Sign in to follow this  
louistan3

Glowing red exhaust manifold e30 - no power

Hi guys,

My e30 currently has no torque and overheats a little but the most obvious one which probably is related the previous 2 is that when I go on the motorway and stop at a petrol station my manifold glows red/orange which Is not right...

What could cause this?

Ive had a look at firing order and timing and both look right.

Any other ideas would be great. Im look ing at checking for a clogged manifold or exhaust next. Is there anything else I can check?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Either your timing is too retarded (do you have an early m20 with dizzy under manifold?)

Or a blocked cat if it has one?

Not sure bout the timing as we checked but will check again if its not the exhaust..

Yes it is an early m20 with the round dizzy by the dipstick.

Does that matter?

Much easier for the timing to be out with the dizzy version rather than the later Motronic style is what John is getting at.

Could be only a degree or two difference in the timing which is causing the two problems that you mention.

Yeah the dizzy type one the entire housing can rotate and throw timing off, so unless you have done it with a timing light then it could be a couple degrees retarded.

I see... How do you set the timing with the dizzy? That might be it then haha

I saw a young guy down here a little while ago and he had the same problem. If the timing is out the exhaust valves can be open early and fuel mix gets dumped into the manifold and burns in there making it red hot. Because the fuel is not being used properly you loose power. It's most likely a timing issue.

Could be your advance/retard on the dizzy stuck, centrifugal advance springs or vacuum advance rubber lines shot.

Ok so seems like everyone is leaning towards timing.

Will check tonight as will be borrowing a timing light.

@FRT: how could I check those? The vacuum lines on my car are pretty old and do need replacing. are the lines the one two on the diaphragm by the dizzy?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

youll soon see with the timing light if its advancing when it should, pull off and stcik you finger on it see if there is vac. have you downloaded the E30 haynes manual? got some good steps there.

Wow checked and timing was well off. Though can anyone confirm how to set it right?

According to my haynes I remove the vacuim hose and set it to 23 btdc at 5000rpm?

Ive never actually set timing before properly and I did it on a honda so was a little diff.

How would I get it to 5000rpm? And I cant seem to see any other timing lines cept for the circular notch which I aligned with the T mark.

Sorry if it the question is noob as. Haha

I just kept adjusting it till it sounded right haha. Not too sure how to set timing at idle abd what to set it to...