Sign in to follow this  
Cab

Left hand drive BMW - engine and gearbox conversion question

May be a silly question but if you have a LHD bmw and are thinking of doing an engine and manual conversion is it gonna be any different to a RHD bmw?

Thanks

Nope. Only if you have a RHD BMW and installing a LHD engine. LHD runners may not fit.

Cheers brother

What year is it btw? I just thought it would be something like an E24/E30.

If it is something from that era all the RHD cars were really just converted LHD cars anyway. So everything was the same in all other aspects.

An interesting choice of car for the swap, especially at that price. Any particular reason to choose that one?

My thoughts exactly Jon. I thought a Roller might be a cheaper option

sh*t for that price buy my M325i. At least then you have a genuine Motorsport. Not a made up one for real one money.

sh*t for that price buy my M325i. At least then you have a genuine Motorsport. Not a made up one for real one money.

Being ignorant on E30s, whats the difference other than the engine (which will be pulled out for the swap anyway)? It says in the listing this is a Msport optioned car?

Seems to me like a really good base for a toy. Looks real tidy inside and out, so you dont have to worry about spending too much fixing that up before you chuck the new engine in. Pretty high price though, but its been around a while, seller might go lower.

wasn't gunna post, but anyways.....

Being ignorant on E30s, whats the difference other than the engine (which will be pulled out for the swap anyway)? It says in the listing this is a Msport optioned car?

Seems to me like a really good base for a toy. Looks real tidy inside and out, so you dont have to worry about spending too much fixing that up before you chuck the new engine in. Pretty high price though, but its been around a while, seller might go lower.

If its an all options ticked 320i compared to a real M325i:

- All Engine, drivetrain, and suspension will be 320i spec which is weaker than 325i, even down to things like Half shafts etc

- Only all options ticked M325i got a Black headliner, all other E30s are a grey colour

I used to have a genuine BMW NZ ordered 318i in the same spec as this, kit fitted from new etc. But they demand no higher price than another other E30 that has had a kit put on it. The only E30s worth that premium are immaculate "regular" 325i and most M325i of any age

My personal opinion, if you want a V8 swapped E30, i would strongly suggest buying a 325i as a base, has the fatter suspension struts, better shocks and springs, bigger axles, etc.

Of course, if you want LHD though, then that car will be your only option

Something else i just thought of worth looking into, if you are modifying the vehicle, you may be forced to convert it to RHD???????????? worth asking the questions anyways.

And while you are on the topic, ask them if its possible to convert a car to LHD and then certify that in NZ. Then you could buy a M325i here, and import the LHD stuff from USA.

Cheers for the reply Andy. Quite a substantial difference then.