Sign in to follow this  
handgrenade

EOI: More gear from the USA. Sea Freight!

Hello everyone

Due to unforeseen circumstances .. I am organising another box of gear from the USA.

There was some mix up with a part number (which was missed by both me and the other person) so I am bringing in another box with another set of rotors. (We ordered the wrong ones). I'll be taking the hit for this one, good thing that the member is a bloody good guy and is going to wait for them to arrive by sea. The rotors that we did order though are for an e9x 335i (sedan, coupe, vert, wagon whatever), so hopefully I can onsale these and things will even out. PM me if you are interested in a pair of plated slotted front brake discs for your 335!

There was a little mishap on the UUC end last time as well - they forgot to send some pads which another member ordered. This is being taken care of right now, UUC at their cost is sending the items airfreight so hopefully we can run that one to ground too in the next week or so.

Now .. I was hoping to wait until everyone was happy with all their parts before starting this again, but because I have to organise another sea box anyway for the replacement rotors, I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone else wants parts which are heavy to airfreight and difficult to process through the required duty/customs/etc. after going through it all once, it seems that once you have put in the work to set up the process, its actually not too bad to just run parts through again.

Also the interesting thing is that it doesn't have to be UUC to order from. I just need the get the parts to a specific place in LA to make it onto the boat! So that opens up almost the whole USA market .. with some places which offer free/cheap ground shipping in the continental USA, its a pretty good deal as well.

So .. fill your boots, PM me with a link to the item you want a quote on, and I will provide a price for it turning up on your doorstep in 6-8 weeks .. just in time for summer! You can also post here for a quote if you don't want to kill my inbox.

Also ... a lesson learnt last time - please confirm part numbers with the link. Most suppliers have an internal SKU item code or similar, but its just that extra check to make sure we're ordering the right part to fit the right car .. lots of places sell identical performance/maintenance/OEM upgrades for a wide range of BMWs so it is easy to get things a little mixed up and order something for the wrong model/year etc.

For those who are interested in how the process went last time, please see this post:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/49813-eoi-new-box-usa-bmw-performance-parts-dealers-group-shipping-preferred-uuc-though-or-anything-arp/

a few members who have received their parts have left feedback. Hopefully I will be able to sort out the other two members shortly and have their feedback soon too!!

Thanks and happy internet-window shopping!!

im after a MAF which seems to vary between $150-400 usd. is it worth ordering this and getting it sent along with your stuff or should i not bother and just air frieght it since its not a big item?

never ordered car parts from the states before so complete noob.

cheers

im after a MAF which seems to vary between $150-400 usd. is it worth ordering this and getting it sent along with your stuff or should i not bother and just air frieght it since its not a big item?

never ordered car parts from the states before so complete noob.

cheers

Hey Kyu .. depends if you need it in a hurry or not.

Do you have a link to where you were thinking of purchasing the item from? And a part number too please. I will give you a price for both sea and airfreight and see which one you want to go with .. or whether you just want to go it yourself!

Can't hurt to get different quotes, different shipping methods do make a big difference when trying to move parts around the world.

Is this worth it for smaller parts? Keen to get some bits like new headlight lenses, windscreen cowl, and other random bits that are usually expensive to order due to shipping.

If so I'll nail down what I want and send you the list.

Edited by Matth5

Can't hurt to get a quote. Nail down a parts list and I will get back to you with a price, part numbers are best along with the website that you found the parts from so I can check stock.

PM me when you have the info.

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up, debated last time but might go ahead with some springs and bars this time.

Will do some shopping and let you know.

That's very decent of you. Especially since Justin already has enough projects to last him until the new ones arrive! ;)

Sweet as .. With the group buy thing there is always some element of trust / responsibility / accountability .. Just the nature of it all.

Might not use UUC as much this time .. Most of the items arrived without part marking on the individual items! Good thing that e30s and e36s have different stud patterns. The springs were marked by HnR. And yeah the tough part is the sea freight and receiving here in nz and then distribution along with the various errors that the retailers make. Hence why using any other USA based retailer is about the same amount of logistical work.

For springs this time I will probably go straight to the HnR distributer. Think they can do a better price but we'll see how many sets people are keen for. The more the better .. Bulk = discount!

Cheers

Man - I hope there is some advantage in this for you! Sounds like a LOT of work! Just getting your own parts in cheaply doesn't sound like much reward!

Shipping big stuff from the US is (usually) so ridiculously expensive.

I wanted to buy a pair of brake pressure switches (under US$20) and shipping was going to be US$54!!!!

Then on the other hand, I just ordered some goodies, and a COMPLETE gearbox rebuild kit for the Model A (everything but the case: bearings, shafts, gears, clutch, universal, etc) and shipping was "only" US$180 ish. I was surprised - I was expecting them to email saying shipping was actually US$400 or something stupid.

Maybe if I find a cheap M54 supercharger, I'll need to PM you B)

What postcode should we use in the USA for estimating shipping and delivery times with suppliers? i.e. what's the USA destination post code?

LA docks

post code is

my quoted prices are all inclusive anyway (including US domestic shipping, sea shipping and then local NZ domestic shipping). so unless you're just interested in the lead times etc, thats the post code .. however will be trying to get anything which requires sea freight in the same box on the same boat !!

Thanks! any questions feel free to ask

Edited by handgrenade

Same box, same boat is absolutely what I'd expect.

When do you expect/need the LA depot date to be?

flexible right now .. you'd be surprised how many ships do leave USA and head our way .. some go various routes and stop various places, hence the variability in lead times/shipment, I check the rosters and itineraries and choose the direct one last time. I mean, there were a few but I asked to hold for a couple of days to make a faster overall boat.

right now the USA is still in sunday mode, so with the quotes i've been asked for this time round, i would plan to organise for a shipment maybe next week sometime. sea freight is more flexible than you'd think .. (lots of space!) just splitting shipments gets even messier.

but yeah. it was a mission the first time, but once sorting out a good contact in each area, i am really hoping this one will be more smooth!!! haha.

Okay, in the hope of starting a trend, because I believe you should be rewarded for your efforts:

If I proceed with my intended purchase, and my purchase is over US$500 (excluding shipping and tax) I will donate NZ$50 to the 'handgrenade' fund.

By my calculation I can save ~NZ$200 on a US$500 purchase so I think giving 25% of that to the facilitator is fair.

I encourage others to think along the same lines.

Mate, thats awesome of you to suggest that! Cheers

But I understand everyone has their own means and a lot of people have a budget to stick to and sometimes even stretching to buy parts, even at the great prices by getting them in via sea freight!! So I'm not expecting anything .. I deal with a lot of international logistics with my day job, so this is just something extra but instead of sorting out boring work parts, I get to shop on peoples behalf for cool car parts !!! (plus its a good break in the day taking time out to track/check/order/quote on various car bits, breaks the monotony of work lol)

im a believer of what goes around comes around .. met heaps of really cool people on here and the scene is so much better than the other car clubs i've participated in! Like Kyu opening his shop in the weekend for us to meet up and have a coffee and a chat .. Ray@HellBM and Josh helping out with datalogging on the last dyno meet .. others putting heaps of effort into organising meets and cruises, putting up photos and all that.

so yeah, its all good peeps, not asking or expecting anything extra .. just send me a message with what you're keen on purchasing, and lets get everyone some nice shiny new bits for our pride and joys!!

Cowl and caps dave lol

Alsmpart numbers shown ken

Edited by euroriffic

Haha okay let me get back to both of you tomorrow. Need to update spreadsheets and I'm sleepy. Lol

Looks good to me, better get new caps, clips, grommets and seals too

Hey Ken... What would it cost to get these with your shipment?

post-16586-0-47137500-1411432300.png

Cheers

Jooles

ECS Tuning.

EDIT: It was the only one that I could find still stocking the remote key for my 8er (they want $600 for one in NZ).

Edited by jeffbebe

Shows up bottom of cowl pageattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks good to me, better get new caps, clips, grommets and seals too

Hey kids, how many of each do you need??? Or am I being blind??

A list of part numbers would be great!

Thanks!

ECS Tuning.

EDIT: It was the only one that I could find still stocking the remote key for my 8er (they want $600 for one in NZ).

cool, checking now .. can you code it yourself here in nz?

Hey kids, how many of each do you need??? Or am I being blind??

A list of part numbers would be great!

Thanks!

Need 10 clips and grommets, and 6 of the push on ones