probes on a siemens board that you can buy on the net - handy if you don't want to solder header pins.

IMAG5282_zpsbeaf9c77.jpg

From main software screen select driver and select as per screenshot for the MSS54/HP

IMAG5275_zps15ad3573.jpg

Ok, then click Connect

IMAG5276_zps205da536.jpg

Once connected it will show the chipset in box on top left. In this case FLASH AMD 29F200BB

IMAG5277_zpsf20118b8.jpg

Now to read, click Read Ext Flash, screen pops up, just type in name of the file you want to call it and the location you want to save it to

IMAG5278_zps8ddc83ed.jpg

Save and it'll start reading

IMAG5279_zpsdeef6dd9.jpg

Done.

To write, the process is the same, except you select Write Ext Flash. A screen will pop up for you to select the .bin file, then it'll ask if you want checksum corrected. Rest is self explanatory.

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Decided to make my own connector wire rather than use the adapters from the kit.

IMAG5293_zpszz1pnqn3.jpg

Also made my own IAT relocation wiring for the stack modification (what a bitch to put those weather dust boots on!! All OEM BMW parts used)

IMAG5295_zpsaju35uzi.jpg

This is fascinating as hell even though i have no idea whats happening half the time! Keep coming with the updates :-)

• Like 1

MS41.0 EWS delete in testing

Have been playing with ms41.0 and ews my self. Yet to test it on anything though, but in theory should work.

• Like 1

Agree on the updates. Just because we don't reply heaps, doesn't mean we aren't interested/watching.

I'd been fiddling with VW stuff, though not quit as in depth. Reading EEPROMs and altering IMMO pins etc, so it's cool to see stuff like this.

Keep it up!

B)

• Like 1

Love Tom`s handiwork mainly because I get to test it. Super impressed with everything to date.

Big thanks from HELLBM

• Like 4

Have been playing with ms41.0 and ews my self. Yet to test it on anything though, but in theory should work.

Have successfully flashed new modified file for the MS41.0 ... have sent the DME off to the owner to test! Fingers crossed I haven't screwed things up LOL!! Although technically everything is reversible. Ray have also kindly donated a DME for me to play with - although surprisingly this one doesn't read out as easily as the other one I had - very strange (full dump basically stops at 61% of memory - maybe faulty?? I shall need to look further).

In other news, have had a chance to have a quick comparison look into the Evolve Tune on the MSS54 .. needless to say I am impressed!! The tune is VERY extensive from what I can gather - unlike the Superchip tune which seems to manipulate knock control more than anything else the Evolve tune is by far and most a PROPER tune, which involves virtually every single main table there is in the DME (from ignition to fueling to intake air scale, knock control, throttle curve ect and if I read correctly Vanos also) - So much so that any hope of me transferring what they have done to another software version is probably next to none given my limited knowledge and skill sets on this. Yet to test it on a real car however - although reading the graphs it has lead me to believe that this tune maybe based on a modified engine with non-OEM cams (the extra fueling seems too high for stock cams). Interesting though.

tom youll probably find it will be running much larger injectors. With this the injector scaling will be different as with knock etc. Sounds like the tune is matched to the cams and all tables for it.

Older versions of ms41.0 have some sort of read protection and will fail, if you want to read it you'll have to pull the chip and put in your programmer.

alternatively just flash over it with a newer version that allows reads.. hardware between ms41.0 and 41.1 and 41.2 are the same. I have flashed a ms41.0 to 41.2.

Older versions of ms41.0 have some sort of read protection and will fail, if you want to read it you'll have to pull the chip and put in your programmer.

alternatively just flash over it with a newer version that allows reads.. hardware between ms41.0 and 41.1 and 41.2 are the same. I have flashed a ms41.0 to 41.2.

Not from my experience. 41.0 seems to be quite easy to read and rewrite.

Any ways ... have been toying around with EWS recently and I am reasonably certain now that I can Virginise EWS modules (up till 3.3) - This will allow used EWS modules to be paired with DMEs missing one and new key transponders made.

Looks like I'll be able to do the following:

MS41.0 - EWS delete

MS42.0 - pair with new EWS module and key transponder

MS43.0 - pair with new EWS module and key transponder

Looking into CAS systems now also but the tooling for these are fairly expensive, so we shall see as this is turning into a rather expensive hobby with all the tooling LOL!!!

I've only had that problem on one ms41.0 which was an older one. Others have been fine.

Been a while since updates ...

Decided to do a bit of IAT testing with my spare airbox (and gives me a chance to clean the one in the car properly with it out of the car!!! - given the spare airbox came off a racecar, everything IAT related was already done (blocking of original placement and new pick up) all I had to do was make up a connector line so it'll be plug and play. I wanted to see if the IAT relocation actually made sense in this car so I ran some data logging on it. Also removed the intake flap motor at the same time of course from the DME so it is error code free. Given what I have seen with this modification it definitely makes sense to relocate the IAT!!!

391E6FDC-FEA8-4EEE-A2F4-63CCB5C38EDF_zps

4C4BEDA1-58FF-4D59-90A3-DE43DB89613F_zps

Next up, exposed ITBs ... just need to look into the vacuum side to make sure it'll run correctly.

• Like 2

Been a while since I updated.

Have now expanded into other areas and I can also now do the following:

E46 LCM firmware reflash - update from CI35 to CI36 or CI37 - these give extra functions to the light controls - most notable the triple blink feature. I also own brand new units of CI36 and CI37, meaning I can flash these into brand new units ready for coding with any cars. Of course not entirely necessary to turn these into brand new units, but helpful as CI36 and CI37 firmware locks out odometer and VIN number tampering.

Also in the works at the moment is the infamous E38/39 727 airbag module - I can now flash these modules also and fix the dreaded 240 internal ecu error (under testing, awaiting confirmation that these repairs are software related).

• Like 3

Confirmed from Ray@Hellbm that the infamous E38/39 727 airbag module can be repaired to fix the 240 internal ecu error. Please see Ray if you have this issue!

Great updates Tom. Good on you :) I envy your ability with this stuff

Been a while since I've posted to this thread ... thought it was about time to do an update on what I've been doing.

Have had the first most complete CSL conversion in the country I believe for an E46 M3. I won't reveal who the owner is, but here's a short video of the Karbonius carbon airbox in action.

The car has a full CSL converted MSS54HP DME together with H Bridge driver for the snorkel flap. I have personally driven this car briefly and I can confirm it drives and feels 99.5% like a real CSL.

Given how expensive CSLs have become to acquire, personally I think building a replica is now both cheaper and easier to do!!!

Video 

I've also been a little bit obsessed with the BMW touch screen GT1 machines of late. More so because I've always liked these Dinosaurs and have always thought these were quite cool for its time. But mostly because these have now become so rare but are still quite a powerful and useful system and it seems no one in the world has actually documented these very well or tried to repair them.

Came an opportunity one day to pick up 5 of these for pocket change and a bunch of diagnostic heads (7 to be precise) ... I knew the touch screens were all broken on all but one machine (turns out this touch screen was faulty also) and none were functioning as far as the seller was aware. Decided why not give it a go at repairing them.

9C7534C4-C18E-4BE3-8121-27782819FD0B_zps

Today I have 4 functioning machines with brand new touch screens and 7 working diagnostic heads.

650B3D53-259D-4837-ACC3-9548EC9DF08C_zps

448E922E-8895-48B6-8C8D-843D61A64C8A_zps

What these look like taken apart

C9BE36CD-ED5B-4CC7-822C-4B07E6F9FC33_zps

E0F20719-6D8D-415A-8755-6919F71EF5E7_zps

84B86D8F-64DA-49DC-823A-D9EE5ABB48D8_zps

3FAD22CE-B11C-417D-8C37-7F060F8E1C0C_zps

8257B181-1EB9-40E5-9A42-EB50F6E0D29C_zps

F3D7278A-E556-4312-890B-8A796C96ADFC_zps

Touch Screen replacement

2FE34158-A757-482C-B5F0-C044F8FD173A_zps

5741EF6F-661F-4E24-9866-8C7AB42F2AF9_zps

I have also gotten to know the Yellow diagnostic heads quite well now and can now repair these to an extent ... have successfully repaired no less than 4 of these (2 genuine units) and one for Ray@Hellbm.

I will document repair procedures for these Diagnostic heads when I get sometime as these things are no longer produced or cloned by Chinese vendors, it seems a crying shame to see these systems disappear.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 3

Big plus to Tom for his help with many of the issues we encounter @ HELLBM.

• Like 1

Can the MSS54HP DME be flashed a similar way as the MS43 DME can? Can you ground pin 104 and put it into boot mode using flashing software? I'm interested in deleting my EWS. I opened my DME and it is laid out slightly different than an MS43 DME. Are there any sites the go over the process of flashing these DMEs? I'm interesting learning, more so than saving money buying a DME with EWS delete or sending it to someone so they can do it. 

Hey bro 

@M3_Power I was just doing some research on unbricking DME’s and saw one of your old posts about being able to fix almost any bricked DME. Long story short is I’ve fried mine (no communication to DME and temp needle goes straight to hot). Now, this has a custom supercharger tune on it, and I want to unbrick this, and maintain the original data (if achievable). Is this something you can help with (will pay you for your time of course!). I’m an Auckland boy that’s living in Vic, and would have to post it over if so - there aren’t many people here that can help! Please flick me a dm if so! 

On 4/26/2022 at 1:04 AM, Esschargedm3 said:

Hey bro 

@M3_Power I was just doing some research on unbricking DME’s and saw one of your old posts about being able to fix almost any bricked DME. Long story short is I’ve fried mine (no communication to DME and temp needle goes straight to hot). Now, this has a custom supercharger tune on it, and I want to unbrick this, and maintain the original data (if achievable). Is this something you can help with (will pay you for your time of course!). I’m an Auckland boy that’s living in Vic, and would have to post it over if so - there aren’t many people here that can help! Please flick me a dm if so! 

Can you email me directly - aviemore.tom@gmail.com