Sign in to follow this  
*RJ*

Would my car tow a boat???

Hey guys, a random question I know but dad said lastnight I could take our boat out this summer by myself so I can take the boys away fishing and wakeboarding.

Now the thing is the boat is at the beach house 2 hours away and if I wanted to take the boat out I'd have to drive the Discovery down. I'd rather drive my BMW.

Would my auto 320i be able to tow a boat 500m down the road, put it up and down the boat ramp and back to the house (another 500m) without any hassle?

Your thoughts? It's a 5.66m boat similar to the one below:

Posted Image

But if I get a towbar it'll be good for parking in town... And look what I get to play with!!

Edited by *RJ*

It poss could, but i wouldn't. the ramp would be the thing. You really don't want to have a ton tand a half to two ton pulling your car backwards down a slippery slope towards salt water with only one wheel making traction (unless you have LSD).

Its like andrews e36 pulling his e30 - it could, but your looking at around 1.5 ton plus for car and trailer - even braked, think of the stress on the chassis, drive train and brakes of all that weight. And what do you do if the trailer decides to go a different direction than the car? It weighs more, so it wins - you go where it wants.

I've done a fair bit of towing - what is possble and what is safe are different things. I've seen a brand new Ford xr8 gofor a swim at the boat ramp. Glad I'm not that guy. up to you, but be very careful.

We towed a 2100kg boat with a 320i, then sold it. I think it's now the only long wheelbase 320i in Tauranga. It actually did it fine, including up the ramp, but I wouldn't make a habit of it, at least not in my car.

It poss could, but i wouldn't. the ramp would be the thing. You really don't want to have a ton tand a half to two ton pulling your car backwards down a slippery slope towards salt water with only one wheel making traction (unless you have LSD).

Its like andrews e36 pulling his e30 - it could, but your looking at around 1.5 ton plus for car and trailer - even braked, think of the stress on the chassis, drive train and brakes of all that weight. And what do you do if the trailer decides to go a different direction than the car? It weighs more, so it wins - you go where it wants.

I've done a fair bit of towing - what is possble and what is safe are different things. I've seen a brand new Ford xr8 gofor a swim at the boat ramp. Glad I'm not that guy. up to you, but be very careful.

Surely a Holden or Ford could pull that? And there is that much difference between them and a 320i?

doesnt it fully kill the auto gearbox (f its an auto) i wouldnt be keen, just take the discovery and look pimp

You can if you must but I would not do it.

Slippery ramp + Rear Wheel Drive = Burn-Out / Drown + Corrosion Damage down the line

You can if you must but I would not do it.

Slippery ramp + Rear Wheel Drive = Burn-Out / Drown + Corrosion Damage down the line

Rear wheel drives make the best towing vehicles, do it, the auto box will at least give you some decent pull as you rev it to 6000rpm

Surely a Holden or Ford could pull that? And there is that much difference between them and a 320i?

It's the traction and the weight of the vehicle to control the trailer that is the issue - not the performance of the engine. People think that because they have a towball and the car makes forward progress with the trailer attached, it must be ok - wrong!

Twisted chassis and the trailer overtaking you are not fun things I'd recommend to top off u'r holiday. Tow sensibly people! Your car was not designed to have 1.5 ton of boat attached to it! Unless u have a bigger car like a 5 or seven, don't bother. Even then avoid ramps.

The big fords etc are fine on the road as they have the weight advantage and the pulling power - but traction on a wet ramp is an issue, and apart from the damage to your car, theirs the loss of pride as you extract your car from the sea in front of a crowd of laughing boaties at the crowded ramp in summer.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Ok looks like I won't be doing it then... Will just have to use the Disco - it's Diesel so will be a cheap trip down, cruise control too!!

hes only towing the boat 500m isnt he????,but traction at the ramp can be an issue even with slope and weight of trailer putting more weight on the rear wheels.And dont forgetto put the bungs bac in the boat!!!Dont laugh i have seen it happen whena mate borrowed a mates boat.....

same, but this time is was a mate of a mate of a mate.

meal mate mate?

this is very interesting reading. i might have to rethink my plans and do some investigation of my own.

as paul said. 500m i dont think will be a problem. a boat ramp is only a problem if you treat it as one. i have towed a boat with my mates L200 ute. gutless but i dont think it any different to a euro towing something.

i know to some people a tow bar on a BMW is a sin. but hay, i have one.

i know to some people a tow bar on a BMW is a sin. but hay, i have one.

dude towing is your Biddnis....so its totally acceptable for your BMW to have to towbar.

EVERYONE ELSE IS BANNED THOUGH!