Sign in to follow this  
RobD

New Tyres

Evening ladies and germs. Need to re shoe the 335i and was wondering about the Falken Azenis FK453 and the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE02. Does anyone have experience with either of these two? Would love to hear thoughts and opinions. Sizes are 255/35/18 and 225/40/18. Cannot wait to get rid of the Michelin Pilot run flats in spite of awesome grip! The ride is not great on our roads!

I've got Potenza RE002s on 3 cars in the family now. I just love them. Great compromise on performance, durability and price. Can't speak for the ride as I only daily them on my e30 with 205/55/15s.

I've recommended them to a few friends who have also had positive experiences.

I've got Potenza RE002s on 3 cars in the family now. I just love them. Great compromise on performance, durability and price. Can't speak for the ride as I only daily them on my e30 with 205/55/15s.

I've recommended them to a few friends who have also had positive experiences.

Thanks a lot for the input. They definitely look like a good compromise and at a pretty good price to boot. Kind of silly but I like the tread pattern too.

Have you looked at the Potenza RE11s? I had been running PS2s up till now and found they were wearing out quickly. Changed to the RE11s and found they had a better ride and handled fantastically on the track days. Bought mine through Tirerack.com / kiwishipping as no-one in NZ stocked. Picked the RE11s from feedback from US forums where they are well liked by the experts there ... Just a thought ...

• Like 1

I put RE002's on the E39.

While it's not a powerhouse, there are certain places the traction control had to work hard with the old tyres in the wet. With the Potenzas, it comes on FAR less, even with provocation!

They're a very good tyre for the price - they pretty cheap (I think ours were just over $900 for the set). When Dads E30 is due, I'll tell him to get these too - he always wants good wet performance for the rare occasions that Mum drives :lol:

They're not the quietest of tyres, but are by no means loud, and don't have variation in the noise at certain speeds like some directional tyres seem to have (some seem to get rumbles or resonances).

I don't know about the Falken at all, but I'd go the RE002, just because I'm very happy with them.

The Tread pattern does look good - not too chunky on the edges (some tyres look like 4WD tyres!) and being assymetric, you can rotate them around easily, if you're into that.

I've just put a new pair of PS3s (245/40/17) on the back of my E36. The previous pair have lasted about 28,000km. Run at 33psi the tread depth was 3mm outside, 0.7mm centre and 2mm inside. So a bit overpressured.

Why not just swap run flt Michelins for normal? The ride is much better than Re002s, and there's no downside.

I deliberately set them lower than the Re001s, too. The fronts are also crowning a little at 31psi.

If you can afford it, just do Michelins. tirerack.com. Everything else is pretty much false economy and compromise (If you get the proper rating for your cars weight).

• Like 1

Insanity. Full set of PSS for US$814. Even adding shipping and GST that is half the price of buying locally.

Insanity. Full set of PSS for US$814. Even adding shipping and GST that is half the price of buying locally.

Definitely recommend Michelin PSS. So much grip! Cheapest outfit in AKL I found was Discount tyres in Grey Lynn, they can import them in for you.

• Like 1

If you can afford it, just do Michelins. tirerack.com. Everything else is pretty much false economy and compromise (If you get the proper rating for your cars weight).

PSS - I was reluctant due to the cost, but all I can say is believe the hype. The ride is so much better, wet grip is great, noise is waaay less and from reviews wear sounds excellent (300).

Plus they are best looking tyre IMO. (Love that 'rounded' profile)

Factor this in for cost - Shipping ~$300USD, GST is on cost + shipping, $50 customs fee. (+fitting and balancing)

(Edit; comparing to RE050A)

Edited by Nick G

Im on my second set of Primacys PS3. First lot lasted 3 years (and im still using my fronts) Only had to replace the rears. 1800kg 540i too. In that time the performance of them stayed mostly the same unlike other tires ive used. Only a mild loss of grip as the tire gets older after 2 years.

PSS are the ultimate for grip, youll likely 'only' get 2-3years out of them as they are a softer compound being a true super sport tire and not a touring tire.

PSS - I was reluctant due to the cost, but all I can say is believe the hype. The ride is so much better, wet grip is great, noise is waaay less and from reviews wear sounds excellent (300).

Plus they are best looking tyre IMO. (Love that 'rounded' profile)

Factor this in for cost - Shipping ~$300USD, GST is on cost + shipping, $50 customs fee. (+fitting and balancing)

(Edit; comparing to RE050A)

Basically USD 814 is NZD 990. Shipping quote (including both US and NZ charges) is NZD 330. Add GST on cost and freight and it becomes NZD 1,500 in round figures. That's still over a $1,200 cheaper than Hyperdrive were charging even for PS2, which was superseded by the PSS. Besides, they only bad the size for the front tyres available locally in PSS. All in all, if you're prepared to go through the hassle and wait, it makes so much more sense to import privately. From everything I've heard the PSS is basically the best commercially available road tyre you can buy, but then again it's all subjective and everyone. Will have their own opinions as ever.

^ Bridgestone RE070. :)

Was looking at them on an R35 yesterday, they look wicked.

They only seem to be available in a couple of sizes, but definitely a good looking tyre. I'm waiting on a price from Discount Tyres in Grey Lynn for the Pilots so that should be interesting.

FYI as a rough guideline I got a pair of 275/35/18 PSS for $1500 through discount tyres. I scored a pair of 245/40/18 PSS brand new for the front of TM for $600

prepared to go through the hassle and wait

I did have some hassle as they struggled to verify my credit card, got there in the end. (sent an email from my work address?)

Wait - was like 6 days and they were on my doorstep.

All up I was fitted for well under $2k

It's kind of sad local shops can't come close. I would rather support local business, but the gap is a piss take.

Edited by Nick G

Well this is just it. I resent the idea that local outfits are just adding on huge margins for the sake of it and penalising their customer base. It's not 1987 anymore and thanks to the internet and cheap(ish) shipping we simply aren't slaves to distance and huge duties like we used to be. Suppliers here need to realise that otherwise in time everyone is just going to buy everything online. There is a shop on Customs St West in Auckland City that sells men's business shoes - the exact same brand and style I (and about 90% of guys there) used to wear to work in London. Over there, they cost me around 140 quid. Here, the guy is charing $700. Now, you can order those exact shoes direct from various stores in London and only be subject to exchange rate and 25 quid shipping, meaning if I wanted to I could land them for about $320. The guy is living in the past.

Edited by RobD
  • Like 2

Well this is just it.  I resent the idea that local outfits are just adding on huge margins for the sake of it and penalising their customer base.  It's not 1987 anymore and thanks to the internet and cheap(ish) shipping we simply aren't slaves to distance and huge duties like we used to be.  Suppliers here need to realise that otherwise in time everyone is just going to buy everything online.  There is a shop on Customs St West in Auckland City that sells men's business shoes - the exact same brand and style I (and about 90% of guys there) used to wear to work in London.  Over there, they cost me around 140 quid.  Here, the guy is charing $700.  Now, you can order those exact shoes direct from various stores in London and only be subject to exchange rate and 25 quid shipping, meaning if I wanted to I could land them for about $320.  The guy is living in the past. 

the point is with items like that people dont shop around. Is he better t sell 8 pairs at 700 or 10 pairs a 350.

There are many items i work with on razor slim 5% margins but also many with literally up to a 3000% mark up. Cant go into more really but its amazing what some items cost to build.

the point is with items like that people dont shop around. Is he better t sell 8 pairs at 700 or 10 pairs a 350.

There are many items i work with on razor slim 5% margins but also many with literally up to a 3000% mark up. Cant go into more really but its amazing what some items cost to build.

Essentially he is targeting people who don't know any better. It isn't about margins, because in this case I know that there is already enough of a margin for a popular High Street retailer to sell them at £140. So by effectively selling his at the equivalent of £350 he is nothing more than a rip off merchant. The other aspect is that British business shoes are perceived as higher quality (usually they are) so he will be basing his inflated prices on that. More power to him if he sells enough to make a living but I bet he'd still sell more and make more net profit of they were cheaper.

Im on my second set of Primacys PS3. First lot lasted 3 years (and im still using my fronts) Only had to replace the rears. 1800kg 540i too. In that time the performance of them stayed mostly the same unlike other tires ive used. Only a mild loss of grip as the tire gets older after 2 years.

PSS are the ultimate for grip, youll likely 'only' get 2-3years out of them as they are a softer compound being a true super sport tire and not a touring tire.

any degredation of other factors,ie tramlining noise ?